2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this is a bit premature, but the Cubs are no-hitting the Astros again -- this time with Ted Lilly doing the honors thru five.

Overall, thru 14 innings at "Wrigley North", Houston has ZERO hits. Ouch.

Now that's funny stuff. Through 6 now.

By the way, for anyone interested, there's a really good article on Dustin Pedroia in USA Today, along the same lines of the one about him in ESPN Mag last month.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al...4-Pedroia_N.htm

"The first day he walked into my office," Arizona State coach Pat Murphy says, "he is white as snow, weighing maybe 150 pounds, and wearing this cut-off T-shirt. He raises his arms, and says, 'How do you like these guns?' He didn't even say hello, and he's already talking smack.

Dude. I love this dude soo much. :D

Is it just me, or do the Red Sox players just seem like the coolest dudes in the MLB? I mean, when you have guys that are doing stuff like that (idc if it was back in the day, that could be his M.O. in the clubhouse for all we know), they just seem like some guys who just know how to have a good time.

That's definetely the way Dustin Pedroia still is. Here's my favorite quote from the article...

He was stopped at the players' entrance at Coors Field in Denver during last year's World Series against the Colorado Rockies. The security guard didn't believe Pedroia was a player and shooed him away. Pedroia seethed. He produced his players' ID card, and the security guard questioned whether it was legitimate.

Pedroia, unable to contain his rage any longer, dropped a subtle reminder, much to the delight of Red Sox manager Terry Francona, who tells the story.

"He says, 'You don't know who I am? You don't know who I am?' " Francona says. " 'Ask Jeff f???- Francis who the f?- I am. I'm the guy who hit a bomb and just ended their f???- season."

Here's the ESPN Mag article for what it's worth...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3512455

That's what I'm talkin about. As much as I like to see them lose on the road to random teams, the Red Sox are probably my second favorite team because they have characters like that.

krod_s.jpg

K-Rod will probably make that gesture when the Mets offer him a max deal this off-season.

If the Mets sign K-Rod I think I will do that gesture too

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

krod_s.jpg

Haha, that is actually pretty funny.

He is an emotional guy, gets excited about little things...

One problem... He drives a BRIGHT yellow Hummer lol... wrong car haha,

Still funny though

And Tank,

If K-Rod wants the $20+ million he says he wants, you can have him.

If I had to choose between a GoldGlove, powerhouse, everyday, firstbaseman in Mark Teixeira and the not so everyday, give him 3 run lead, he'll give up two runs or at least 2-3 baserunners, at the back of an already STACKED bullpen with viable replacements with the club or in the system in K-Rod... I'll choose to pay Teixeira his $25 million, especially if the Angels can win the championship this year. Owner Arte Moreno has his "Vlad Guerrero Rule" where he wont pay anyone more than Vlad because he is the best/most valuable player on the team at $18 million (K-Rod asked for $20 mil last offseason, but the arbitraitor gave him $18 mil). I think if the Angels win the championship, and Tex is a major contributor, he'll change it from the Vlad rule to the Tex rule.

I mean, ultimately, I'd like to keep both. Dont get me wrong K-Rod is an amazing talent. Some days he is devastating. Other days, he'll be a little shaky, but still get the job done. But the Angels have several viable candidates to replace K-Rod if he doesn't return to the Angels.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

And Tank,

If I had to choose between a GoldGlove, powerhouse, everyday, firstbaseman in Mark Teixeira and the not so everyday, give him 3 run lead, he'll give up two runs or at least 2-3 baserunners, at the back of an already STACKED bullpen with viable replacements with the club or in the system in K-Rod... I'll choose to pay Teixeira his $25 million, especially if the Angels can win the championship this year. Owner Arte Moreno has his "Vlad Guerrero Rule" where he wont pay anyone more than Vlad because he is the best/most valuable player on the team at $18 million (K-Rod asked for $20 mil last offseason, but the arbitraitor gave him $18 mil). I think if the Angels win the championship, and Tex is a major contributor, he'll change it from the Vlad rule to the Tex rule.

Amen. As terrible as the Mets pen has been...I don't want K-Rod...saves are the single most overrated stat in all of baseball, and they're not a really good measure of a relievers effectiveness. Look to WHIP, look to ERA, etc. They would not go hand in hand with someone who is going to save 60 games. If he's not an Angel, he's in the low 40's come the end of the season.

On edit: I don't want him with the pricetag. Obviously in a vacuum, with no ramifications, I would want him.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

krod_s.jpg

K-Rod will probably make that gesture when the Mets offer him a max deal this off-season.

Nah, the Yanks need to replace Mariano Rivera or something. :wacko:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

krod_s.jpg

Nah, the Yanks need to replace Mariano Rivera or something. :wacko:

That's one of the rumors.

Especially because the Yanks are only one of the teams crazy enough to pay him that much.

The talk around here is either the Yankees or Dodgers at the inflated price, or he comes back to the Angels especially if he knows where his bread is buttered and has the best opportunities to get these saves and stats he's been getting, but he'd have to be back at a discount price.

krod_s.jpg

Haha, that is actually pretty funny.

He is an emotional guy, gets excited about little things...

One problem... He drives a BRIGHT yellow Hummer lol... wrong car haha,

Still funny though

And Tank,

I mean, ultimately, I'd like to keep both. Dont get me wrong K-Rod is an amazing talent. Some days he is devastating. Other days, he'll be a little shaky, but still get the job done. But the Angels have several viable candidates to replace K-Rod if he doesn't return to the Angels.

I have Arredondo in a keeper league :)

oh and 11-1!! Finally, we're beating them in Tampa! :D

I have Arredondo in a keeper league :)

oh and 11-1!! Finally, we're beating them in Tampa! :D

One of the guys I was thinking of ;)

Arredondo, Shields, even this new kid that was on the US Olympic team Jepsen.

Its usually Arredondo in the 7th, Shields in the 8th, and then K-Rod in the 9th.

No reason if K-Rod splits that they both just move up an inning.

As for the game...

I want the Rays to lose so that the Angels' lead for the home-field advantage increases, but at the same time, I want the Rays to win so that the Red Sox don't win the division, just out of spite. I would love to see a team other than the Yanks or Red Sox win that division for a change as it has been for the rememberable portion of my life (I'm 18 right now). Oh, how I have grown to hate the Yanks and Sox (and most of Boston for that matter, but that is a rant for another day and another thread :D )

Well hopefully the Brewers will continue to choke so the Mets have a safety net, and the Mets need K-Rod if they get him they cant be stopped. The Yankees wont be in the running for him for three reasons, 1) They need starting pitching and they will be getting CC, 2) Rivera is still good, and signed a few more years, and 3) they already have Rivera's replacement his name is Joba Chamberlain.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Thats possible but I think the Yankees will just throw the bank at him. Literally they will buy him a bank, after this season I cant see them not landing a big name to make a bold headline.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Dont be so sure about CC in NY.

I've heard that CC wants to pitch closer to home here in SoCal. More specifically here in Anaheim.

I counter your Anaheim with my Los Angeles.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I bet K-Rod goes to the Cardinals.

And what part of the Cardinals' past history of not ponying up for expensive free agents makes you think that?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived