United Football League

random_ax

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead (but not the graveyard)... there's been some news just released yesterday:

1. There will be only FOUR cities in this "premiere" season beginning later this year: Orlando, Las Vegas, San Francisco, and New York.
  2. Coaches have been selected for the four teams, and they are pretty big names: Dennis Green for San Francisco, Jim Fassel for Las Vegas, Jim Haslett for Orlando, and Ted Cottrell for NY.
  3. The league will play some games in Los Angeles and Hartford (can you say next year's franchise's -- if the league survives, of course?)
  4. Only announced home venue is AT&T Stadium in San Francisco.
  5. Games will be played on Thursday and Friday nights. Six week regular seson begining in October, ending in early December.
  6. A TV deal with Versus is already signed

Link to UFL website

There is also a "name the team" entry form on the website, for those so inclined.

I dunno; while the list of head coaches IS impressive, four teams just doesn't seem to work. Also, Thursday nights are for ESPN college football games, Friday nights may be okay for viewership... I heard Denny Green on Mike and Mike in the morning discussing it today; He made it sound almost like a farm system for the NFL, as the UFL will only start after the NFL final roster cut and be finished in time for the NFL to add to their roster in the last month of the season.....

It is what it is.

So Denny Green actually confirmed this? When I read the press release, I didn't believe it. It just seemed to crazy to be true that these former NFL coaches would sign on to a start-up league that most of the sports consuming public has never heard about.

Good for the UFL, though. This might give them a shred of legitimacy.

Bringing this thread back from the dead (but not the graveyard)... there's been some news just released yesterday:

1. There will be only FOUR cities in this "premiere" season beginning later this year: Orlando, Las Vegas, San Francisco, and New York.
  2. Coaches have been selected for the four teams, and they are pretty big names: Dennis Green for San Francisco, Jim Fassel for Las Vegas, Jim Haslett for Orlando, and Ted Cottrell for NY.
  3. The league will play some games in Los Angeles and Hartford (can you say next year's franchise's -- if the league survives, of course?)
  4. Only announced home venue is AT&T Stadium in San Francisco.
  5. Games will be played on Thursday and Friday nights. Six week regular seson begining in October, ending in early December.
  6. A TV deal with Versus is already signed

Link to UFL website

There is also a "name the team" entry form on the website, for those so inclined.

I dunno; while the list of head coaches IS impressive, four teams just doesn't seem to work. Also, Thursday nights are for ESPN college football games, Friday nights may be okay for viewership... I heard Denny Green on Mike and Mike in the morning discussing it today; He made it sound almost like a farm system for the NFL, as the UFL will only start after the NFL final roster cut and be finished in time for the NFL to add to their roster in the last month of the season.....

I've heard it pitched as the UFL getting into a bidding war with the NFL over backups and recent college alums. Certainly not a partnership, but rather an adversarial relationship. Of course, your core market demographic, from what I've heard and seen since forever, doesn't watch TV on Friday either.

That said...let's look over their coaching roster....

Jim Fassel-apparently unpalatable to NFL ownerships since he hasn't been a head coach since 2003.

Denny Green-unhireable in the NFL since the beer commercial tirade.

Ted Cottrell-never been a head coach, lately sacked over the Chargers' poor start last season.

Jim Haslett-*uncontrollable fit of the giggles* proven to be completely unqualified and unhireable as a NFL head coach.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I've submitted these names for ideas:

- Orlando Barracudas

- New York Gothams

- Las Vegas Jokers

- San Francisco Sea Lions

I see a trend here....

Next year, will we have the Hartford Batmen? the Los Angeles Robins? :P

It is what it is.

- Orlando Barracudas

- New York Gothams

- Las Vegas Jokers

I see a trend here....

-Portland Penguins

-Raleigh Riddlers

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

- Orlando Barracudas

- New York Gothams

- Las Vegas Jokers

I see a trend here....

-Portland Penguins

-Raleigh Riddlers

Hartford Harlequins

Trenton Two-faces

San Antonio Scarecrows

I don't understand why anyone would attempt to make a football league that would directly compete with the NFL in the fall. I think a spring league would work great if they did it correctly (The XFL was never really taken seriously). You think the USFL would have taught these guys a lesson.

I don't understand why anyone would attempt to make a football league that would directly compete with the NFL in the fall. I think a spring league would work great if they did it correctly (The XFL was never really taken seriously). You think the USFL would have taught these guys a lesson.

You would think. But alas, common sense has seemed to escape the world these days.

jNTsTyQ.png

Wow. Talk about Jeckyl and Hyde. Every time I'm about to completely write off the UFL, they pull something out of their ass that gets my attention in a positive light. These coaching hirings do that. Not top flight NFL talent, but nonetheless known "names" that bring some credibility with them.

nav-logo.png

- Orlando Barracudas

- New York Gothams

- Las Vegas Jokers

I see a trend here....

Ha, completly missed that. I just likeds Gothams as an NY name, and I wanted something deck of cards-related for Vegas.

Wow. Talk about Jeckyl and Hyde. Every time I'm about to completely write off the UFL, they pull something out of their ass that gets my attention in a positive light. These coaching hirings do that. Not top flight NFL talent, but nonetheless known "names" that bring some credibility with them.

Meh. Four retreads from a league that had - in the past - made noise about providing head-coaching opportunities to young, innovative talent overlooked by the NFL. Sorry, but Ted Cottrell doesn't qualify as "young"... or, particularly "innovative" for that matter.

Four teams playing six games each spread amongst seven cities strikes me as bush-league. The UFL's so-called "Premiere" season is nothing more than a last-gasp, face-saving effort that has been undertaken solely because the league's founders knew that another postponement of launch would have sounded the circuit's death-knell. They're hoping that this half-assed effort somehow lures enough interest from prospective fans and - more importantly - additional investors to warrant the launch of a full-scale season in 2010. Good luck with that.

The UFL was behind the proverbial "eight-ball" to begin with. All of the talk of bringing pro football to underserved markets notwithstanding, the fall calendar is chock-full of football available to the sports consumer. The NFL and major college football more than sate the appetite of football fans in the fall, not to mention that smaller college programs and high school teams also appeal to certain fans. Further, despite their stated desire to bring football to cities "underserved" by the NFL, the UFL has placed two of the inaugural season's four franchises in New York and the San Francisco Bay Area - markets currently served by no fewer than four NFL franchises. Additionally, the UFL's Orlando-based franchise sets-up shop just 80-some miles from the home of the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers. So much for "underserved".

It was also going to be frightfully difficult to effectively market a new pro sports venture to the targeted fanbase with just three home game-dates available on which to schedule live events. That problem is exacerbated with at least three of the franchises splitting their "home" games between two markets. With just two "home" games in one municipality and one "home" game in the other city, teams will face an exponentially more difficult time in connecting with their fans and drumming-up local media coverage. If, as has been rumored, all four teams are based at the league's proposed Casa Grande, Arizona training complex throughout the season, only flying to "home" cities for games, I can almost guarantee that the franchises will be "out of sight... out of mind" when it comes to registering on the local media's radar.

Sorry, but to my mind, this effort still has "train-wreck" written all over it. I'll be surprised if the UFL ever plays a full-scale season in 2010. I'll be absolutely flabbergasted if the league sees Season 3 in 2011.

Brian, I don't disagree with a word you posted; I just think that they're a little schizophrenic (sp?) in their operational strategy: cut costs by operating with a limited season , but unquestionably spend decent money to hire head coaches that have names. Cut costs by cutting the number of franchises, but sign a TV deal with Versus - one of only two cable outlets I'd consider if launching a venture of this type myself. Based on what I've seen and heard about the UFL, it's a case of hitting the nail on the head with one strike of the hammer, and hitting your thumb so hard it breaks on the next.

nav-logo.png

That's the problem with playing in the fall.

They have 25 games in total-I can watch that many in 2-3 weeks during the fall already without Versus. How can you make a dent in the face of that?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived