Winningest MLB Players (Active) With No Rings

robbman21

As I'm watching the Angels/Sox, I just saw a shot of Torii Hunter sitting in the Angels' dugout, and my first thought was "there's a guy that seems to be consistently on a winner". And then it occured to me he only made it as far as the ALCS with the Twins, but during his time there the Twins consistently won, so this got me to wondering which active players are consistently year to year on winning and playoff teams yet have no rings to show for it? Obviously Barry Bonds would be at the top of this list even with the Giants' recent struggles but he was out of baseball this season, so I'm interested in who all we could come up with. Also guys with 5 years of experience or less would be too easy (David Wright/Jose Reyes) so I'm looking for veterans here. Here's a short list of who I came up with:

Torii Hunter-Twins/Angels

Jason Giambi - A's/Yankees

Mike Mussina - Orioles/Yankees

98Falcons.png

Is Kenny Lofton up there at all?

He's been to the Postseason 11 times and never won a WS.

medium_27lofton.jpg

Got as far as Division Series in:

Got as far as Championship Series in:

Got as far as World Series in:

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Damion Easley (obviously not nearly as good as those guys) is actually the active player who has played in the most games without ever even qualifying for the playoffs (1,706 games dating back to 1992 when he broke in w/ the then California Angels).

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm not sure just how many times Griffey made it to the postseason, but the Mariners lost at least 2 ALCS to the Yankees. Frank Thomas also comes to mind, but he might've won in 2005. I can't remember if he was still in Chicago either.

Frank Thomas also comes to mind, but he might've won in 2005. I can't remember if he was still in Chicago either.

Thomas recieved a ring with the 2005 ChiSox, but didn't play a single postseason game for them that year.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm not sure just how many times Griffey made it to the postseason, but the Mariners lost at least 2 ALCS to the Yankees. Frank Thomas also comes to mind, but he might've won in 2005. I can't remember if he was still in Chicago either.

Griffey got to the ALCS in 95,the only other time previous to this season in which he made the playoffs was 97. He had left Seattle by the time the Mariners got to the 2000, and 2001 ALCS.

On the flipside how about average or crappy players who have a lot of rings? Craig Counsell is average, but he has 2 rings.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

On the flipside how about average or crappy players who have a lot of rings? Craig Counsell is average, but he has 2 rings.

Luis Sojo ?

David Eckstein (2 rings) Grinder sure...bad player yes. Won the MVP one year but: .284 /.351 /.361 Ugh.

Chuck Knoblock (4 rings) Might not belong here...I'm most likely remembering the tail end of his career more than the beginning...but he was overrated a bit wasn't he?

Jay Tessmer (3 rings) Career ERA of 7.71...this may be the winner but he did not appear in any WS games

Derek Jeter (4 rings) :D j/k

Look though this list and it'll help for the worst that's won the most:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/...ost_rings.shtml

I'm sure there are some bad players back in the day, but these are the more recent ones.

Here's a list of games with no WS appearence...griffey jr. tops that one:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/...gamesnows.shtml

For No Post Season:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/...gamesnops.shtml

Archived