Original Alexander Julian Charlotte Hornets Logo

TruColor

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I MUST HAVE ONE OF THOSE SHOOTING SHIRTS.

I'm absolutely in love with the late-80's/early-90's Charlotte Hornets. To find one of those shooting shirts...oh man.

Don't you already work at Chili's?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I had the chance to buy one of those warmups about 10 years ago, but it was too ugly even for my tastes. Same with the purple alts - I've got a dozen game-issue or game-worn Hornets jerseys from '92 - '99, but I refuse to get one of those purple jerseys.

Also, a question - During at least the 1992-94 seasons, the shade of teal used on the road jerseys was slightly different. It was more 'green', although I believed it varied from jersey to jersey (for example, I have both road 1992-93 Kendall Gill & Dell Curry jerseys - Gill's is the standard teal, whereas Curry's is noticable lighter). Anyone able to shed any light on this?

I had the chance to buy one of those warmups about 10 years ago, but it was too ugly even for my tastes. Same with the purple alts - I've got a dozen game-issue or game-worn Hornets jerseys from '92 - '99, but I refuse to get one of those purple jerseys.

Also, a question - During at least the 1992-94 seasons, the shade of teal used on the road jerseys was slightly different. It was more 'green', although I believed it varied from jersey to jersey (for example, I have both road 1992-93 Kendall Gill & Dell Curry jerseys - Gill's is the standard teal, whereas Curry's is noticable lighter). Anyone able to shed any light on this?

It could have just have been different dye lots. I can't speak as to how the fabrics may or may not have changed, but the Teal used for printing has remained the same since the franchise started.

HA! i know the answer to that...

Curry's was washed after games. KG just neatly folded his back up and put into top of locker (seeing how he didn't sweat just sitting and watching) :P

/joke

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Do you have any pictures of your jerseys? I'd love to see them - I'm a huge late 80's-early 90's Hornets fan.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Do you have any pictures of your jerseys? I'd love to see them - I'm a huge late 80's-early 90's Hornets fan.

Not at the moment - Pretty much all my sports stuff's in storage at my parents' house. The only jersey I've kept hold of is my '95-'96 Glen Rice home (along with a couple of replicas). I'll try and snap a pic on my cameraphone later. I've actually got a ton of Hornets stuff (been collecting for 15 or so years), I've been meaning to catalogue it and create a website to display it on for a while now, but time/circumstance has kept me too busy...

• 2 weeks later...
yep, thats the original "concept logo" before the NBA Properties issued the better known logo (arched down Charlotte, cartoon Hugo, arched up Hornets).

they had to have something to sell when the team was announced and this was the artwork for the announcement Ts and whatnot. AJ did do the unis, however i did not know this logo was from his group. it was on shorts waistbands, but i don't recall it on the warmups. the team went away from this logo due to the similarity to the Montreal Canadians classic CH logo. it wasn't around very long.

Bumpin' this up for an update...pagan696 was correct. The Canadiens DID object to the original Hornets logo, and that IS why Charlotte pulled it. I got confirmation today from a very reliable source that this was true.

The "Hugo" logo was originally created only to be used as a "mascot" logo, but ended up being used as the primary, and also ended up being one of the most popular NBA logos during the late '80s-early '90s.

yep, thats the original "concept logo" before the NBA Properties issued the better known logo (arched down Charlotte, cartoon Hugo, arched up Hornets).

they had to have something to sell when the team was announced and this was the artwork for the announcement Ts and whatnot. AJ did do the unis, however i did not know this logo was from his group. it was on shorts waistbands, but i don't recall it on the warmups. the team went away from this logo due to the similarity to the Montreal Canadians classic CH logo. it wasn't around very long.

Bumpin' this up for an update...pagan696 was correct. The Canadiens DID object to the original Hornets logo, and that IS why Charlotte pulled it. I got confirmation today from a very reliable source that this was true.

The "Hugo" logo was originally created only to be used as a "mascot" logo, but ended up being used as the primary, and also ended up being one of the most popular NBA logos during the late '80s-early '90s.

So we can blame the Habs for the loss of a potentially-great NBA logo. Thanks.

And until you mentioned it, I never even saw the connection between the two logos (however tenuous it may be).

correct, the AP photosite has it listed incorrectly.

the old "new coliseum" (where Hornets played) had teal-green seats.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

So we can blame the Habs for the loss of a potentially-great NBA logo. Thanks.

And until you mentioned it, I never even saw the connection between the two logos (however tenuous it may be).

No, we can thank the Habs for saving us from a horrible logo (not that I'm a fan of Hugo though.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And, just for the heck of it, the Fleur de Bee recolored in the new color scheme:

2680015150_c3a6d5c62a_o.gif

I do like that logo. Weird though that they spent time on a NOLA based look when chances are they'll be somewhere else in a couple of years (St. Louis, Kansas City, Las Vega, Seattle, etc.)

And, just for the heck of it, the Fleur de Bee recolored in the new color scheme:

I do like that logo. Weird though that they spent time on a NOLA based look when chances are they'll be somewhere else in a couple of years (St. Louis, Kansas City, Las Vega, Seattle, etc.)

Yeah, that is weird. They definitely should have unveiled a St. Louis-themed logo for next season in New Orleans.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Tell me, oh soothsayer, what "chances" do you foretell would bring this about?

kU6ns.gif

Archived