2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At home he only has to touch home, at any other base he has to remain on the base

Almost

Almost?

Are you talking about over-running 1st?

Yes... half the bases can be over-run.

Actually, 1/3 :P

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The picture of A-Rod "high-fiving" the ball out on that play was ruled interference. Therefore, deliberately knocking the ball out of the fielders hand to avoid getting out is illegal. So again, why is running over the catcher allowed if the main purpose is to knock the ball out of the fielder's hand?

The explanation that the other bases can't be overrun is plausible, but if the goal is to knock the ball free why not run the baseman over and then go back to the base while he's getting the ball?

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

At home he only has to touch home, at any other base he has to remain on the base

Almost

Almost?

Yes, technically, home plate is not a base. Once you touch it safely, you're done. Whereas first base you can still be retired if you say, take a turn towards second, you could run around in circles like a chicken with its head cut off and not be tagged out if you've safely touched the plate. Of course, you'd probably be ejected or at the very least either decked by the catcher or beaned in the head or next time up, but you COULD do it...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Almost

Almost?

Not 1/125? Eh, sorry, that's phillies world titles/phillies seasons :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

capt.bccc8b14cfdf4fe2bdd6828b9cffad3e.braves_phillies_baseball_patm107.jpg

Oh, and someone had a good point....in the NFL, you get penalized and perhaps fined/suspended for a helmet to helmet hit...

Forget what the rules are, I think there has to be a "what can and can't you do" issued for plays at the plate in terms of barreling into the catcher. Obviously, feet first or hook slides or whatever would be OK...

Oh, and someone had a good point....in the NFL, you get penalized and perhaps fined/suspended for a helmet to helmet hit...

Forget what the rules are, I think there has to be a "what can and can't you do" issued for plays at the plate in terms of barreling into the catcher. Obviously, feet first or hook slides or whatever would be OK...

Also, the catcher shouldn't be allowed to "block the plate" until he actually has posession of the ball. That could prevent a lot of the blindside hits.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, the catcher shouldn't be allowed to "block the plate" until he actually has posession of the ball. That could prevent a lot of the blindside hits.

That most definitely should be enforced..."home plate etiquette" needs to go both ways...

That most definitely should be enforced..."home plate etiquette" needs to go both ways...

I still don't understand why it's okay for a runner to freight train a catcher but it's not okay to slap at or plow over any other position player to avoid being tagged out.

6uXNWAo.png

I still don't understand why it's okay for a runner to freight train a catcher but it's not okay to slap at or plow over any other position player to avoid being tagged out.

It seems to me that the A-Rod slapping thing would have been accepted if it was a catcher that he slapped the ball away from. If it wasn't accepted (and he was called with interferance) then the implication is that it is actually preferable to bulldoze someone. Either actions (slapping or bulldozing) shouldn't be allowed.

Almost

Almost?

Yes, technically, home plate is not a base. Once you touch it safely, you're done. Whereas first base you can still be retired if you say, take a turn towards second, you could run around in circles like a chicken with its head cut off and not be tagged out if you've safely touched the plate. Of course, you'd probably be ejected or at the very least either decked by the catcher or beaned in the head or next time up, but you COULD do it...

So basically act like Jose Reyes after he makes a routine play?

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

It seems to me that the A-Rod slapping thing would have been accepted if it was a catcher that he slapped the ball away from. If it wasn't accepted (and he was called with interferance) then the implication is that it is actually preferable to bulldoze someone. Either actions (slapping or bulldozing) shouldn't be allowed.

I'm okay with a collision at the dish if there's an actual attempt by the runner to beat the catcher's tag. But it just seems wrong to me if a runner tries going Terry Tate on the catcher just to see if he drops the ball after being thrown out by a mile.

That, and the rule allowing runners to intentionally slide into/take out the player covering second base to break up a double play, should be outlawed.

6uXNWAo.png

Phillies fans rejoice...........Adam Eaton was demoted to AAA Lehigh Valley B)

They can send Blanton with him.

So who's coming up - Happ?

What the Twins organization is doing to Francisco Liriano is absolutely ridiculous. He's very clearly shown that he deserves to be promoted, yet they refuse to do so, even though they're contending for a playoff spot. It's becoming fairly obvious that they're only trying to reduce his MLB experience, and thus his arbitration eligibility. His agent filed a grievance about a week and a half ago and they still refuse to promote him, while Livan Hernandez has been, perhaps, the worst starter in the Majors. Cheapasses.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived