Vero Beach D-Rays Sold and Relocated

TBGKon

They should probably stick with the weather theme and go with PC Hurricanes, PC Vortex, PC Cyclones, PC Twisters, or PC Gales. They will probably stick with their parent clubs name PC Rays. Mistake.

I'm going to take a guess and say since they're not owned by the Rays in full that the name will be an original one. I like your ideas but don't think they'll all fly for these reasons:

- They're kinda close to the University of Miami Hurricanes.

- There is already a Cyclones (Brooklyn, NY)

Vortex, Twisters, and Gales may work, but here are some ideas I've had as well:

- Riptide

- Pelicans

- Ospreys (see Osprey)

- Skimmers (see Black Skimmer)

- Loggerheads (see Loggerhead Sea Turtle)

If Ripken owns the team, this might be an appropriate name.

They should probably stick with the weather theme and go with PC Hurricanes, PC Vortex, PC Cyclones, PC Twisters, or PC Gales. They will probably stick with their parent clubs name PC Rays. Mistake.

I'm going to take a guess and say since they're not owned by the Rays in full that the name will be an original one. I like your ideas but don't think they'll all fly for these reasons:

- They're kinda close to the University of Miami Hurricanes.

- There is already a Cyclones (Brooklyn, NY)

Vortex, Twisters, and Gales may work, but here are some ideas I've had as well:

- Riptide

- Pelicans

- Ospreys (see Osprey)

- Skimmers (see Black Skimmer)

- Loggerheads (see Loggerhead Sea Turtle)

If Ripken owns the team, this might be an appropriate name.

Wow, I didnt think of it that way, but it works.

As a former resident of the fine Tampa-St. Pete area, I can tell you that the Gulf of Mexico is notoriously calm, and while Wikipedia may tell me that rip currents can occur in calm waters, I just don't see them using this name.

If anything, they keep "Rays."

And FYI...a company called Alliance Sports Marketing (based in Nashville; http://www.baseballalliance.com/) purchased http://www.portcharlotterays.com on August 8th. Now I would think that Ripken Baseball would have handled this, so I am taking an educated guess and believe this company is squatting on the URL.

Cards.png

FWIW, there's also a "Pelicans" team in existence. Myrtle Beach.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

As a very happy resident of Charlotte County at the moment, because baseball will be back. In the tradition of most of the teams that have been here and the two teams Ripken Baseball owns, I will have to lean more toward Charlotte _____ or Charlotte County _______ and, imo, Charlotte ________ will be it.

Ripken Baseball Teams

081ccb129c954969e6696f850952aaa5.200.jpg

ceeabe3e2a3f8158a242a72c134ff83c.200.jpg

• 1 month later...

New Charlotte County team chooses indigenous "Stone Crabs"

Ripken Baseball announces name & colors for new Minor League Team

Story Created: Oct 21, 2008 at 5:13 PM EDT

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - Stone Crab season has officially begun in Southwest Florida! Ripken Baseball has announced that the American League Champion Tampa Bay Rays' new High-A affiliate located in Charlotte County, Fla., will be named the Charlotte Stone Crabs.

With the stone crab being indigenous to Gulf Coast waters and having ties to the Charlotte County community, Ripken Baseball felt it was a fun and unique baseball moniker that represented the local area.

The new minor league team also announced that they will share the same color scheme as their major league affiliate with Tampa Bay Rays' blue, light blue and gold serving as their team colors.

"We chose to use the same colors because we felt it was important for fans to identify our team with the Rays," said Joe Hart, general manager of the Stone Crabs.

The team has yet to announce a logo and jersey design but plans to do so in the coming weeks.

The Stone Crabs will operate as the High-A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays and will play their home games as a member of the Florida State League at Charlotte Sports Park in Port Charlotte.

"We think the team name lends itself well to the fun atmosphere we will be providing all season long. " said Cal Ripken, Jr., Hall of Fame shortstop and founder of Ripken Baseball. "The response to the team has already been overwhelming, and we are excited to be part of the community and can't wait for the Spring."

Full Season Seat packages for the Stone Crabs are currently on sale and start at just $285 per seat. Half-Season Packages and Mini Plans will become available soon. Information regarding seat packages can be obtained by calling 941-206-HITS (4487) or visiting www.charlottecountybaseball.com.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Charlotte welcomes the Minor League Stone Crabs

WBBH-TV

Updated 7:12 p.m. ET, Tues., Oct. 21, 2008

At Tropicana Field, there's a tank to see live rays swimming around. We asked Hart if there is any chance live stone crabs are going on display at Charlotte Sports Park.

"That's something we talked about - whether we'll be able to put it where the merchandise stand is, just to give somebody that opportunity," said Hart.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I understand the idea to tie-in the colors with the parent club, but doesn't that seem a bit odd, seeing as how the team was taken from the same state as the Rays and moved further away? You would think that would be an attempt to distance the affiliate and create their own identity instead.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I understand the idea to tie-in the colors with the parent club, but doesn't that seem a bit odd, seeing as how the team was taken from the same state as the Rays and moved further away? You would think that would be an attempt to distance the affiliate and create their own identity instead.

The reason for the move from Vero Beach to Port Charlotte is due to the fact that Port Charlotte will now be the home of Rays spring training, and as with many of the Florida State League teams, affiliates tend to play where the parent club plays. Also, as for the name change, a new name wil similar team colors creates recognition between the two while keeping them separate. Consider the Clearwater Threshers and Lakeland Flying Tigers (former Clearwater Phillies and Lakeland Tigers), both teams are still owned by their parent affiliate, yet have local ties to create community awareness.

That's Port Charlotte, FL (Charlotte County), not Charlotte, NC. It's closer to Tampa/St. Pete than Vero Beach.

That's Port Charlotte, FL (Charlotte County), not Charlotte, NC. It's closer to Tampa/St. Pete than Vero Beach.

Well that would make a bit more sense then. Guess I should have read the article more closely!

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Archived