United Football League

random_ax

Just a thought but something tells me that if the league survives and thrives and adds teams in Europe, the cities of Frankfurt and Dusseldorf will duke it out with the NFL for the Frankfurt Galaxy and Rhein Fire names, colors and trademarks. In fact there was a movement in Frankfurt to have the Galaxy name and colors remain with the City of Frankfurt.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a thought but something tells me that if the league survives and thrives and adds teams in Europe, the cities of Frankfurt and Dusseldorf will duke it out with the NFL for the Frankfurt Galaxy and Rhein Fire names, colors and trademarks. In fact there was a movement in Frankfurt to have the Galaxy name and colors remain with the City of Frankfurt.

IIRC the AFL owns the rights to these identities as well, now...

Only if you wanted to attract commuters and office wonks - RTP is essentially a commercial zone of sorts rather than a community per se. Imagine playing the original SimCity and putting all your commercial zones in the top-center of the screen, with little to no residential and a smattering of industrial - and you've got the idea.

Funny....I did just that, and only a few commercial zones have buildings after 15 years. :wacko:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

San Antonio ought to be the Toros. The SA Toros were a pro and semi-pro traveling football squad that dates back to the 1800s.

There has to be something better for Austin than Lawmen or Mustangs.

FsQiF2W.png

Austin Juggernauts

Birmingham Bolts

Columbus Explorers

Las Vegas Gamblers

Los Angeles Terminators or Stealth

Louisville Stallions

Memphis Riverboats

New York Imperials

Oklahoma City Outlaws

Orlando Breakers

Carolina (Raleigh) Calonials

San Antonio Roughriders

#DTWD #GoJaguars

IIRC the AFL owns the rights to these identities as well, now...

That's what a rumor said last summer, but has there been any substance to back this up? That whole "AFL Europe" thing (preseason games in 2008, expansion by 2009) seems to have been a pipedream...

Ideas from the mind of buzzcut(Most cities considered for the league are here)

Austin Freakazoids: Yeah, I get the reference

Birmingham Ironmen: Honors the city's steel industry

Columbus Panhandles: Honors the old NFL team of the 20's

Kentuck Colonels: Too easy

Las Vegas Martians: Area 51 reference

Los Angeles Stars: Too easy

Memphis Rattlers: Play on Copperheads

Mexico City Coyotes

New York Universe: You see the reference don't you?

Oklahoma Wildcatters: Oil reference

Orlando Rockets: Refers to Cape Canaveral

Raleigh Explorers

Sacramento Rush: Yes, it's a ripoff of the Chicago Rush, but rightfully refers to California's gold rush(and it also refers to the game of football itself)

San Antonio Mustangs

Toronto Towers: Logo would be the CN Tower

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Memphis Earthquakes: The New Madrid seismic zone doesn't quite reach Memphis, actually; however, the name Earthquakes sounds interesting. Though I would still go with Centurions, Copperheads, Pharaohs, or even something river-related (i.e.: Rivermen, RiverDogs, RiverSharks -- sort of, River Rats, RiverCats -- I know it's a name of a Triple-A baseball team in Sacramento but it could work, etc.).

Read "8.4", by Peter Hernon. Suffice it to say that if the "Big One" ever happens with the New Madrid fault, Memphis is going to feel it.

Correct. Let's just say it ain't that easy to get earthquake insurance around here. Only a couple companies are still selling policies.

I like the Memphis Earthquakes name. It would cause a lot of confusion at first, but as announcers explained why that's the name, hopefully people will see that it works for teams outside of California.

I hope the team in Austin never gets called the Freakazoids. Probably Scorpions or Comanches or 35ers (after Anglo American settlers who arrived there in 1835 when Texas was still part of Mexico).

YOZXkBG.png?1

Yes the AFL thing is just a rumor. Frankfurt doesn't even have a suitable arena and there isn't one on the planning board, so why would the AFL even invest in a name?

The folks in Europe in those cities are pissed big time at the NFL and the NFL is dead in Germany. There's no indication anything American-football related will work in Germany again - unless its a pan-European venture only run by solid businesses.

By the way, for those of you who don't know much about some of the teams across the pond, here are some of the more well-known teams:

Paris Flash

Vienna Vikings

Budapest Black Knights

Stockholm Mean Machine

Geneva Seahawks

London Ravens

Yes the AFL thing is just a rumor. Frankfurt doesn't even have a suitable arena and there isn't one on the planning board, so why would the AFL even invest in a name?

"Just in case."

That and it's difficult to get people over here to buy into the AFL nowadays.

The folks in Europe in those cities are pissed big time at the NFL and the NFL is dead in Germany. There's no indication anything American-football related will work in Germany again - unless its a pan-European venture only run by solid businesses.

So the UFL's out, then right? (Assuming they won't fold after one year anyway.) Frankly, though, I don't think American football would ever rise above "niche" status anyway over there.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hey, check out this website. We could generate possible team names for the UFL teams with it:

Team Name Generator

Also, I decided to come up with the possible stadium sites for our UFL teams:

Austin: Obviously, Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium at the University of Texas at Austin.

Birmingham: Very easy -- Legion Field.

Columbus: Either Ohio Stadium at Ohio State University or Columbus Crew Stadium would be good.

Las Vegas: Without a doubt, it's definitely Sam Boyd Stadium.

London: Wembley Stadium or Twickenham Stadium are good sites for this team, but I would go with Wembley; heck, the Giants and Dolphins played there earlier this season.

Los Angeles: Not easy to find a location. Possible sites are Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, and the Home Depot Center in Carson. However, I seem to be leaning towards the Rose Bowl.

Louisville: Papa John's Cardinal Stadium (University of Louisville).

Memphis: Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium.

Mexico City: Estadio Azteca or Estadio Olímpico Universitario at the National Autonomous University of Mexico aka UNAM -- which, by the way has a team that plays American Football -- are both pretty good sites for this team; however, I'm leaning towards Estadio Olímpico Universitario.

New York: Rumor has it that this team will be located in Long Island; so, the possible locations for them would either be Mitchel Athletic Complex, Hofstra University's Shuart Stadium, or Stony Brook University's LaValle Stadium, all on Long Island.

Oklahoma City: I don't know if they'll play at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, but it might be a possible location. University of Central Oklahoma's Wantland Stadium in Edmond (which had been rumored to be the home field for a professional soccer team in Oklahoma City) is also a possibility. But for now, I would go with Taft Stadium, which is the home of the Oklahoma City Lightning women's football team.

Orlando: The Citrus Bowl might be a good home for this team; however, the new Bright House Networks Stadium on the campus of the University of Central Florida is also a possibility. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Citrus Bowl, but you never know, I could go with the newer stadium.

Raleigh-Durham (specifically Raleigh or Durham): They'll play at either Carter-Finley Stadium (North Carolina State University) or Wallace Wade Stadium (Duke University).

Sacramento: Hornet Stadium at Sacramento State would be a good site for this team; however, Charles C. Hughes Stadium at Sacramento City College is also another good option. Then again, both stadiums have hosted a pro football team at one time or another.

San Antonio: I'm 100% certain that they'll play at the Alamodome.

YOZXkBG.png?1

How come the UFL hasn't recognized these cities for a possible franchise?

-Albuquerque, N.M.

-Hartford, Conn.

-Jackson, Miss.

-Lansing, Mich.

-Lincoln, Neb.

-Little Rock, Ark.

-Montreal, Que., Canada

-Portland, Ore.

-Salt Lake City, Utah

-Shreveport, La.

-Syracuse, N.Y.

-Toronto, Ont., Canada

-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

YOZXkBG.png?1

-Albuquerque, N.M.

-Hartford, Conn.

-Jackson, Miss.

-Lansing, Mich.

-Lincoln, Neb.

-Little Rock, Ark.

-Montreal, Que., Canada

-Portland, Ore.

-Salt Lake City, Utah

-Shreveport, La.

-Syracuse, N.Y.

-Toronto, Ont., Canada

-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

I can say that Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver all have a pro football team (Yes the CFL is a pro league) and many of those other cities are to small to support a pro team, and probably lack a pro caliber stadium. The only city I see in there that could actually support a pro football team is Portland, and maybe Albuquerque, but those are the onyl ones.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

-Albuquerque, N.M.

-Hartford, Conn.

-Jackson, Miss.

-Lansing, Mich.

-Lincoln, Neb.

-Little Rock, Ark.

-Montreal, Que., Canada

-Portland, Ore.

-Salt Lake City, Utah

-Shreveport, La.

-Syracuse, N.Y.

-Toronto, Ont., Canada

-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

I can say that Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver all have a pro football team (Yes the CFL is a pro league) and many of those other cities are to small to support a pro team, and probably lack a pro caliber stadium. The only city I see in there that could actually support a pro football team is Portland, and maybe Albuquerque, but those are the onyl ones.

Might I add to this list Rochester, N.Y., Richmond, Va., Norfolk, Va., Omaha, Neb., and Fresno, Calif.?

YOZXkBG.png?1

-Albuquerque, N.M.

-Hartford, Conn.

-Jackson, Miss.

-Lansing, Mich.

-Lincoln, Neb.

-Little Rock, Ark.

-Montreal, Que., Canada

-Portland, Ore.

-Salt Lake City, Utah

-Shreveport, La.

-Syracuse, N.Y.

-Toronto, Ont., Canada

-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Might I add to this list Rochester, N.Y., Richmond, Va., Norfolk, Va., Omaha, Neb., and Fresno, Calif.?

1) You're going to be one sad poster when this league fails.

2) You may not.

Today, we are all otaku.

-Albuquerque, N.M.

-Hartford, Conn.

-Jackson, Miss.

-Lansing, Mich.

-Lincoln, Neb.

-Little Rock, Ark.

-Montreal, Que., Canada

-Portland, Ore.

-Salt Lake City, Utah

-Shreveport, La.

-Syracuse, N.Y.

-Toronto, Ont., Canada

-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

2) You may not.

OK, then, fine. But let's just stick to the topic we're on right now.

Anyway, did I mention that you can make up team names for the potential UFL markets by using this random team name generator? You should REALLY check it out!!!

Random Team Name Generator

YOZXkBG.png?1

-Albuquerque, N.M.

-Hartford, Conn.

-Jackson, Miss.

-Lansing, Mich.

-Lincoln, Neb.

-Little Rock, Ark.

-Montreal, Que., Canada

-Portland, Ore.

-Salt Lake City, Utah

-Shreveport, La.

-Syracuse, N.Y.

-Toronto, Ont., Canada

-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

2) You may not.

OK, then, fine. But let's just stick to the topic we're on right now.

Anyway, did I mention that you can make up team names for the potential UFL markets by using this random team name generator? You should REALLY check it out!!!

Random Team Name Generator

I typed in Los Angeles and it gave me KILLERS!

Archived