Red Sox to retire Johnny Pesky's Number

Pharos04

boston.com article

Personally, I think it's about time. Mr. Pesky is going to be 89 this Saturday and has contributed over 60 years of dedication to the Sox organization. Despite him "holding onto the ball" against the Cardinals in the '46 series he is more than deserving to have his number on the facade with Ted Williams, Yaz, and Carlton Fisk.

Thoughts? Concerns? Rejections? Jim Rice next?

Can't agree more. And yes, Rice should be the next one up. Hopefully next season they can retire his 14 without tossing their guidelines aside to do it.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Well thanks to the glorious weather we're having here in Boston, the retirement ceremony is now delayed to before Sunday's game against the Yankees. Too bad too cause I spoke to Mr. Pesky on Thursday and he was ecstatic about his number being retired but also being extremely humbled at the idea. Just a classy guy all around

Rice should already be in the Hall of Fame, as well as having his number retired. Had he not injured himself his rookie year, he would of won the MVP and ROY ahead of Freddy Lynn.

As for Pesky, well deserved. I'm glad he will be immortalized among Red Sox legends for the all the dedication he put into the organization.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Well thanks to the glorious weather we're having here in Boston, the retirement ceremony is now delayed to before Sunday's game against the Yankees. Too bad too cause I spoke to Mr. Pesky on Thursday and he was ecstatic about his number being retired but also being extremely humbled at the idea. Just a classy guy all around

I've got tickets for Sunday's game. Awesome.

Well aside from the rain it was a very memorable day. Hopefully anyone who went enjoyed all the festivities. For those of us who were not as lucky to make it to the game, here are some photographs:

39fc9c9511_ltppesk09282008.jpg

21__1222625478_7410.jpg

afterunveiling.jpg

28__1222627251_2901.jpg

25__1222626288_8432.jpg

i will say this however. During the rain delay they showed a press conference with Johnny talking and Jim Rice was sitting next to him. Boy Rice looked pissed the f*** off. He looked annoyed and fidgety. Was coming off as a real a$$ to me. But that's just my take on what I saw.

i will say this however. During the rain delay they showed a press conference with Johnny talking and Jim Rice was sitting next to him. Boy Rice looked pissed the f*** off. He looked annoyed and fidgety. Was coming off as a real a$$ to me. But that's just my take on what I saw.

That's how Jim is though towards the press. Never been friendly to them. I think it's the chief reason why he isn't in the Hall.

what the hell is ccslc?

That's how Jim is though towards the press. Never been friendly to them. I think it's the chief reason why he isn't in the Hall.

It is the press holds a grudge against him.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Rice should already be in the Hall of Fame, as well as having his number retired.

What Hall of Fame would that be? I know you can't be talking about the Baseball Hall of Fame. Rice is a lock for the hall of the really good. He is not a Hall of Famer. If being an ass to the media was all that was necessary to keep someone out then Steve Carlton would still be waiting for his induction. So would Ted Williams. People shouldn't blame the press they should blame Jim Rice for not being a little bit better as a player.

BB52Big.jpg

Rice should already be in the Hall of Fame, as well as having his number retired.

What Hall of Fame would that be? I know you can't be talking about the Baseball Hall of Fame. Rice is a lock for the hall of the really good. He is not a Hall of Famer. If being an ass to the media was all that was necessary to keep someone out then Steve Carlton would still be waiting for his induction. So would Ted Williams. People shouldn't blame the press they should blame Jim Rice for not being a little bit better as a player.

Can i ask a question why are the Sox and Yanks playing a Day Night DH today, that second game means nada

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Can i ask a question why are the Sox and Yanks playing a Day Night DH today, that second game means nada.

I'll venture a wild guess -- money!!!!! Keeping an additional home date/separate gate puts a nice piece of change in the pocket of the Red Sox (even accounting for whatever share goes to the Yankees). 33,000 fans x $50/ticket (wild guess) = $1,650,000 in gross ticket revenue (not to mention concession and merchandise revenue).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Can i ask a question why are the Sox and Yanks playing a Day Night DH today, that second game means nada.

I'll venture a wild guess -- money!!!!! Keeping an additional home date/separate gate puts a nice piece of change in the pocket of the Red Sox (even accounting for whatever share goes to the Yankees). 33,000 fans x $50/ticket (wild guess) = $1,650,000 in gross ticket revenue (not to mention concession and merchandise revenue).

For the first time ever, Boston's hit 3 million fans!

As taken from an ESPN article:

During those 12 years (1975 to '86), Rice was the most dominant player in the American League. Maybe not the best player -- I'd give that nod to George Brett. But check out Rice from 1975 to '86. He ranked first in the AL in games (1,766), first in at-bats (7,060), first in runs (1,098), first in hits (2,145), first in home runs (350), first in runs batted in (1,276), first in slugging percentage (.520), first in total bases (3,670), first in extra-base hits (752), first in go-ahead RBIs (325), first in multihit games (640), fourth in triples (73) -- so much for the notion that Rice was nothing but a plodder -- and fourth in batting average (.304). He also was first in outfield assists with 125. For some reason, Rice has been labeled a lousy fielder, but even Bill James, a leading detractor of Rice's Hall of Fame credentials, concedes that he was a better left fielder than most peopled regarded him.

If you look at the entire major leagues over that same 12-year period, Rice still ranked first in RBIs, hits, total bases, go-ahead RBIs and multihit games, second in slugging, runs and extra-base hits (to Mike Schmidt), third in homers (to Schmidt and Dave Kingman), and second in outfield assists (to Dave Winfield).

That's 12 years at the very top of his profession -- enough to make a Hall of Famer of, say, Kirby Puckett. But for some reason, not good enough for Rice.

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived