College Vault

Ry

I agree with you here. In many of those cases, I don't think they're older logos, I think they're new logos done up in a retro style. I certainly don't remember Bostob College ever using that interlocking BC logo. And a lot of the wordmarks shown are just the schools' names typed up in a varsity block font.

Yes, that is a good point. I have a ton of old logos from old decals, press guides, programs and other fan material and little of it is seen on that site. I did notice that the Washington logos contain a very old mascot boy, but I think there's a website featuring some old U Dub stuff like it. Very limited selection of old Jayhawks and limited amout of stuff from the Texas schools as well. No Indians and no rebel flags smacks of selective choosing, but that's their right. Maybe they have stuff they aren't showing us?

They probably decided they don't want to make money off of logos that were retired because the schools themselves decided they were in bad taste.

But if all versions of "Willie Wampum? gear can still be found here in the (supposed) People?s Republic of Milwaukee, then it shouldn?t be too hard to find a guy in Mississippi whose still making rebel flag Ole Miss gear?

It wasn't so much that I missed them or something, it is the company's right to not sell what they don't want to sell, it's just that this is advertised as THE original vintage logos of these schools and there are just some things missing, those were just the first two that popped into my head. That's all

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They probably decided they don't want to make money off of logos that were retired because the schools themselves decided they were in bad taste.

But if all versions of "Willie Wampum? gear can still be found here in the (supposed) People?s Republic of Milwaukee, then it shouldn?t be too hard to find a guy in Mississippi whose still making rebel flag Ole Miss gear?

I can't speak to the Warriors stuff - is that old merchandise, or are people making money off new stuff using that logo?

Just because a school (or company, or sports team, or any other legal entity) decides not to use a logo, that doesn't give everybody else the right to use it.

On the contrary, if Marquette really feels that the old logo puts them in a bad light they have an extra incentive to retain control of it, to keep it out of circulation. Same for Ole Miss.

That site isn't a logo clearinghouse or museum, like Chris's site is. It's a business that wants to license logos for merchandising. To date they have only purchased a license from a couple schools, which is why they have many logos on the site but only a handful of actual products. Obviously they intend to grow their product line, but why would they include logos on the site that they know they can't license as part of that product line in the future?

It's not MU making the Willie Waumpum gear... it's bootleg stuff that's probably being made by a couple studients with a screen printer. I think MU stopped trying to crack down on it awhile ago because they figure once they bust one guy, another will be willing to take the risk because of how much money can be made.

It's not really MU's popularity... it's more so the knee jerk reaction of kids from the Illinois suburbs who only want it just because it's "anti-PC." (nevermind it was retired YEARS before any of them even thought of coming to MU)

And while we're on the topic... why is the "anti-PC" crowd even more annoying than the "PC police" they can't stop demonizing?

And while we're on the topic... why is the "anti-PC" crowd even more annoying than the "PC police" they can't stop demonizing?

Because it's easier to demonise, without substance, in an argument?

by the way.... isn't that a cute Cincinnati Bearcat? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

It's not really MU's popularity... it's more so the knee jerk reaction of kids from the Illinois suburbs who only want it just because it's "anti-PC." (nevermind it was retired YEARS before any of them even thought of coming to MU)

nevermind the pc stuff, it was an all around bad logo to begin with. It should have been retired based on aesthetics alone.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Man oh man, I wonder if Ebbets Field Flannels would do a custom collegiate order?

2294720228_4c99711e48_o.gif

That Wisconsin jersey in the bottom left corner is a thing of beauty. Hey, if Oregon could bring back its baseball program....

A variation of that Tulane logo used to be painted in the gym of my hometown middle school, whose mascot was the Greenwaves. Unfortunately, it's since been relocated and the gym was torn down.

Man oh man, I wonder if Ebbets Field Flannels would do a custom collegiate order?

That Wisconsin jersey in the bottom left corner is a thing of beauty. Hey, if Oregon could bring back its baseball program....

A variation of that Tulane logo used to be painted in the gym of my hometown middle school, whose mascot was the Greenwaves. Unfortunately, it's since been relocated and the gym was torn down.

Ashbrook?

screenshot-2017-09-15-18-37-19.png

Actually, while the Chief Illiniwek logo isn't there right now, reports have it that the University of Illinois is working to get the Chief logo to be part of this merchandise.

Which really opens up a whole new can of worms (okay, it's mostly the same old can) on both sides of the issue.

It makes it quite clear that one of two things, or both are true.

(1) The Board of Trustees never really considered the symbol racist and only retired him to appease the NCAA and/or the vocal minority protesting his use.

and/or

(2) The Board of Trustees lacks integrity so much so that they'll circumvent their own decision on the issue if it means they can make extra money (or actually, recapture the money they're losing now that merchandise isn't being sold with the Chief's likeness).

In related news, in the student elections held over Feb 26 and 27, a resolution asking students whether or not they supported the reinstatement of Chief Illiniwek as the official symbol of the University passed (meaning the majority voted yes) with 77% of the vote with a voter turnout of 10,000+.

It's a completely non-binding resolution. The Board of Trustees is free to, and likely will ignore it, but the students, in a very official manner, have spoken and proven that the University's leadership cares very little about the students which makeup the University.

Sorry to go off an a tangent. The first part of my post is very relevant.

If someone wants to discuss all of this, I'll repost it as a separate thread (so long as people promise to keep it civil). So instead of taking this post off topic, either start a new thread quoting me, or just ask me to start a thread for it.

If not, we'll just leave this as a news update and get back to the main topic.

Ashbrook?

Dunn. About an hour southeast of Raleigh.

If not, we'll just leave this as a news update and get back to the main topic.

I agree, here are a few more thoughts:

Is that a Boilermaker without his shirt on with a big 'P' on his chest? :blink:

I actually miss that "VOLS" logo, probably because it was the first Tennessee identity I grew up with.

I saw, I came, I left.

Why are only sports teams with Native American imagery considered "hateful" or "offensive"?

Why not any of these?

Image011%20(2).jpg

of all the brands you posted, that one is the most offensive and im shocked they are allowed to get away with that one. However, you bring up a good point. i just think that sports franchises/universities are easier targets. that and my fellow facists haven't got around to it.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived