Original Alexander Julian Charlotte Hornets Logo

TruColor

I just posted this comment on the main site:

This logo was designed by Alexander Julian. Originally, the familiar "Hugo" logo was introduced as the primary Hornets logo for the 1988 season, but Julian's design replaced it as the primary logo. However, the team changed their minds again, and switched the Hugo mascot logo for the primary. By this time, it was too late to completely remove all traces of Julian's design - it remained on the warm-ups and on the waistband on the shorts for a few seasons. The actual logo had a Teal "C", a White "H" with a Purple outline, a Black hornet, and "CHARLOTTE" in Black.

First of all, I meant to write "1988-1989 season".

It's fairly difficult to find a good rendition of this logo; however, I have a scan from an original logosheet that shows it fairly well:

CharlotteHornets_OrigPRM_1998.jpg

I had to clean it up a bit - there was a ballpoint pen 'X' across the whole thing...word must have gotten out to whoever originally owned the sheet that the Hornets had changed their minds on which logo they were going to use.

I had a t-shirt of this logo for YEARS...had to get rid of it though. It was a medium, and I'm 6-3, 205 lbs. (!). It wouldn't be very pretty for me to attempt to wear something that small these days...not to mention something 20+ years old either.

Someone who knows what they're doing should vectorize this bad-boy.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just posted this comment on the main site:
This logo was designed by Alexander Julian. Originally, the familiar "Hugo" logo was introduced as the primary Hornets logo for the 1988 season, but Julian's design replaced it as the primary logo. However, the team changed their minds again, and switched the Hugo mascot logo for the primary. By this time, it was too late to completely remove all traces of Julian's design - it remained on the warm-ups and on the waistband on the shorts for a few seasons. The actual logo had a Teal "C", a White "H" with a Purple outline, a Black hornet, and "CHARLOTTE" in Black.

First of all, I meant to write "1988-1989 season".

It's fairly difficult to find a good rendition of this logo; however, I have a scan from an original logosheet that shows it fairly well:

CharlotteHornets_OrigPRM_1998.jpg

I had to clean it up a bit - there was a ballpoint pen 'X' across the whole thing...word must have gotten out to whoever originally owned the sheet that the Hornets had changed their minds on which logo they were going to use.

I had a t-shirt of this logo for YEARS...had to get rid of it though. It was a medium, and I'm 6-3, 205 lbs. (!). It wouldn't be very pretty for me to attempt to wear something that small these days...not to mention something 20+ years old either.

Someone who knows what they're doing should vectorize this bad-boy.

I got you...if someone else don't beat me to the punch.

And looking at that old trading card...let's just say that I, for one, really don't miss the short-shorts era...

...and is it me or does that cat look a good bit like Mike Miller?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

yep, thats the original "concept logo" before the NBA Properties issued the better known logo (arched down Charlotte, cartoon Hugo, arched up Hornets).

they had to have something to sell when the team was announced and this was the artwork for the announcement Ts and whatnot. AJ did do the unis, however i did not know this logo was from his group. it was on shorts waistbands, but i don't recall it on the warmups. the team went away from this logo due to the similarity to the Montreal Canadians classic CH logo. it wasn't around very long.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

The city of Charlotte sure likes to change their expansion teams before they play. This reminds me of the Panthers' having the blue top with the black pants before they changed it to black tops with silver pants.

It was used for the 1988 NBA draft as well. IIRC, it was on the back of the warmups for the 88-89 season, and on the waistband until 1991.

I have a guide to the Hornet's first season somewhere (possibly the '88 media guide, possibly a comemmorative guide), it has a couple of pages dedicated to Alexander Julian's designs for the unis and logo, although the logo in the guide omits the black on the logo, replacing it with teal. I'll take a look for it when I next go to my parents' house.

yep, thats the original "concept logo" before the NBA Properties issued the better known logo (arched down Charlotte, cartoon Hugo, arched up Hornets).

they had to have something to sell when the team was announced and this was the artwork for the announcement Ts and whatnot. AJ did do the unis, however i did not know this logo was from his group. it was on shorts waistbands, but i don't recall it on the warmups. the team went away from this logo due to the similarity to the Montreal Canadians classic CH logo. it wasn't around very long.

The "H" portion of the logo (with the hornet - like it is on the shorts) was on the back of the warmups for at least the first season. I saw them live.

The story I got from a Hornets front-office person was that they kept it around kind of as a favor to Julian, but thought it was a bit too "collegiate" to be a professional logo. That's what they told me anyway.

I should post the image I have of their "shooting shirt" from that first year. Absolutely ridiculous.

Back when the Hornets first came out, I was in grad school at Ga. Tech in Atlanta. I had an Atlanta Hawks give-away schedule calendar for that season, and I remember THAT was the logo they used for dates when the Hawks would be playing Charlotte....

that was about the ONLY place I saw that logo.

It is what it is.

Those jerseys kill me. Pinstripes that inexplicably don't continue onto the shorts...I never understood that.

Yeah, but the "best" part was the pleated shorts!

Pleats - on a basketball uniform...go figure.

I should post the image I have of their "shooting shirt" from that first year. Absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.jamd.com/image/g/848648

muggsy

Here's a shot from the 1988-1989 uniform guide:

CharlotteHornets_SHS_1988.jpg

Jesus. That shirt should come with suspenders and 15 pieces of 'flair.'

Also, many people don't know this, but the guy from the Muggsy picture wearing the 'Married with Children' shirt is our very own Scott Pagan.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Jesus. That shirt should come with suspenders and 15 pieces of 'flair.'

Also, many people don't know this, but the guy from the Muggsy picture wearing the 'Married with Children' shirt is our very own Scott Pagan.

Or a Bedazzler kit.

Really? That's Pagan? Cool.

Archived