Hail To The King

Guest -*Sterling84*-

Guest -*Sterling84*-

Just felt compelled to somehow congratulate the cast and crew of the Lord of the Rings on a well-deserved evening. Since I don't skulk any movie chatrooms (thats right boys, I'm 100% faithful to the CC Family) I'll do it here.

Some of you are undoubtedly sick of all the hub bub and to you, I apologize. Just skip this thread entirely.

I'm pretty knee deep in the whole thing myself and just constantly in awe of what was pulled off. Sometimes when something is good and then word gets out and everyone knows its good, its easy to forget how rotten it could have been. I mean, "Dungeons and Dragons" people? Or the live action "Street Fighter". If you've never seen some of the behind the scenes documentaries on the extended DVDs, they are worth the time. Some guys who did nothing but make chain mail for a year straight. Umm, for some Uruk scenes where the music is kind of loud and chanty, they'll write a poem about the scene, then translate it into elvish lyrics, call in some choir and have them sing the lines. All of this when some basic ambient noise might have sufficed. Its nuts. Thats the kind of dedication poured into the whole thing.

Anyway, I am really thankful to have lived to see this made. And a geek flick takes Best Picture. Damn.

'Bout time.

BTW, i like Star Trek...but i'm not one of those pathetic losers who need to dress up like Klingons and go to conventions. IT'S A T.V. SHOW PEOPLE!

There are alot more than just Trekkies out there nowadays. I enjoy the LOTR sereies (haven't seen Return of the King yet) The only problem is that they are so damn long...Two Towers was quite enjoyable. It's like anything, you have to get into it to really enjoy it

Peter Jackson probably got more exercise than he's had in months just walking up to the stage to pick up his Oscars.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

This is what I did during the first two LOTR's: :sleeping:

If you slept through the first one, why would you watch the second one?

My roommate was watching it. I was too, until I fell asleep about five minutes in.

Guest -*Sterling84*-

OK. I guess there isn't a lot of crossover then between my two passions. Further proof that I may indeed be a genetic mistake. Half jock sniffer - half geek.

In any event, I'm not freaky about it. I would never try to "convert" anyone or host a themed wedding or anything.

I just found it interesting the level to which they put you in that universe. Without so much as a self conscious snicker or wink. Much like I day dream about working in the sports marketing field, and what that must be like...I also dream about what working on a film would be like. Not in front of the camera mind you , but behind the scenes. It'd be liking playing with clay and latex and computers for a living for 8 years. How fun would that be?

I never found even a moment of sleepiness. Plus, if you choose, you can use anything in life to further your inspiration. Here's a scruffy guy who never went to film school, does not work in the United States which makes it hard to be in the movie industry, who shot his first film over years with just his own money and friends as the actors....and then through determination alone he is making a trilogy of movies based on the most beloved fiction the world has ever known.

I find the movie, and the story of the movie makers to be duly inspiring. It makes me embarrassed to ever say "I can't" or "That's good enough".

i'm a sports, comics, music, pop culture geek.....in my opinion, LOTR (as a whole) is the best movie ever made.

i would never dress in costumes, theme a wedding, or do anything stupid like that around the movie. but i do enjoy it immensely.

I love LOTR.

In fact, a couple years ago on New Years Eve, I had one friend over and we watched I on DVD and then went to the theatres for II. This year, I had him and another friend over on Dec. 30 and we watched I and II on DVD and then went to the theatre for III. We deemed it LOTRFEST (not L-O-T-R-Fest, but pronounced lotr-fest) 2003 because it sounds cool and we're German students, and it definatley sounds German. That's about 9 hours and 30 minutes of Lord of the Rings Straight. The first two were a little tough to watch since we had seen them, but it was still fun. I'm not an in depth LOTR nerd, I just really really enjoy the movies.

I too was pleased to see it haul in the hardware, especially seeing as it did not win any best picture or best director honours previously.

I've seen all of the movies and cannot read the books. I've tried a couple of times, but I've found them very difficult to get involved in. Excellent movies though.

Watching some of the Behind the Scenes stuff on the DVDs is absolutely mind boggling. All of the prosthetics, makeup, costumes, props, sets, etc, etc... it's crazy. It took a lot of initiative and vision to see that through to the end, and IMO Peter Jackson and crew deserve all of the credit they get.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I can't wait till they try another one of them Trilogy Day thingies with all three Extended Editions. Imagine sitting in the same seat for 11 and a half hours NOT including intermissions.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I think it's ridiculous to give them all eleven awards that they were nominated for. It was basically the same movie as last year and while I thought it was great they didn't win eleven awards last year. I think the over hyping of this mivie trilogy got to the academy.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Archived