Tennessee Titans may wear Oilers throwbacks in 2009

TFoA

I liked those two couple of seasons as the Tennessee Oilers. Looking back, it's hard to even consider that there was ever a team in Nashville (or was it Memphis?) called the Oilers, but it happened.

They were the Tennessee Oilers for two seasons -- one in Memphis (1997) and the other in Nashville (1998). The original plan was for the Oilers to play two seasons in Memphis while waiting for the stadium to be built in Nashville. But there was such a backlash from the people of Memphis, who had wanted the Oilers to move there and were hurt they picked Nashville instead. I think there were also some other logistical problems stemming with the three-hour distance from Memphis to Nashville. So the Oilers played their '98 home games at Vanderbilt.

The Titans name, logo and uniforms debuted for the '99 season, their first in their current stadium.

It wasn't so much the backlash as much as them not liking the facilities at the Liberty Bowl, which I believe was just their excuse to get to Nashville a year early. I think Memphis did get screwed in the deal.

"No we're not going to give you a team, but Nashville's team will play there for 2 years before we take them on to your most hated city." Then after one year, "Heh, screw this. Let's blow this place and just go on to Nashville."

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed too.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I liked those two couple of seasons as the Tennessee Oilers. Looking back, it's hard to even consider that there was ever a team in Nashville (or was it Memphis?) called the Oilers, but it happened.

They were the Tennessee Oilers for two seasons -- one in Memphis (1997) and the other in Nashville (1998). The original plan was for the Oilers to play two seasons in Memphis while waiting for the stadium to be built in Nashville. But there was such a backlash from the people of Memphis, who had wanted the Oilers to move there and were hurt they picked Nashville instead. I think there were also some other logistical problems stemming with the three-hour distance from Memphis to Nashville. So the Oilers played their '98 home games at Vanderbilt.

The Titans name, logo and uniforms debuted for the '99 season, their first in their current stadium.

It wasn't so much the backlash as much as them not liking the facilities at the Liberty Bowl, which I believe was just their excuse to get to Nashville a year early. I think Memphis did get screwed in the deal.

"No we're not going to give you a team, but Nashville's team will play there for 2 years before we take them on to your most hated city." Then after one year, "Heh, screw this. Let's blow this place and just go on to Nashville."

I don't blame Memphis one bit. Bud Adams destroyed the character of the Astrodome by demanding more seats for football. That meant the end of the exploding scoreboard because many of the seats were put in the upper deck in the baseball outfield. Then he moved the Oilers less than a decade later. The Astrodome was where many of my great childhood memories took place, and to see it turned into a generic greenhouse because of Adams still irks me to no end. And it wasn't a surprise to see the Oilers bolt Memphis after one season.

I dislike the Titans because of Bud Adams, and those CFL jerseys and the hideous flaming-thumbtack logo don't help matters, either.

IMHO, one way to deflect the talk about the move to Tennessee and better honor the history of the Houston Oliers and the AFL is to go WAY back to their inaugural year unis ( the Oilers, in fact won the first two AFL championships in those):

Houston60.gif

It is what it is.

They also have a ring of honor celebrating the great players in franchise history - Blanda, Moon, Munchak, Matthews, etc.. with one notable exception, Earl Campbell. Apparantly, when asked, Earl told Bud and the Titans that he wants nothing to do with the Tennessee franchise. He does participate with the Texans in events, though.

i'm a titans/oilers fan, and i'd like to know where you got the "no earl" rumor from.

from all i've read, he's most certainly in the rin of honor.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...3089/1002/RSS02

IMHO, one way to deflect the talk about the move to Tennessee and better honor the history of the Houston Oliers and the AFL is to go WAY back to their inaugural year unis ( the Oilers, in fact won the first two AFL championships in those):

Houston60.gif

i love the blue oilers jersey

so long and thanks for all the fish.

They also have a ring of honor celebrating the great players in franchise history - Blanda, Moon, Munchak, Matthews, etc.. with one notable exception, Earl Campbell. Apparantly, when asked, Earl told Bud and the Titans that he wants nothing to do with the Tennessee franchise. He does participate with the Texans in events, though.

i'm a titans/oilers fan, and i'd like to know where you got the "no earl" rumor from.

I guess I was wrong. I had heard that Earl was cutting ties with the Tennessee franchise and didn't remember seeing his name on the ring of honor. He may be connected in some way to the Titans, but I don't think he participates much with them.

I guess I was wrong. I had heard that Earl was cutting ties with the Tennessee franchise and didn't remember seeing his name on the ring of honor. He may be connected in some way to the Titans, but I don't think he participates much with them.

i don't recall ever hearing about earl shunning the titans in the slightest. i'm sure he thinks of himself as a houston oiler and not a tennessee titan, but as i said, i don't recall him ever refusing any event/ceremony with the team.

i know i'd be personally hurt if earl ever denounced the team. working in his homestate of texas, in his beloved city of houston is not a slap at his team, the titans/oilers. even the evil bud adams still lives in houston, himself. not nashville.

whether convenient to the people of houston or not, people need to realize that the titans are the same team that wore luv ya blue. (and wears it again, as of this season)

bud didn't even want to change the team name to oilers. he only did so because of intense fan pressure in nashville. if bud had his way, they'd be the tennessee oilers..... actually, if bud had his way, they'd be the houston oilers, and the new stadium would have been built years earlier. :)

love him or hate him, all titans/oilers fans suffer him. the people of houston more than anyone should realize that bud IS the oilers. i think one of the main reasons he's so unpopular is that he is more the oilers than any player/fan/coach could ever be. he made sure of that.

houston has the texans now, and everyone is happy. i see no reason why fans who remained loyal to the team even after they moved to a new state shouldn't get a chance to see their team wearing uniforms representative of their history once every 10 years or so.

that's like saying it should be illegal to see your ex-girlfriend wearing the sweater she wore the day you broke up. she has every right to still wear her sweater, whether it hurts your feelings or not.

(edit, i mean no insult by any of this. i just hate as a dallas stars and tennessee titans fan, who is passionate about the history of my teams, being told that i can't appreciate or celebrate my team's history, because the new arena/stadium they built over a decade ago is a little further away than the other side of town.)

I can't find any numbers, but I seem to recall that the attendance in Memphis was downright embarrassing. I don't blame them for not supporting a lame-duck team, but neither do I blame the Titans for deciding that playing in a college stadium in Nashville for the second year was preferable to an empty stadium in Memphis.

That Oilers/Titans transition, coincidentally during the two Broncos championship years, is sort of a lost era in, well, all of team sports. They were the Houston Oilers, then ehhhdjhkoadsrfihjefmf, then they lost the Longest Yard Super Bowl. Nothing happened. They just magically went from 1996 to 1999.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Worst idea ever. I'm sure most just want to see the colombia blue again, but as a diehard Oiler fan (and we died hard quite a bit), this would be painful to see. If they wear them against the Texans it will be even worse.

I've been to the past few Texans games in Nashville and the whole Oiler thing is really weird to me there. A handful of fans wear Oiler throwback jerseys, there's a huge mural that celebrates "50 years of Tennessee Titan greatness" with paintings of Luv ya Blu, Run n' shoot, house of pain, etc.. It's just very, very weird to me that some random city a thousand miles away from Houston is trying to embrace the Oiler tradition. Those memories belong in Houston, probably with the Texans. The Titans should've started over with history when they elected to retire the Oiler name and forbade Houston to reclaim it.

I hate Bud Adams.

if it were up to the fans in Tennessee, there wouldn't be oilers stuff here, but it's not up to us. it's all bud adams.

Worst idea ever. I'm sure most just want to see the colombia blue again, but as a diehard Oiler fan (and we died hard quite a bit), this would be painful to see. If they wear them against the Texans it will be even worse.

I've been to the past few Texans games in Nashville and the whole Oiler thing is really weird to me there. A handful of fans wear Oiler throwback jerseys, there's a huge mural that celebrates "50 years of Tennessee Titan greatness" with paintings of Luv ya Blu, Run n' shoot, house of pain, etc.. It's just very, very weird to me that some random city a thousand miles away from Houston is trying to embrace the Oiler tradition. Those memories belong in Houston, probably with the Texans. The Titans should've started over with history when they elected to retire the Oiler name and forbade Houston to reclaim it.

I hate Bud Adams.

Yea, its strange to see that type of stuff. Its like when I see Asylum signs at Colts games. That was a reference to fans at Memorial Stadium (the world's largers outdoor insane asylum). I don't understand why Colts fans would want to carry it over.

But I have to agree. Either the Texans should get to wear the Oilers throwbacks or no one. That team belonged to Houston and they should be the ones to celebrate or honor past teams.

It doesn't belong to Houston. It belongs to Bud Adams. There's no argument here. There's no legal transfer of intellectual property because you guys fondly remember guys in powder-blue jerseys running the run-and-shoot. Bud Adams owns the rights to the Oilers, and there's no reason why he shouldn't, unless the teams, cities, and league want to work out a settlement like the Browns. There's no settlement that I know of. The Oilers are the Titans. Sorry.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But I have to agree. Either the Texans should get to wear the Oilers throwbacks or no one. That team belonged to Houston and they should be the ones to celebrate or honor past teams.

No, it didn't. It belonged, and belongs, to Bud Adams. This isn't the Browns.

EDIT: Darn. Admiral beat me to it.

It doesn't belong to Houston. It belongs to Bud Adams. There's no argument here. There's no legal transfer of intellectual property because you guys fondly remember guys in powder-blue jerseys running the run-and-shoot. Bud Adams owns the rights to the Oilers, and there's no reason why he shouldn't, unless the teams, cities, and league want to work out a settlement like the Browns. There's no settlement that I know of. The Oilers are the Titans. Sorry.

Best post of this whole argument.

agreed wholey.

the only thing that would give even the slightest bit of credibility to the "houston owns the oilers" argument would be if adams had sold the oilers at some point during their time in houston.

the oilers/titans franchise has had 1 owner in history. since 1960. bud.

like i said, love him or hate him, HE is the oilers, and his team is, and always was, the oilers.

It's just very, very weird to me that some random city a thousand miles away from Houston is trying to embrace the Oiler tradition. Those memories belong in Houston, probably with the Texans. The Titans should've started over with history when they elected to retire the Oiler name and forbade Houston to reclaim it.

Yeah, Nashville's real RANDOM isn't it? :rolleyes:

I had no problem adopting the history. We were proud for them to come here, and proud of what they've done in the past. WHy should we forget about that?

I don't blame Bud for protecting an identity that HE created. Why should he have let someone else take it?

Archived