Oregon Ducks Baseball

Bmac

I'm sure whatever it is they wear, it won't be pretty will be an abomination unto the Lord.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't know. When they had the club team, the baseball uniforms didn't look all that bad. The hats were similar to the A's home hat.

But you're missing the point - that's the club team. Club teams are under the direction of the office of student life (and are basically no different than glee club, or latin club, or any other club you can think of - they just happen to get together and play baseball), not the athletic department (and in the case of UOregon - Phil Knight). Therefore, the Oregon club baseball team could wear whatever they wanted. Even non-Nike uniforms. I wouldn't base the D-I varsity teams uni's on what the club team wore at all...

Moose

I don't know. When they had the club team, the baseball uniforms didn't look all that bad. The hats were similar to the A's home hat.

But you're missing the point - that's the club team. Club teams are under the direction of the office of student life (and are basically no different than glee club, or latin club, or any other club you can think of - they just happen to get together and play baseball), not the athletic department (and in the case of UOregon - Phil Knight). Therefore, the Oregon club baseball team could wear whatever they wanted. Even non-Nike uniforms. I wouldn't base the D-I varsity teams uni's on what the club team wore at all...

Moose

Difference is, Oregon's club baseball team WAS sponsord by Nike, and received free gear just like Oregon's varsity teams.

Moose

Difference is, Oregon's club baseball team WAS sponsord by Nike, and received free gear just like Oregon's varsity teams.

And, again, you're missing the point. Maybe they got free gear, but I'm guessing that Phil Knight didn't spend a ton of time on figuring out what to outfit the club baseball team in so that they looked good when they played Wenatchee Valley College, or Central Oregon Community College (seriously, that's who they played this past year). I'm guessing that they got to pick from Nike's stock baseball uni's with Oregon's font sewn on the front.

Now that they will be a Pac-10 team, and playing Stanford, ASU and the like, I'm guessing that there might be a little more interest in Beaverton as to what the baseball team looks like...

Moose

From Baseball America December 2007:

The coaches have also begun preliminary planning on the team's uniforms. Nike, which will equip the Ducks from head to toe, brought in some of its lead designers to talk with the coaches and show them a Powerpoint presentation.

"They told us we would be like a 31st Major League Baseball team?that was kind of neat to hear," Gill said. "They're trying to go with some of the old stuff?combine it with their new material, so it's a sleeker look but keep a newer feel. We talked about pinstripes, but we don't think green pinstripes are the way to go.

"With all the stuff they do with Oregon, the main priority is the performance of the uniform. They gave us one of last year's uniforms that Fullerton had, and they gave us one of the new lines that they have, and the difference in the weight was unbelievable. Performance was first, design was second, which was kind of neat to hear."

Which isn't to say the Ducks aren't thinking about the look of the uniforms. Given the often-outlandish uniforms worn by the Oregon football team, the appearance of the baseball uniforms tends to be a hot topic.

"Everyone always asks if we're going to do the crazy stuff like the football?Coach Horton's kind of shied away from that," Gill said. "I'm trying to talk him into one crazy one. You kind of have to, right? It's expected."

looking forward to nike pushing the envelope in baseball

If you pay attention, George Horton is the coach, and if you see Cal State Fullerton's uniforms they are very traditional. I foresee Oregon's being similar, very traditional. I'm thinking like Oakland's 1968 vests that had Oakland in old english arched on both the home and road.

From Baseball America December 2007:

. . .

Gill said. "I'm trying to talk him into one crazy one. You kind of have to, right? It's expected."

That both amuses and saddens me, that Oregon almost feels its their responsibility to look ridiculous.

But hey, "revolutionary" is "revolutionary" and specialty is specialty, even if it is "we always look like crap."

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

The Ducks in pinstripes that are not green sound interesting...but I am hoping that the head coach does get "talked into" one crazy black, or camo jersey with diamond plating , and three different colored batting helmets with ghost flames. :P

sig.jpg

Archived