Brewers ditch throwbacks Friday

CubsFanBudMan

Did the Brewers stop wearing the throwbacks on Friday home games or was it just a one-time thing against the Cubs yesterday?

I looked around and none of the game stories mentioned it. Thought maybe someone here had paid closer attention.

Maybe it's a Dale Sveum thing? Superstition?

Pic from last night:

sseth0926.jpg

Was it due to superstition? Did the team have an unusually bad record when wearing the throwbacks? Maybe they wanted to wear the "lucky" uniform instead.

Well they lost anyway, so that would disprove their theory if that was the reason.

Good - maybe they'll wear the throwbacks in the postseason.

Was it due to superstition? Did the team have an unusually bad record when wearing the throwbacks? Maybe they wanted to wear the "lucky" uniform instead.

Well they lost anyway, so that would disprove their theory if that was the reason.

Not likely. My guess is that if the Brewers were in the midst of just another 70 win season, they'd have worn them on Friday but that this decision was because THIS team is making a playoff run and it's not about the past. The time is now. Or something.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not likely. My guess is that if the Brewers were in the midst of just another 70 win season, they'd have worn them on Friday but that this decision was because THIS team is making a playoff run and it's not about the past. The time is now. Or something.

Is it ever not?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know about that. Given how well the throwbacks sell (just watching the game on television I could see the disparity in the stands), THIS team is pretty well identified with them.

And you bring up a good point why they shouldn't wear them in the postseason. They need to build their brand and that brand is M wheat logo.Wearing the throwback on serves to hurt and confuse the brand. They made some money on the old logo but it's time to put the old ball and glove away. Given that the team has finally made the playofs there should some goodwill to the "new" stuff. If the Brewers can make a run it will just further hat goodwill. As Onwise97 said the past is in the past and it is time to focus on the present.

I believe they've reached their quota for the year. I'll bet it was just for last night.

Quota? What?

If it's your Friday jersey, it's your Friday jersey and should be worn every Friday.

If you have a "quota", count the number of Friday's you are at home and that's your "quota" and...it should then be worn every Friday.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Funny you should choose that word, for years I've been saying that the modern one looks much more like corporate softball.

And I don't even like the ball-and-glove. Didn't in the 1970s when they introduced it, didn't in the 1980s when they won in it, didn't in the 1990s when they finally ditched it, don't now. But the current uniforms are just a lousy design, topped off by that horrendous primary logo. So much so that they make the glove look better by comparison.

Funny you should choose that word, for years I've been saying that the modern one looks much more like corporate softball.

I know that's why I used that word. The old looks much more softball than the current look. I don't know many company softball teams with a custom script.

And I don't even like the ball-and-glove. Didn't in the 1970s when they introduced it, didn't in the 1980s when they won in it, didn't in the 1990s when they finally ditched it, don't now. But the current uniforms are just a lousy design, topped off by that horrendous primary logo. So much so that they make the glove look better by comparison.

Corporate softball must be a different game in New York. I've played a lot of company-league softball in my day, in Minnesota, Chicago, and Washington, and I've never seen anything that looks like the current Brewers script.

Which is easily the second or third awesomest jersey script in baseball history. Precisely because it looks like the kind of script you see on German and Czech lager beer labels. This is a case where the corporate echoes of the design are a feature, not a bug, sort of like the helmet logo the Steelers wear. The Brewers script looks like beer. That's pretty much a game-ending "mission accomplished" from a design critique perspective.

If only the Brewers wore that beautiful Milwaukee script on the road, they'd crack my top-five list in MLB.

But that could all be due to the fact that I haven't played company softball in New York, where apparently Ralph Lauren designs the t-shirts. :P

20082614447.png

I believe they've reached their quota for the year. I'll bet it was just for last night.

Quota? What?

If it's your Friday jersey, it's your Friday jersey and should be worn every Friday.

If you have a "quota", count the number of Friday's you are at home and that's your "quota" and...it should then be worn every Friday.

The number of Friday home games varies from year to year (potentially, at least, without counting them up). I thought that in 2006 (Sunday) or 2007 (Friday) when they were given the approval to wear them, they couldn't wear them any more than x-number of times (where x = number of Friday home games). Maybe they were given the same quota?

It was just an idea. Sorry if I try to answer the question at hand.

Archived