Blackhawks logo history graphic

CubsFanBudMan

FWIW, the Chicago Tribune ran a story about the Blackhawks logo after the team president said Savard's "Commit to the Indian" rant would not become any kind of official slogan. A Blackhawks logo history graphic crediting sportslogos.net ran with the story -- page 4 of your sports section, Chicago CCSLCers -- and it's also online:

Blackhawks logo story

Didn't know how common this was. First time I'd seen it.

"Commit to the Indian" will not be an official team slogan, but I guaran-damn-tee that the fans are going to pick it up. There are probably already t-shirts with that phrase out there.

Edit: And here's one now...

Commit.

A lot of people (outside of this board anyway) don't realize that there have been three different versions of the current primary logo. All of the changes have been very subtle, and are mostly color changes, but they are changes nonetheless.

I just sent this graphic I put together to the author of that article to explain the differences:

ChicagoBlackhawks_LogoCompare.gif

It might be a little difficult to see, but between the 1995-1996 and 1996-1997 seasons, the Gold was darkened, and Yellow was added. Then, between the 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 seasons, the Green, Blue and Yellow were slightly changed.

Little things that only I care about (!)...

I'm glad that the Blackhawks haven't bought in to all of this PC crap. Their logo has always been very tasteful, not cartoonish like either version of Chief Wahoo. Ditto for the Redskins. They, like the University of Illinois, honor the Native American heritage of their state. The NCAA can kiss their a**.

Gotta love the NCAA. Seriously, they worry more about suspending their best players and biggest money makers because *GASP* they might have been given free tickets to a basketball game. Oh, God forbid. Or better yet, which teams can and can't have certain names. Here's an idea for those geniuses: FIND A WAY TO PICK A FRIGGIN NATIONAL CHAMP FOR FOOTBALL.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

This was talked about on local sports radio, but is their any professional team that loves their logo more than the Blackhawks? It could be because there hasn't been much to be excited about in the last 15 years or so but you don't hear Redwing fans saying they need to commit to the winged wheel. Red Sox fans aren't going to commit to the... red socks or stylized B. Celtics won't commit to the smoking leprechaun. It's all just very odd.

A lot of people (outside of this board anyway) don't realize that there have been three different versions of the current primary logo. All of the changes have been very subtle, and are mostly color changes, but they are changes nonetheless.

I just sent this graphic I put together to the author of that article to explain the differences:

It might be a little difficult to see, but between the 1995-1996 and 1996-1997 seasons, the Gold was darkened, and Yellow was added. Then, between the 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 seasons, the Green, Blue and Yellow were slightly changed.

Was that a recent discovery of yours? I have some of your old data and it's not listed, just wondering if my stuff is out of date (though I'm sure it is elsewhere, if not here).

Portland (WHL) also slightly modified their head to differentiate themselves from Chicago. Not that you'd notice just by looking at them. Well you would notice but most people wouldn't.

The changes have been a lot less subtle than that. Up until only a few years ago, the Hawks had this version of the head on their sweaters:

7544_1_sbl.JPG

As you can see it was outlined in brown, not black, and the eye and nose detail, among other features, was quite different. It was also smaller-sized on the sweater.

And in the Hull era, it was even more different, a little more cartoony/happy looking:

pic_bobby_hull_large-1.jpg

So it was more than just color changes.

Archived