Calgary Flames Concept

eRay

Wanting to do a real thorough NHL concept, I started looking at teams' logos on this site. The usual candidates kept popping up in my notes. (Sabres, Ducks, Lightning, Canucks) Then one day it hit me, why was I focusing on my problems with the logos, and not my problems with the jerseys? After much research I narrowed my list down to one team, the Calgary Flames. They have a great and timeless logo, but the recent addition of black, along with the Edge jerseys has left the team looking very...odd, IMO anyway. Since the teams' primary logo is also the crest on their jerseys I found it weird that they were always diluting their brand by changing the colors of it. I think I found a way to keep the C in red, outlined by yellow, then white. I seems to work on all jersey colors. The next thing I set out to fix was the actual jersey design. Right now they have a lot going on in the jerseys, but not too many elements are working well on their own. I love how the team decided to make their short pants line up with and match their jersey side panels. That is rather unique in the NHL these days, so I decided to keep it. As much as I love their alternate logo, I love the choice to put the Canadian and Albertan flags on the shoulders even more. Since I chose to stick with flags, the alternate logo really has no business being in the teams' identity anymore, so I left it behind. I tried to keep the striping simple and striking yet consistent throughout jerseys(like the 'C' logo is now). Finally, since black was dumped, I opted for a yellow alternate. I know some may not take kindly to this, but going back to the teams original colors was essential, and if their needs to be an alternate, this is your best choice. I think it looks sharp with the red trim and shorts. Sorry for the long response, I wanted to explain most every choice I made. I hope you like it, but let me know how you feel.

flames1.png

flames2.png

flames3.png

Whew, post #1,000!

The road jersey is pretty nice, but I don't like the home jersey at all. The red C doesn't provide enough contrast, I think. I like the number font a lot. THe alternate is pretty good as yellow jerseys go, I just don't particularly like the color for an NHL jersey. A side note: I think you need to bring the vertical chest piping to the front, because the black edge-piping-cut is over it, and it looks awkward.

Wow! When i glanced at the yellow jersey i thought no way. I stared at it a bit, but now i LOVE IT.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

Wow! When i glanced at the yellow jersey i thought no way. I stared at it a bit, but now i LOVE IT.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Apoligize fpr the multiple. Something bugged.

usajohnson.gif

Hometown Heroes

Good:

-Eliminating the black. Nothing wrong with being unique and red and yellow is certainly unique in the "just add black" era.

-Simplifying a messy design.

Not as good:

-Leaving the flags on.

-The Red C on the red jersey. I went back an forth on this, but I think it would look better with a white C.

Alt: Nice. The last thing we need is another black jersey. I wish alts would be broken out less than 10 times a year. This would be good for wearing infrequently.

Big upgrade, overall.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Updated today because I was bored while having designer's block on my Ducks concept.

I moved over the stripes so they weren't obscured by the cut line, I made the C white (despite my first intentions of always keeping it red), and I made the alternate jersey helmet red. I thought there was too much yellow going on. What do you think?

flames4.png

flames5.png

flames6.png

You know, I used to not be a fan of the "white C", (blame the 90s uniforms) but this concept has really changed my perspective on it. I think it can really work in this case. It's executed perfectly.

This is hands-down the best Flames concept I've seen on these boards yet. The eras are blended together in a non-intrusive way, and highlights the best qualities of the various eras' jerseys, and eradicates the faults. 5 stars.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I don't know why everyone is so hell-bent on taking black out of the Flames' colour scheme. It seems to be the running theme through almost every Flames concept I see around here.

It may be a little homeristic of me, but I think the Flames need black. I don't think there's enough contrast between their shades of red and yellow — and certainly not enough between their shade of yellow and white. The black, used sparingly, really makes their colours pop.

There may be a few places where it is a bit too prevalent (i.e. the black flaming C, some of the jersey trim), but to take it out completely, I think, is a big loss.

I don't know why everyone is so hell-bent on taking black out of the Flames' colour scheme. It seems to be the running theme through almost every Flames concept I see around here.

It may be a little homeristic of me, but I think the Flames need black. I don't think there's enough contrast between their shades of red and yellow ? and certainly not enough between their shade of yellow and white. The black, used sparingly, really makes their colours pop.

There may be a few places where it is a bit too prevalent (i.e. the black flaming C, some of the jersey trim), but to take it out completely, I think, is a big loss.

Agreed (though I like the black-flaming C... a lot.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived