United Football League

random_ax

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that's the slate Brian, they're choosing wisely. Let's break 'em down:

BIRMINGHAM

- No NFL presence to compete with.

- Past history of supporting 'renegade' pro leagues.

LAS VEGAS

- No NFL presence to compete with. In fact, no major pro sports anything to compete with, really.

- City is eager to have a professional team presence, and knows it'll NEVER get an NFL franchise.

LOS ANGELES

- Needed strictly for TV ratings presuming it gets a contract somewhere. Otherwise, it'll be ugly.

MEMPHIS

- No NFL presence to compete with. In fact pissed at the NFL for allowing the Oilers to move to Nashville rather than Memphis.

- Past history of supporting 'renegade' pro leagues.

NEW YORK

- Two NFL teams, but each sell out their stadium regularly, so no attendance-related issues there.

- Metropolitan area that could financially support (by study, not by my yanking numbers out of my ass) 6 NFL franchises. So they could handle one UFL one.

ORLANDO

- No NFL presence to compete with. One could argue Tampa represents competition, but Orlando's its own market.

- If the UFL went to six teams this would be the first market I'd drop, but a presence in Florida will be essential for the UFL to survive.

SACRAMENTO

- No NFL presence to compete with; other than the Kings, no real pro sports to compete with for $$$.

- Could have facilities issues if they draw well enough, but like Los Angeles the television market is appealing.

SAN ANTONIO

- In the 80's the Gunslingers tanked because of rampant mismanagement and a dinky H.S. stadium. Presumably the UFL would be better managed and in the Alamodome.

However, Huyghue needs to focus his efforts on (1) launching the initial product (i.e., the inaugural season), (2) landing a national television contract, and then (3) survival. Any talk of expansion on his part - even if prompted - isn't just speculative at this point, it's plain asinine.

I like all of those except Sacramento, which I would replace with Austin, TX or Columbus, OH. Sacramento doesn't have a stadium that is up to pro football standards.

I don't think Sacramento is that bad. There IS of course Charles C. Hughes Stadium, which seats 23,000 and once hosted the Sacramento Surge of the old World League.

YOZXkBG.png?1

It wasa friend of mine who interviewing Huyghue while he was visiting in New Yor. I set up the interview for him.

The stated goal of the league is to have 16 teams and to go into Europe by 2011. Frankfurt and Dusseldorf will of course get serious consideration, but a lot of ground work has to be done first. American sports, especially football, took it on the chin because of the stupidity of the NFL (worse management be it sports or business you will never see). Frankfurt told the NFL to !@_$)(#@#$ off when they proposed an American Bowl game. The mayor and fans are seething at the NFL. Having said that, there may be a future battle going on for the name and colors f both the Galaxy and the Fire.

If the league is smart, it cuts deals to play in those "soccer-only" stadia - San Jose, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York (Harrison, NJ - which will work if the Red Bulls' owner, who wanted an NFL E franchise can be persuaded to go to the UFL), Columbus, etc.

BTW, Birmingham wants to build a domed stadium and the mayor says the need n anchor tenant.

Start small, build big.

It wasa friend of mine who interviewing Huyghue while he was visiting in New Yor. I set up the interview for him.

The stated goal of the league is to have 16 teams and to go into Europe by 2011. Frankfurt and Dusseldorf will of course get serious consideration, but a lot of ground work has to be done first. American sports, especially football, took it on the chin because of the stupidity of the NFL (worse management be it sports or business you will never see). Frankfurt told the NFL to !@_$)(#@#$ off when they proposed an American Bowl game. The mayor and fans are seething at the NFL. Having said that, there may be a future battle going on for the name and colors f both the Galaxy and the Fire.

If the league is smart, it cuts deals to play in those "soccer-only" stadia - San Jose, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York (Harrison, NJ - which will work if the Red Bulls' owner, who wanted an NFL E franchise can be persuaded to go to the UFL), Columbus, etc.

BTW, Birmingham wants to build a domed stadium and the mayor says the need n anchor tenant.

Start small, build big.

Get smited by the NFL. Or the NCAA. Or High school football in certain markets. :blink:

Personally I can't see professional American football rising above the "niche" level in Europe, much like professional US-based soccer will be unable to pass "niche" level. At a certain point, which we may have already reached, the effort is not worth the resources.

I really doubt this league will last.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Start small, build big.

Any pro football league that wants to venture into European markets (aside from the NFL) must realize that they'll be a niche market team, and must operate accordingly - i.e., low fixed player costs (or better, salaries based as a percentage of team revenues), playing in facilities that aren't cavernous (why play in, and pay for, a 50,000 seat stadium when you can do better with one that only holds 20K?), and be prepared to market, market, market the game moreso than the team.

A European professional league would work. I've been convinced of that for over a decade, and honestly I think under the right circumstances it would work in certain areas of Asia as well. But ONLY if it realizes its limits going in, from day one. European gridiron football will NEVER supplant futbol. It will never come close. Don't treat every game like a Super Bowl. Don't overhype. Give an honest product that's entertaining, and people will come.

Huyghue is dreaming. It's not an unrealistic dream by any means, but as I've said before, the focus is way, way off. Get the league stable, at a point where it's not losing money, where there's no immediate fear of franchises relocating or folding... THEN worry about expansion.

nav-logo.png

I don't understand how a league that hasn't even started yet, can even think about expanding into overseas. That is ridiculous thinking. How about you make sure it works in the US first, that's kind of an important step.

Are you kiddin' me?

Why stop with 'overseas'? They should plan on having games in 'outer space'.

This league doesn't have a chance.

I don't understand how a league that hasn't even started yet, can even think about expanding into overseas. That is ridiculous thinking. How about you make sure it works in the US first, that's kind of an important step.

Are you kiddin' me?

Why stop with 'overseas'? They should plan on having games in 'outer space'.

This league doesn't have a chance.

Sounds great. We can have the Moon Landers vs. the Mars Rovers. The Pluto Bloodhounds vs. the Uranus Probers (Ok, that was juvenile, but too much fun).

Maybe we could put a team on Europa (one of Jupiter's Moons) and Titan (one of Saturn's Moons), but that's just my imagination.

Anyway, if London gets a team, they'll probably play at Wembley Stadium; however, Twickenham Stadium could work as well.

By the way, as far as nicknames are concerned, I would suggest the London Monarchs. In case you were wondering, there used to be an WLAF/NFL-E team in London known as the Monarchs.

YOZXkBG.png?1

In case you were wondering, there used to be an WLAF/NFL-E team in London known as the Monarchs.

Really?!?!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Additionally, there are plans in place to award franchises in Riverdale, Springfield, Metropolis, Gotham City, and Parts Unknown.

Riverdale? Gotham City? I can't take a football league seriously that would consider expanding to those markets.

HA! I'm probably the only one on these boards who got that. God, I love comic-book jokes! Might I suggest Fawcett City, or perhaps Bludhaven?

A team in Coast City would be such a feel-good story.

Austin Wranglers (Lots of herders/wranglers in the Texas area)

Birmingham Vulcans (Agree with most/some)

Columbus Aviators (Birthplace of flying right?)

Raleigh Oaks (Agree with most/some)

Las Vegas Buzzards (High population of vultures in Nevada)

Louisville Mustangs (Perfect for the Kentucky Derby)

Memphis Centurions (Fits nicely I think)

New York Emperors (Agree with most/some)

Oklahoma Cyclones (Many tornadoes start in the Oklahoma panhandle)

Sacramento Stags (Many deer call the Sacramento River home)

San Antonio Scorpions (Agree with most/some)

Here are some I just thought I might add:

Phoenix Rattlesnakes (Huge population of rattlesnakes in Arizona)

New Mexico Comets (Makes sense with the Area 51 rumors going about)

In case you were wondering, there used to be an WLAF/NFL-E team in London known as the Monarchs.

Really?!?!

Yup, there was.

In fact, look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Monarchs

I guess Leopard88 needed to use the sarcasm smiley after all.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

"Las Vegas Buzzards (High population of vultures in Nevada)"

Well....why...wouldn't you call them...Las Vegas Vultures....... doesn't vulture sound somehow cooler...than...buzzards?

Austin: There's already an af2 team in Austin called the Wranglers (formerly of the Arena Football League); instead, I would suggest Marshals, Gauchos, or Rebels; too bad I can't use Toros since the NBA D-League's Austin team have it.

Birmingham: Vulcans is the obvious option.

Columbus:Aviators would be pretty good; Senators would make a nice name as well, since Columbus is the state capital of Ohio.

Raleigh: I agree with Oaks.

Las Vegas: I agree with random_ax on Vultures.

Louisville: Mustangs, good; Stallions, even better.

Memphis: Centurions would sound perfect.

New York: Emperors looks really good, and so does Imperials.

Oklahoma: Cyclones sounds perfect.

Sacramento: Stags would work.

San Antonio: I really like Scorpions for this team.

By the way, you forgot Los Angeles. I would've named them the Stars.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Additionally, there are plans in place to award franchises in Riverdale, Springfield, Metropolis, Gotham City, and Parts Unknown.

Riverdale? Gotham City? I can't take a football league seriously that would consider expanding to those markets.

HA! I'm probably the only one on these boards who got that. God, I love comic-book jokes! Might I suggest Fawcett City, or perhaps Bludhaven?

That would be great. 'The Coast City.........' What's the plural form of Parallax, again?

Sigs are for sissies.

That would be great. 'The Coast City.........' What's the plural form of Parallax, again?

The plural form of 'parallax' is 'parallaxes'.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived