Remember back in elementary school when you got re-dos?

TFoA

...the Miami Heat were granted a re-do.

NBA Grants Protest Filed By Miami

January 11, 2008 - 4:43 pm

The NBA today granted a game protest filed by the Miami Heat after its 117-111 loss to the Atlanta Hawks on December 19 at Philips Arena, which will result in the replay of the final 51.9 seconds of the game?s overtime period with the Hawks leading 114-111. The replay will occur immediately prior to the next scheduled game between the two teams -- on March 8, 2008, also at Philips Arena.

The Heat protested the game because, with 51.9 seconds remaining in overtime, the Hawks' scoring table personnel incorrectly disqualified the Heat's Shaquille O?Neal ? asserting that a foul committed by O'Neal was his sixth foul of the game, when in fact it was only his fifth. The error occurred because the Hawks? Official Scorer mistakenly attributed to O?Neal a foul at 3:24 remaining in the fourth period that was actually called against the Heat?s Udonis Haslem.

NBA Commissioner David Stern found that the Hawks were grossly negligent in committing this scoring error, since they failed to follow league-mandated scoring procedures and failed to respond effectively when the members of the statisticians' crew noticed the mistake. Because of this conduct by Atlanta's personnel, Miami suffered a clear competitive disadvantage, as O?Neal ? the Heat?s second leading scorer and rebounder that night ? was removed from a one-point game with only 51.9 seconds remaining. Under this unprecedented set of circumstances, the Commissioner granted the Heat's protest, and fined the Hawks $50,000 for their violation of league rules.

The protest is the first granted by the NBA since December 14, 1982 when then-NBA Commissioner Larry O?Brien upheld a protest by the San Antonio Spurs concerning their 137-132 double overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers on Nov. 30. The Spurs and Lakers finished the game on April 13 with San Antonio collecting a 117-114 win.

Bah.

I assume that I'm the only that thinks this is extremely retarded?

If it was a whole quarter that was debated, then it makes sense. But, they are talking about 52 seconds... in overtime. I say call the game and give Miami the forfeit win since the Hawks botched this one up very badly.

I'm thinking the Hawks should take this. 3 point lead in the final minute, and unless Dwyane Wade does what he always does and throws his body into someone and inevitably get a foul called in his favor, the Hawks should win.

Either way, I think it's kinda weird that they're actually going to do the replay, but fair. The Hawks' scorers have a history of fudging up games. Anybody remember when they fudged up the Hawks-Raptors game last year, and gave the Hawks a free throw that they didn't make? Ugh. Someone needs to be fired over this.

EDIT: And if I remember correctly, I think the Raptors filed a protest last year over that thing, but they didn't grant it. Yet they grant Miami the protest? The NBA is pissing me off more and more...

replay of the final 51.9 seconds of the game?s overtime period with the Hawks leading 114-111.
O?Neal was removed from a one-point game with only 51.9 seconds remaining.

:wacko: Someone's math is a little off.

Shaq "fouled out" with the Hawks up by one, the player who was fouled by Shaq hit both free throws. Obviously Shaq's presence in the game is negated for free throws so the Hawks get to keep those points.

It's kind of ironic though because the Shaq might still be injured when they finish the game.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

The Hawks will find a way to :censored: this up. I have a bad feeling about it.

Knowing this franchise, it'll be that one game that decides their playoff fate.

replay of the final 51.9 seconds of the game?s overtime period with the Hawks leading 114-111.

Shaq "fouled out" with the Hawks up by one, the player who was fouled by Shaq hit both free throws. Obviously Shaq's presence in the game is negated for free throws so the Hawks get to keep those points.

It's kind of ironic though because the Shaq might still be injured when they finish the game.

This has all the makings for a personnel disaster.

Depending on the NBA's rules, injuries and trades and such could possibly alter the ending of this game. If Miami or Atlanta acquire a player between now and then, they likely aren't eligible to play in this game. If one of these teams have released/traded a player that was eligible when this game was played, do they come back and finish this game?

Assuming the NBA's protest policy is at least fairly similar to that of the NFL, the league is completely justified in allowing the protest and replaying the 51.9 seconds. It sounds to me as though the Hawks need to make some personnel adjustments in their statkeeping department.

That much is true. They need to fire whoever's in charge, because this isn't the first time they've made a scoring mistake that's had an effect on a game.

Depending on the NBA's rules, injuries and trades and such could possibly alter the ending of this game. If Miami or Atlanta acquire a player between now and then, they likely aren't eligible to play in this game. If one of these teams have released/traded a player that was eligible when this game was played, do they come back and finish this game?

Game will be finished with the Heat and Hawks' rosters as they stand on the date of the replay.

LvZYtbZ.png

Game will be finished with the Heat and Hawks' rosters as they stand on the date of the replay.

The Heat and Hawks should swap crappy players just to have them participate for both teams in the same game.....

The Heat and Hawks should swap crappy players just to have them participate for both teams in the same game.....
Too bad they won't be the first to do it in an NBA game - that would be Eric Money, Harvey Catchings, and Ralph Simpson, who played for both the Nets and the Sixers in a 1978-79 game.

LvZYtbZ.png

• 4 weeks later...

I'm guessing Shaq might have to come back to the ATL to finish this one off then...

• 4 weeks later...

This line made me laugh...

The Hawks, who gave up four players for Bibby, have nine active players still around from the disputed game. Also eligible to be added for the replay are Josh Childress, Jeremy Richardson and Speedy Claxton.

LOL! :lol:

But yeah, basically, this means that basically everybody is eligible that didn't foul out. All I'm hoping for is a Hawks win and a Heat tank. They can ill afford to lose a game to the Heat.

In my opinion, to protect the integrity of that game, thats game's rosters, and ONLY that game's rosters, should be allowed to be used. I know its an unusual circumstance, but you wouldnt see new guys come running onto the floor during the middle of any other game, right? I dont like this judgment at all.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

In my opinion, to protect the integrity of that game, thats game's rosters, and ONLY that game's rosters, should be allowed to be used. I know its an unusual circumstance, but you wouldnt see new guys come running onto the floor during the middle of any other game, right? I dont like this judgment at all.

I haven't been in favor of this game being replayed since Shaq got traded. I could understand that because Shaq is basically the reason they're still replaying the game.

But I guess they're still using the justification of "we're punishing the Hawks scoring table" as why this is still going to happen.

I don't care. As long as the Hawks still get their win, I'll be happy. I doubt it, I still have a bad feeling that the Hawks will lose this game, and that one game will be the difference between them being in the playoffs or not.

This line made me laugh...
The Hawks, who gave up four players for Bibby, have nine active players still around from the disputed game. Also eligible to be added for the replay are Josh Childress, Jeremy Richardson and Speedy Claxton.
LOL! :lol:

But yeah, basically, this means that basically everybody is eligible that didn't foul out. All I'm hoping for is a Hawks win and a Heat tank. They can ill afford to lose a game to the Heat.

That's only because there are free spots open. If, for instance, they had all 12 active players from that night around, then they couldn't add anyone new.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived