Baseball Jersey-Front Arching

TwoRsAndTwoLs

I was working on putting a concept together and trying to decide about the arching of the lettering on the front of a jersey. It seems to me that most jerseys are vertically arched, i.e. The Angels and the Twins' Road Jerseys, though there are exceptions to this rule that are radially arched, like the Rangers and the Mets.

But can you recall a team that used both types of arching on different uniforms? What do you think of that?

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

Few teams use vertically arched names on the backs of their jerseys, so a team that uses a vertically arched type on the front of their jerseys most likely has a radially set name on the back, or a name set straight across.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

And the only example I can find is the Blue Jays.

Their road has vertically arched type. The retro alts have radial arced type. But I don't know that they really work together given that one is a retro alt.

Other than that, there's just plenty of script or angled wordmarks on home jerseys with some type of arching on the roads.

Eh, who cares? Inkscape calls it "Snake" and "Ribbon." :D

No I can't recall anything of that sort, and I'd be interested to see it if it ever existed.

Since when could you arch text that way in Inkscape? I am pretty sure you can't on the version I have.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Eh, who cares? Inkscape calls it "Snake" and "Ribbon." :D

No I can't recall anything of that sort, and I'd be interested to see it if it ever existed.

Since when could you arch text that way in Inkscape? I am pretty sure you can't on the version I have.

Right after I read his post I went through Inkscape and couldn't find anything that said "Snake" or "Ribbon". I've always had to use text on path tool or arch it in illustrator. I'm pretty sure I have the newest version too.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Type out your text, make your curved path, then convert the text to a path. Then select the text, then Shift-select the curve path, then go to Effects > Generate from Path > Pattern along Path. There's a whole bevy of options. "Ribbon" is Vertical arching, "Snake" is Radial. (also you probably want to have it set to Single so it doesn't repeat along the path if it's way off.) The only bad thing is that you can't edit the text or curve after it's done like you can with Put on Path.

Hope that helps you guys out.

Archived