College Vault

Ry

College Vault

The College Vault is a brand created to celebrate the academic, athletic, and lifestyle traditions associated with colleges and universities. Few current institutions in the world can match the visual iconographic history of American universities. The College Vault contains the images and logos exhumed from collegiate archives which have now contributed to the creation of unique vintage-inspired clothing and accessories. The brand assures consumers that such items are officially approved and authenticated by colleges, universities, football bowl games, the NCAA, and/or other collegiate institutions.

CV_Utah.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice find. I love this old stuff.

BTW, in looking at your Utah post, it is interesting to see Utah referred to in one logo as "The U". I hope they don't get sued by that school down in Coral Gables.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

BTW, in looking at your Utah post, it is interesting to see Utah referred to in one logo as "The U". I hope they don't get sued by that school down in Coral Gables.

I think "The U" in connection with a university is at best a decriptive mark, so it affords little to no protection even if it were registered with the USPTO. In the Twin Cities, everyone calls the University of Minnesota "The U." It still drives me crazy, because as a graduate of "The Y," to me there's only one "U," and unfortunately that's the one pictured in Ryp's post.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I think "The U" in connection with a university is at best a decriptive mark, so it affords little to no protection even if it were registered with the USPTO. In the Twin Cities, everyone calls the University of Minnesota "The U." It still drives me crazy, because as a graduate of "The Y," to me there's only one "U," and unfortunately that's the one pictured in Ryp's post.

I was actually being sarcastic (forgot the smilie), but you are probably correct. Even in Miami (FL) registered the mark now and was otherwise entitled to protection, Utah appears to have established a prior use that would at least grant it some protection under common law (particularly since it has used the phrase in a previously existing logo).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Both UW and Wazzu's (did I spell that right? Southerner here...) retro logose are pretty sweet. However, I think my favorite part so far is the the "Paul Bunyan Axe" rivalry's primary logo is something about a Slab of Bacon. I don't get it, but I love it.

Love for the old Florida logos is always awesome.

I'm definitely enamored with Tulane's old stuff. The plucky, PO'd wave is downright amazing.

Boston College's B-Bird (or would that be a BEagle? Get it? Because BU is a Terrier? No? ....fine...) is interesting. Very different.

The Tennessee page has some interesting ones; never seen the interlocking UT in the old-west font, and I'm not sure if I've seen the Volunteers script that way either (though it seems semi-familiar). However, I also don't think I've seen the rifleman over anything but the Star-O Vols wordmark on the left, making the slanty "Tennessee" rifleman completely new to me...and even as a noted non-UTK fan, I think it looks clean and pretty well-executed, though if the words were taller it might have more balance. Still, I kinda like it.

St. Joe's interlocking letters with the cross/T is very sharp and clever, and I like FSU's Seminoles script, and the soccer-styled shield.

I don't see how the Louisville logos are any different from their current ones, however. Same with Temple.

And I also note that the Syracuse are still called the "Orange" (not the Orangemen), St. Joe's the Hawks, etc. Interesting.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

whoa nice find. i love the old school stuff. looking at some of those old logos really makes me realize just how corporate looking a lot of the logos we have today are. maybe it's b/c of how simple or rough some of them look, but those old logos have some feeling to them.

Just a thought here, and I don't want to get too off-topic, but are all of these 100% known as actual old logos? Because there are some things that are just a bit curious. There's an older Stanford Cardinal wordmark, but by the looks of it, they would have still been the Indians at that point. Ole Miss is represented, but with no Colonel Reb or CSA battle flag, which seems a little odd to me (I know they had wordmarks and such, which is mostly all that's there, but when I think of Ole Miss even going back 10 or so years, I remember waving the flags in the stands and the band still playing Dixie)

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Just a thought here, and I don't want to get too off-topic, but are all of these 100% known as actual old logos? Because there are some things that are just a bit curious. There's an older Stanford Cardinal wordmark, but by the looks of it, they would have still been the Indians at that point. Ole Miss is represented, but with no Colonel Reb or CSA battle flag, which seems a little odd to me (I know they had wordmarks and such, which is mostly all that's there, but when I think of Ole Miss even going back 10 or so years, I remember waving the flags in the stands and the band still playing Dixie)

I agree with you here. In many of those cases, I don't think they're older logos, I think they're new logos done up in a retro style. I certainly don't remember Bostob College ever using that interlocking BC logo. And a lot of the wordmarks shown are just the schools' names typed up in a varsity block font.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

whoa nice find. i love the old school stuff. looking at some of those old logos really makes me realize just how corporate looking a lot of the logos we have today are. maybe it's b/c of how simple or rough some of them look, but those old logos have some feeling to them.

That's exactly my sentiment. There's a blandness, a corporate uniformity to sports logos nowadays. Ease of reproduction on merchandise and all that noise. But these classic ones, while sometimes over the top and laughable, all had soul. And all are infinitely more interesting than what have come after them.

As for the site, there's too much reliance on the block-lettering text of the school name, and Louisville & Temple have current logos in their section. Get rid.

I agree with you here. In many of those cases, I don't think they're older logos, I think they're new logos done up in a retro style. I certainly don't remember Bostob College ever using that interlocking BC logo. And a lot of the wordmarks shown are just the schools' names typed up in a varsity block font.

Yes, that is a good point. I have a ton of old logos from old decals, press guides, programs and other fan material and little of it is seen on that site. I did notice that the Washington logos contain a very old mascot boy, but I think there's a website featuring some old U Dub stuff like it. Very limited selection of old Jayhawks and limited amout of stuff from the Texas schools as well. No Indians and no rebel flags smacks of selective choosing, but that's their right. Maybe they have stuff they aren't showing us?

Louisville & Temple have current logos in their section. Get rid.

Right.

FsQiF2W.png

Yes, that is a good point. I have a ton of old logos from old decals, press guides, programs and other fan material and little of it is seen on that site. I did notice that the Washington logos contain a very old mascot boy, but I think there's a website featuring some old U Dub stuff like it. Very limited selection of old Jayhawks and limited amout of stuff from the Texas schools as well. No Indians and no rebel flags smacks of selective choosing, but that's their right. Maybe they have stuff they aren't showing us?

They probably decided they don't want to make money off of logos that were retired because the schools themselves decided they were in bad taste.

But if all versions of "Willie Wampum? gear can still be found here in the (supposed) People?s Republic of Milwaukee, then it shouldn?t be too hard to find a guy in Mississippi whose still making rebel flag Ole Miss gear?

Archived