Rams future as a franchise (edited/updated)

Mac the Knife

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Jacksonville really THAT bad of a market? They have a competitive team, a fairly new stadium, and just hosted a Super Bowl a few years ago. Doesn't exactly sound like a dying market to me.

Which is what Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver believes. He lives in Jacksonville, says that he is committed to keeping the team in the city, and plans on passing the team on to his son (also a Jacksonville resident). Most importantly, Weaver feels that the Jaguars are awfully close to legitimately contending for a Super Bowl title... and that a Super Bowl win would generate increased support for the team in the marketplace, thus cementing its future in Jacksonville.

This last season was huge for the Jaguars staying in Jax. It got the city excited again. I believe every game will be sold out this year with the hype they have going in. Small market + new team, you are going to need some years under your belt before you can build a strong market. Even the Packers and Steelers had a small fan base at one time. First generation Jag fans are grown up now and can afford season tickets. I was 12 when they first announced the Jaguars and 14 when the first season kicked off. Now I am 27 and have been a season ticket holder since I was 18. It takes some time and Weaver knows this.

Even the Packers and Steelers had a small fan base at one time.

Yeah. It was called the 1930's...

Exactly, 78 years ago. If the Jags were 78 years old then they wouldn't be mentioned in this thread. That does not take away from my point that will take time for a fanbase to grow.

Why did St. Louis and the Edwards Jones Dome people give the Rams such a short lease, you would think they would have tied them up for at least 30 years.

It did. There are outs built into it, though, if the Edward Jones Dome does not remain among the best stadia in the league, based on criteria, in 2005 and 2015, the lease goes to year-to-year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 3 months later...
But if the NFL really wants to move a team to LA (which I really think LA needs a team), why not move a team from somewhere like Jacksonville.

One: Jacksonville doesn't sell out their stadium

Two: I don't see why a smaller state such as Florida needs THREE teams.

LA does need a team, but the Rams shouldn't, and won't, be that team.

They have the biggest stadium in the NFL. They block off some of the seats, therefore no sell out.

Well, actually (as has been described elsewhere on this board) the blocked-off seats do not count towards there being a "sell-out" or not. Even with those sections blocked off and not counted, Jacksonville on many occasions did not sell out games.

However, their attendance IS on the upswing, we'll see if it will last...

It is what it is.

If the Rams move to LA, then it could bring another SF vs LA duel like baseball. Man that would be fun

The same rivalry that existed for many, many years when the Rams were in LA.

The rivalry lives on, but obviously not as strongly.

Should the two teams ever be good at the same time (or maybe just one of them ever good again) you might see it return regardless of location.

With the state of the economy does it make any sense for St. Louis, Jacksonville, Minnesota, New Orleans or Buffalo to move without getting a Art Modell's Franchise to Baltimore style stadium deal? Is any city willing to pony up the money to build a stadium and then turn over the keys to the team? Are any of these billionaires who want to get into the NFL willing to spend or be able to borrow the $500 million to buy a team and then another $800 million to build a stadium? Are there enough people in LA, San Antonio or Toronto willing to pay $5,000 to $20,000 for PSL's to help fund a stadium?

I dunno. I have franhise movings and ripping fanbases apart and all that jazz, but sentimentally i'd love to see the Rams back in LA. That's what i grew up on. I kinda have a soft spot for how things were when i was a kid.

Now unlike the Raiders, who as a kid i always felt should have been back in Oakland, even though i only ever knew them as the LA Raiders, the Rams had a very long history in LA, and it just always seemed that the Rams should be the one team in LA.

Just my worthless observations...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I dunno. I have franhise movings and ripping fanbases apart and all that jazz, but sentimentally i'd love to see the Rams back in LA. That's what i grew up on. I kinda have a soft spot for how things were when i was a kid.

Now unlike the Raiders, who as a kid i always felt should have been back in Oakland, even though i only ever knew them as the LA Raiders, the Rams had a very long history in LA, and it just always seemed that the Rams should be the one team in LA.

Well if the Rams move back to LA, then who's gonna move to St. Louis? I hope it ain't the Arizona Cardinals, since their stadium is relatively new.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Well if the Rams move back to LA, then who's gonna move to St. Louis? I hope it ain't the Arizona Cardinals, since their stadium is relatively new.

The NFL finally figures out that the baseball Cardinals rule that town, and nothing will change that. So no one replaces them.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Blues seem remarkably popular as well, especially considering what a nosedive in popularity the NHL has allowed itself to undergo. The Rams never seemed to get the same support across the Mid-South that the Cardinals enjoy: it seems like a lot of Missourians support the Chiefs, a lot of downstate Illinoisans still support the Bears, western Tennessee surely skews Titans, and I know nothing about which team Arkansas supports but I would venture to say the Cwoboys? Anyway, the Rams would be a pretty easy-come-easy-go move if/when they finally go back to Los Angeles.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

While true that the Rams main base is in St. Louis and doesn't extend too much beyond our metro area (not include the MANY, MANY LA fans who still root Rams), there's plenty of support.

Support is not the issue at all. The idea that the Cardinals dominate the area so the Rams can't is just wrong.

It's still football and NFL football and there's a huge fanbase for that. Only in the past two years have the Rams had trouble selling out some games, and I fail to see why that's a huge deal.

In a midtown market like St. Louis, plenty of people simply can't justify spending the type of money an NFL ticket commands to see a team that is the butt of every joke in the league "play".

Maybe you can counter that by saying the NFL should be in markets who can afford to buy tickets all the time, but that's already not the case, and LA is really the only "better" available market.

As for the Blues, they are remarkably popular. We have a great fanbase. When the team was going through the sale and just about every thing that could go wrong for the franchise (including the NHL issues) did, fans stepped back. But a little bit of effort to get things fixed goes along way with St. Louis, and the fans are back in bulk.

That said, and I think this is what I was trying to illustrate earlier, the Rams have a much bigger fan base than the Blues. Perhaps not quite as loyal yet, but it's big enough.

Maybe you can counter that by saying the NFL should be in markets who can afford to buy tickets all the time, but that's already not the case, and LA is really the only "better" available market.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'm sure the rest of the league would. Goodell is champing at the bit to get back into Los Angeles any way he can, even if it's something as ridiculous as giving everyone a 17th game played in L.A. I think it'd be better to just move the Rams back.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Attendance issues didn't start til almost halfway through last season (when everyone realized the team sucked), and so far 1 game this season, and everyone all of sudden thinks, "They have no fanbase. Send them back to LA"? WTF? They don't need to move, just get new coaches and sign better players.

The Raiders have been far worse for far longer. And have an older stadium that they have to share with the A's. Why not move them back? Oh, because the Rams are in Missouri, and evidently we're inferior to California, so we should lose our team. <_<

Attendance issues didn't start til almost halfway through last season (when everyone realized the team sucked), and so far 1 game this season, and everyone all of sudden thinks, "They have no fanbase. Send them back to LA"? WTF? They don't need to move, just get new coaches and sign better players.

The Raiders have been far worse for far longer. And have an older stadium that they have to share with the A's. Why not move them back? Oh, because the Rams are in Missouri, and evidently we're inferior to California, so we should lose our team. <_<

They were blacked out in 2005 as well. And previous blackouts were averted by the charity of local business interests.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived