Fashion Tips?

heernumurr

Posted on here a while back about applying to art college. Well, there's been success so far as I've got an interview on Thursday. It's for Leeds College of Art & Design and it'll be three hours of interview, doing a short exercise and looking at my portfolio.

So I was wondering what to wear? I have no idea, because last time I went to university I didn't need an interview. Smart? Smart casual? Casual casual? I would rather be overdressed than underdressed but does anyone have any experience in this?

not sure what kind of interview this is going to be, but as far as job interviews and that kind of thing, i think they say to dress up to the point where you feel important, confident, and professional, but also comfortable. dressing up out of your comfort zone will make you feel weird. also, i think they say to wear green as much as possible because of the way people think about certain colors. green doesn't stand out as flashy and it comes across as personable and professional and down to earth. hope i'm not screwing fashion up, it isn't my thing.

If it's an interview (for anything, really), a shirt, tie, and jacket is always appropriate. Well, maybe not the jacket, but I'd go with clean slacks, a nice shirt, and a tie. If you look good, you'll feel good, and you'll project a better image of yourself.

And it sounds like if you'd rather by over- than under-dressed, you're on the right path. Some of your peers may well show up in t-shirts and jeans. You'll look like the more responsible and desirable candidate by default.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

A lot of younger people are wearing their jacket and shirt combo without the tie. Just something to consider. However, in an interview, you can't go wrong with a shirt and tie. If it were Burger King or something, you may be chastised. But since it's art school, why risk it?

So I'd say smart casual, and if it's cool enough to justify wearing a sweater, you may want to try that as well.

i think you may get more hits on this if you post it in the lounge. theres a little more traffic there. anyways, i would go either nice slacks/button down shirt/no tie, slacks/button down shirt/tie, or slacks/button down shirt/no tie/jacket.

i think that the shirt,tie, and jacket would be a bit overkill.

and i agree with green. first of all, its a great color for art. it represents life, and freshness. and you will be looking oh so fresh if you sport a little bright green. and second of all, like eRay said, it isn't showy, but its confident, and bold.

hell, you may not only get the enrollment, but a date on the way out.

i wish you the best of luck man

Picture21.png

mate i went to my interview in shorts and flip flops, nobody is bothered what you are wearing,

its design school not a recruitment consultancy. couple of my good mates went to leeds, and nottingham

where i went was very similar style course. a large portion of designers heading there are of the 'nathan barley'

persuasion, so if you are particularly bothered by what people will think of your outfit, then you might want to

to get yourself a sweet mullet, some spraytan and some skinny jeans, it wont be a black tie affair.

it may well be different in the us, but pommyland designers are, on the whole, firmly tucked up themselves

when it comes to fashion. dont stress about it, the works the important thing and dont put yourself under undue pressure

buy wearing anything you wouldnt normally. jeans and t would suffice.

We creative types can get away with a few things when it comes to this. I went to a job fair last Friday in a nice pair of slacks and a nice pinstriped shirt, but no tie.

I got two second interviews and a few invites to tour some offices, so I did something right. You still want to present yourself well, but its more about what you can do.

In the creative side, you can be over dressed and it can kill your opportunity. I know someone who got a job and he wore nice pants and a nice shirt, but was interviewed by a guy wearing shorts and sandals/flip flops. He said that the guy who was interviewing him interviewed another candidate who came in wearing a tie and he threatened to cut the guy's tie off! Plus I was listening to a guy who owns his own company and he said that he's gone to conventions and got jobs and call backs because he didn't wear the suit or the white shirt and tie, just nice slacks and a Hawaiian print shirt or something like that. Why did he get the call back? Because he stood out. He said the worst thing you can do as a recent graduate is to show up to a creative job in a suit and tie, it scream "recent grad". Look like you've done it before, and that you're good. You're creative, be nice but creative. If you're going to wear a tie, I say wear something really creative. I'd lend you my Darth Maul tie, but... well... no. IT'S ALL MINE! *LOL*

you guys think about this stuff to much.

right so what do we have so far,

a green sleeveless three-piece suite with short trousers, a cut off darth maul tie and flip flops.

theyll :censored:en remember that bro.

Eh...I was always told to dress for the job you want not the one you have.

So if I'm interviewing I typically wear a suit and tie. White/light colored shirt and simple stripped tie.

There are no hard and fast rules to this sort of thing. You could wear shorts and flip flops and the interviewer is wearing the same thing. Or you could wear shorts and flip flops and the interviewer views it as an insult and you're not taking it seriously.

Personally...I don't think you can go wrong with at least slacks and a nice shirt tucked in for any kind of formal interview. The tie and jacket/suit are extra but I don't think too many people will turn you away for "overdressing" I guess some will, but a majority...its doubtful. And in this day and age, a suit will actually set you apart.

For most of my 'formal' interviews I go with white button up shirt, slacks, my black jacket, and my fuzzy brown dress shoes (I have no idea what they are really called). Usually I get comments about looking 'very professional'.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I never wear a jacket. That's just way too formal for a creative endeavor. I usually dress in a cleaned-up casual style, as if I were going to see a play or something. I usually wear a collared shirt under a sweater, sometimes with a tie, sometimes not, and a pair of grey or brown slim corduroy pants and coordinating shoes and belt. It's the best way to be professional and comfortable at the same time, plus I'm just not a shorts and flip flops kind of dude.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Now here's a logical thought, you could call them and ask what would be appropriate to wear.

That's a good way to look like an :censored:. I would never do that.

I'm out of my element here. I'm definitely no creative artist, and any professional job I'll ever apply to will necessitate a suit. I'm not shy to wear a charcoal pinstripe with nice white shirt and power tie. But that's the field I'm headed towards -- flip flops for the weekend and that's it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Have you ever had any contact with any of your potential peers? How do they dress? How did you get the interview? If it was through a recruiter, how did that person dress?

"Dress for the job you want, not the job you have."

Someone mentioned that above, and yeah, I heard that too. Since it's a creative position, I don't think a tie is necessary, but shirt/slacks/jacket seems to be sound advice.

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

Now here's a logical thought, you could call them and ask what would be appropriate to wear.

That's a good way to look like an :censored:. I would never do that.

i totally disagree...as a director of admissions at a university, i would be excited if a prospective student cared enough to ask me how he/she should dress for an interview - i think oddball's advice is spot on...call someone at the university and ask them if there is appropriate attire for an interview...if there isn't, dress well and comfortably - good luck!

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived