My First Concept

nyjet88

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball diamond that is totally misshapen? Check.

Gradient that would be impossible to reproduce on various mediums? Check.

Realistic portrayal of a baseball that clashes with the rendering of the rest of the logo? Check.

White stars though the team uses blue? Check. (unless part of your idea is that they abandon the blue stars, but even in that case, white wouldn't work against a white jersey.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Actually, that's not too bad IMO. I think it could use some improvements though.

Don't like the straight text to go with a curved top ("Philadelphia")

Either simplify the baseball or trash it.

Not really digging the gradient/web 2.0 liberty bell that's half cut off.

Maybe put a solid, small liberty bell where the baseball is now.

Keep it up

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Actually, that's not too bad IMO. I think it could use some improvements though.

Don't like the straight text to go with a curved top ("Philadelphia")

Either simplify the baseball or trash it.

Not really digging the gradient/web 2.0 liberty bell that's half cut off.

Maybe put a solid, small liberty bell where the baseball is now.

Keep it up

Thanks - I will try that out.

I'm still new at this - trying to work on improving so I figured I would mess around with this.

I am definitely a web guy but want to improve in this area.

Thanks again! :)

Realistic portrayal of a baseball that clashes with the rendering of the rest of the logo? Check.

White stars though the team uses blue? Check. (unless part of your idea is that they abandon the blue stars, but even in that case, white wouldn't work against a white jersey.)

Do I appreciate your input? Check.

Do I not see the baseball diamond as an issue? Check.

Do I find it extremely annoying that you had to reply to my concept with a series of questions and checks? Check.

Do I find it extremely annoying that you had to reply to my concept with a series of questions and checks? Check.

How is the baseball diamond not an issue? If you were just going for some random shape to use as a background, fine; but its obviously supposed to be a baseball diamond and it is clearly deformed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How is the baseball diamond not an issue? If you were just going for some random shape to use as a background, fine; but its obviously supposed to be a baseball diamond and it is clearly deformed.

How do you know that there is not ONE single baseball field with that shape?

I don't have a problem with the shape of the baseball field layout...it is the baseball detail and gradient that kill it for me. Simplify the baseball and remove the gradient or try to introduce the bell in another way.

Because there's not. Especially considering (I think) there are rules for the shape of the diamond (or white-lines in the case of an astroturf field) in mlb.

Because there's not. Especially considering (I think) there are rules for the shape of the diamond (or white-lines in the case of an astroturf field) in mlb.

OK.

Good.

This may be your first concept, but to have your attitude after he legitimately gave you reasons it doesn't work, doesn't work for me and tells me you didn't want constructive criticism. If you can't take constructive criticism, then don't post your work.

hahaha

This may be your first concept, but to have your attitude after he legitimately gave you reasons it doesn't work, doesn't work for me and tells me you didn't want constructive criticism. If you can't take constructive criticism, then don't post your work.

Amen to that. One of the biggest things to learn is to be open-minded with the C&C and really really try not to fight it cause it shows that you can't accept the criticism and use it for good.

About the field shape issue... Regardless whether or not ANY baseball park uses that shape (which they don't), why the :censored: would Philly if it's not the shape of CBP?

And I agree the baseball doesn't fit at all. Too detailed. Same with the gradient. Maybe make a white outline of the Liberty Bell?

Amen to that. One of the biggest things to learn is to be open-minded with the C&C and really really try not to fight it cause it shows that you can't accept the criticism and use it for good.

About the field shape issue... Regardless whether or not ANY baseball park uses that shape (which they don't), why the :censored: would Philly if it's not the shape of CBP?

And I agree the baseball doesn't fit at all. Too detailed. Same with the gradient. Maybe make a white outline of the Liberty Bell?

exactly

Hell, this would even be better!

philliesconceptno6.gif

It's not supposed to be the shape of the park - it's supposed to be the shape of the diamond. Look at the Phillies current logo and you'll see what it's supposed to look like.

If you're hell bent on using a distorted shape, you could probably pull it off if you made it look more like it is flat (perpendicular to the viewer) and raised slightly in the back. That would look at least a little bit like the shape you chose. It would make the lettering more difficult to pull off.

Of course, if you are the type to ask for c/c, have multiple people tell you that your main shape isn't working, and your reply is simply "good", you're not going to have much of a future in design, even amateur public-message-board design.

EDIT: Eddie J, I posted this before I saw what you posted. I really don't think that's what this kid is going for. It works for the CBP logo (which is where I'm assuming you took the idea from) but not so much for a club logo. It's not iconic enough of a stadium to be part of the primary logo.

I am working on a new concept with a new field to fit more of a field look and the gradient is going.

As far as me getting an attitude? I have no problem with anything that has been said to me. I enjoy C&C. I've participated in them myself.

It does annoy me how he decided to reply. can't help that one..sorry.

If I had an attitude, I would give you one and everyone else one. I appreciate your post and the comments.

When someone tells me things in the form of questions and then writes check after each one of them, that bugs me. Especially since he didn't even say, good attempt on your first concept, BUT, here is what you need to do to improve.

Sorry if I think it is nice to try and say...way to go on your first concept. Here is what you need to improve...

Mostly everyone has done that! I love it!

If you were to draw a stick figure and post it for C&C, which comes across as more of constructive criticism?

Hey - great attempt so far. What you need to do is clean up the edges. The long stick is going up through the circle and it looks a little sloppy. Give it a second attempt with those ideas and see what happens.

OR

Are the edges sloppy? Check

Is the long stick going into the circle? Check

Hmm...I respond better to the first.

Another example would be go to your boss at work and have them tell you 4 things they didnt like and then they walk away. OK - now have your boss come up and tell you ONE thing they loved or liked and then the 4 things they think needed improvement.

It's cocky people that think their :censored: don't stink that don't point out anything positive. Very frustrating.

Archived