U.S. Women's Soccer Olympic jerseys

illini1

Does anyone know why they aren't wearing the U.S. Soccer patch on their uniforms in the Olympics? All they have on the front of their jersey is the swoosh and their number. It looks very strange. They're playing on MSNBC right now if anyone wants to check it out.

A form of protest against the Chinese government? I dunno, just making crap up.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

It's the result of a new IOC rule. Soccer's national governing bodies can't put their logos on their Olympic kits.

How do you explain Argentina and Brazil? Their logos look suspiciously like the AFA and CBF logos!

It's the result of a new IOC rule. Soccer's national governing bodies can't put their logos on their Olympic kits.

It's that way across the board. National Governing Bodies can't put their logos anywhere on Olympic uniforming. The IOC and the USOC won't allow it. Not even on t-shirts worn around the Olympic village.

There are some subtle ways around it that I've personally used to get at least a partial NGB mark into the venue, but the IOC are pretty Nazi-esque about it.

On the plus side, the rest of the world loves to slap ads on their team uniforming, and that's not allowed either.

On the plus side, the rest of the world loves to slap ads on their team uniforming, and that's not allowed either.

Except for national teams, which aren't allowed to do so in FIFA competitions either.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

How do you explain Argentina and Brazil? Their logos look suspiciously like the AFA and CBF logos!

That they do. I haven't been able to study them closely enough to determine whether or not the AFA and CBF made minute changes to them that follow the letter of the IOC edict while skirting the intent.

That said, the United States and Canada didn't appear to have any crest on their uniforms, Norway and Japan's kits were emblazoned with their respective national flags, and Germany's kits substituted a logo which was not that of the Deutscher Fussball-Bund.

I think you're missing the point, or just being overly dramatic.

It's mandated that the logos of the national sport governing bodies--such as the US Soccer Federation, the Canadian Soccer Assocaition, the Football Association (England), the Deutscher Fussball-Bund (Germany)--cannot appear on the jerseys. It seems that a few of the nations have chosen to put nothing. Some have different logos--the crest on the German women's shirts looks a lot like the logo that the German ice hockey team uses.

It will be very interesting to see what effect it does have on the hockey teams in 2010. The US and Canada use portions of their governing bodies' logos, Sweden generally has theirs in crest form on the upper chest, etc.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Something that struck me as odd while watching the game was Norway has their flag inside a circle for a patch, and now I know why. I guess they're using that as a crest. USA had no crest or anything of the sort on. Just a number and a swoosh.

http://ussoccer.com/sights/slideShow.jsp_714-0.html

Here's a slide show from the game.

Australia's badge wont change. It'll still be the Coat of Arms, with Beijing 2008 written underneath it.

It'll be adidas and not nike though.

At the Olympics, youre representing your country (or there olympic team) and not the sport federation.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived