Question for really old Browns fans

Blue Falcon

OK I'm one of those geeks who is researching NFL uniform histories. What I had found in all my research (and thanks to timmyb as well) is that the Browns supposedly wore their white jerseys at home for every game from 1964 through 1974. 1964 was the year the NFL allowed the home team to choose what jersey to wear, instead of being forced to wear the dark jersey.

Well, lo and behold, the Browns DID wear their brown jerseys at home for ONE game during that span...in 1968 against the Rams. I have no idea why they would have done it, since it was an early season game and the weather was still warm.

The only possible explanation is that the Rams just showed up in their white jerseys, forcing the Browns to wear brown. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the Rams wore their white jerseys for an NFL-record 47 straight games from 1967 until the first game of 1971, and maybe they just didn't want to bring their blue jerseys?

Any of you elder Browns fans remember this game? I wasn't even born then, so of course I have no idea. ^_^

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

OK I'm one of those geeks who is researching NFL uniform histories. What I had found in all my research (and thanks to timmyb as well) is that the Browns supposedly wore their white jerseys at home for every game from 1964 through 1974. 1964 was the year the NFL allowed the home team to choose what jersey to wear, instead of being forced to wear the dark jersey.

Well, lo and behold, the Browns DID wear their brown jerseys at home for ONE game during that span...in 1968 against the Rams. I have no idea why they would have done it, since it was an early season game and the weather was still warm.

The only possible explanation is that the Rams just showed up in their white jerseys, forcing the Browns to wear brown. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the Rams wore their white jerseys for an NFL-record 47 straight games from 1967 until the first game of 1971, and maybe they just didn't want to bring their blue jerseys?

Any of you elder Browns fans remember this game? I wasn't even born then, so of course I have no idea. ^_^

I think I am one of the oldest people on the board and I was only 7 when this game took place. You're bucking some long odds in hopes of finding an answer to this one. The person you're looking for would probably have to be at least in their late 50's, remember the game, be into uniforms, and be a member here. It's possible but highly improbable. This one may have to remain a mystery for you.

EDIT: Try contacting the Browns or even NFL Films. They may have an answer.

BB52Big.jpg

Dude why do you even care. It was like 50 years ago. Get with the current times.

Dude, he said he was researching uniform histories. I do it all the time as well. It's just something some of us like to do, simple as that. Call it nerdy, but it's somethin we're interested in.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Dude why do you even care. It was like 50 years ago. Get with the current times.

Dude, he said he was researching uniform histories. I do it all the time as well. It's just something some of us like to do, simple as that. Call it nerdy, but it's somethin we're interested in.

My bad, actually I know what you mean. I guess I let my emotions get the best of me.

My bad, actually I know what you mean. I guess I let my emotions get the best of me.

Hey, no prob, man. It happens. It's all good. :D

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

I was 15 at the time...and really don't remember why they wore the brown jerseys. But they got beat 24 to 6

I was only 5 in 1968 myself...

^_^

I don't have the answer for this, but one Browns fact has been bugging me for years: Why oh why did they list their colors as Seal Brown, Burnt Orange, White and SILVER until the early '70s??? Just doesn't make sense to me.

^_^

I don't have the answer for this, but one Browns fact has been bugging me for years: Why oh why did they list their colors as Seal Brown, Burnt Orange, White and SILVER until the early '70s??? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Don't know - was that a reference to the facemask? Or did they use silver for something else?

^_^

Don't know - was that a reference to the facemask? Or did they use silver for something else?

Yeah, I don't know. Could have been the facemask, but that seems kind of strange. I wonder if there was an old obscure logo used back in the day (that we have all somehow missed) that had Silver in it.

The Colts also listed Silver an an official color - LONG before the brief experiment with Silver trim and the infamous home pants.

I was 21 in 1968. The only plausible explanation is that the Rams wore their Whites out of habit.

i think that's probably the best explanation.

i have wonder if the rams even HAD a set of blue jerseys from 1968 thru 1970. (not counting preseason) Not once did the Rams wear their blues in those three years.

Other oddities from the late 60's...

Why did the Eagles wear white at home instead of green against the Saints in 1967?

Why did the Steelers wear white for six of seven home games from 1966 thru 1968 (haven't finished with 1969 yet), and why were the exception teams when they wore black at home, the Redskins in 1966, the Vikings in 1967 and the Saints in 1968?

Why did the Eagles wear green helmets for road games and white helmets for home games in 1969?

Hey, guys- I was 18 in 1968 and always thought it odd that the Brownies wore white at home for most of that period, as the seal brown jerseys with orange helmets was classic.

Perhaps the other post that said the Rams wore white (also an oddity) all the time and (didn't bring blues - unlikely - thought they had to bring both when travelling) has some merit however, I'm willing to bet that it had something to do with not wanting the Rams to look too much like the old Cleveland Rams who departed for L.A. in 1946 (where they should still be!!!!!)

Although the old C-Rams used the navy & gold colors, not navy & white>

Just a hunch! <_< <_<

The Colts also listed Silver an an official color - LONG before the brief experiment with Silver trim and the infamous home pants.

I was 1 during the 1968 NFL season, so I won't be of much help with the original question.

As for the Colts, I have to check some of the memorabilia I have at home, but I THINK some of the items (SB III and SB V pennants, for example) use silver/gray in logos and the like. And of course there is the facemask.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I was 15 at the time...and really don't remember why they wore the brown jerseys. But they got beat 24 to 6
I was 12 in 1968
Hey, guys- I was 18 in 1968

It's nice to see I'm not the only geezer hanging around this place. :D

True. I feel 10 years younger already.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I was 1 during the 1968 NFL season, so I won't be of much help with the original question.

As for the Colts, I have to check some of the memorabilia I have at home, but I THINK some of the items (SB III and SB V pennants, for example) use silver/gray in logos and the like. And of course there is the facemask.

Yes, I'm quoting myself. Anyway, both of my Baltimore Colts Super Bowl pennants feature the horse from this logo in silver/gray with a white helmet and have a silver/gray band on the edge where the stick would go. The logo is from the main site, which says it was used as an alternate logo from 1963-1969.

jh54dwyimejwfui9sehq.gif

Maybe this answers Pantone's question.

EDIT: Instead of talking about the pennants, I'll just post one of them. The SB III pennant is identical, except the date and game information is different (of course) and it has an NFL logo where the AFC logo is on this one.

CIMG5081.jpg

i think that's probably the best explanation.

i have wonder if the rams even HAD a set of blue jerseys from 1968 thru 1970. (not counting preseason) Not once did the Rams wear their blues in those three years.

Other oddities from the late 60's...

Why did the Eagles wear white at home instead of green against the Saints in 1967?

Why did the Steelers wear white for six of seven home games from 1966 thru 1968 (haven't finished with 1969 yet), and why were the exception teams when they wore black at home, the Redskins in 1966, the Vikings in 1967 and the Saints in 1968?

Why did the Eagles wear green helmets for road games and white helmets for home games in 1969?

Timmyb, I took your cue to use newspaperarchive.com, and have found lots of good stuff...but there are still gaps!

Steelers: unknown why they wore black jerseys for ONE home game only each year from 1966-68. I do know they wore white for all their 1969 home games, though.

Eagles: I didn't know that about the 1967 game...all I've found on them is that they wore white for all of 1971 and 1973, and I think 1985-86 as well. I do know the Eagles had the two helmets in 1969, and wore the white helmet/green jersey combo for home games and the green helmet/white jersey for road games...EXCEPT when they went to Dallas, when they wore the green helmet/green jersey combo.

I guess the Rams just showed up in their whites against the Browns in 1968. I'm sure the Browns coach was none too pleased. ("Why, you dirty....")

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Archived