Minnesota Thunder and Lightning unveil new logos

-kj

Yesterday the Minnesota Thunder held an unveiling event for their new logo and jerseys. I attended, though I forgot to take my camera. The event was a bit high-class for someone like me, but I take that as a good sign that the new ownership is putting the investment into the team to do things right.

1logo0327.jpg

They also unveiled a new look for the women's team, the Minnesota Lightning.

2logo0327.jpg

They also showed the new look kits. They're basic adidas templates, the homes in navy, the away in sky blue for both. Don't have pictures yet of those. The Thunder's new shirt sponsor is Nestle Nutrition, while the Lighting will sport The CW Twin Cities on their shirts.

The Minneapolis StarTribune has a brief article about the unveiling.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The crests are well done. They don't blow me away or anything, but they are very solid. They also get major points for illustrating the relationship between the men's and women's clubs.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

These are very nicely done. A good set, very similar to illustrate the relationship but distinctive enough to give each an individual identity.

Two critiques: I hope that the gradients and shading effects are not standard, but just fancying up the presentation of otherwise flat-colored logos. Also, in both I think the type can and should be a bit larger and more prominent. There's just a little too much negative space at the top of each.

I'd give the Lightning crest an A-minus and the Thunder crest a solid B.

20082614447.png

Yes, they are.

Of course, I'm unsurprised to find out that they're not sure if they'll be able to get them in 2XL.

POTD 2013-08-22

Yuck. This says nothing about Minnesota.

Or thunder, for that matter. It's just a stylized block "T" inside a generic shield emblem. At least the Lightning have, well, a lightning bolt on their new crest.

CCSLC signature.png

Yuck. This says nothing about Minnesota.

Or thunder, for that matter. It's just a stylized block "T" inside a generic shield emblem. At least the Lightning have, well, a lightning bolt on their new crest.

At a second or third glance, the impression I get is the Colorado Rapids logo.

DANG! I do some work for Miami FC and I recently had to vectorize all the other USL teams' logos for the season ticket layout... well it looks like I have to do another one lol! I do like this better than the previous logo. It looks pretty nice.

...why would they unveil a new logo/uniforms only 3 weeks before the season starts is my question. Kind of odd. I guess Miami FC season ticket holders(however few there are) are getting the old logo on their tickets cause those babies printed already I'm sure.

Miami FC Has another new logo? That'd be three in three seasons.

We've known about the new logo coming for a couple months now. I'd actually seen it a while back, when the front office was nice enough to leak it to some of the supporters while we were working on our scarves for this year. Season tickets haven't been sent out yet, but I imagine if they've been printed already, they've got the new logo.

POTD 2013-08-22

Miami FC Has another new logo? That'd be three in three seasons.

No, I was talking about the Minnesota logo on the season tickets for when Miami plays them. I did the layout for Miami FC's season tickets 2 weeks ago, and we put the logos of all the other teams on the respective tickets. However I didn't know about the new Minnesota logo and hence the old one is on the tickets now. I guess the front office guys I was working with didn't know about it either.

Ah, interesting. The Thunder don't, or at least haven't since I've been a season ticket holder, print individual game tickets. The tickets have the full home schedule on them, and are usable for any game.

POTD 2013-08-22

Some might consider this overdone, but to make the Thunder badge less generic, they could have made Thor's hammer the 'T' or something to that effect. I really like the Lightning, but BallWonk said and others echoed, too much negative space around the type.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Archived