New MLS Cup trophy unveiled

xxjdm66

The Uncle Phil Cup :P

mls_cup_trophy.jpg

Major League Soccer unveiled its new MLS Cup trophy at a ceremony in New York City on Wednesday morning.

The Tiffany-designed trophy has been named in honor of Los Angeles Galaxy owner Phil Anschutz and will be

presented to the winner of MLS Cup on Nov. 23.

It looks better than the last trophy, which wasn't a cup. Now we havw a cup.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives...ls-cup-tro.html

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

mls_cup_trophy.jpg

Major League Soccer unveiled its new MLS Cup trophy at a ceremony in New York City on Wednesday morning.

The Tiffany-designed trophy has been named in honor of Los Angeles Galaxy owner Phil Anschutz and will be

Third trophy in 12 or so seasons? Make up your mind already.

Ok, so it's a cup now, and it's kinda cool-looking.

But... what dfwabel said. Make up your mind already. I thought the previous version was unique and looked pretty damned cool, even if it wasn't technically a cup.

And I hate that they renamed the trophy.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

mls_cup_trophy.jpg

z115312235.jpg?

At least it's a cup now.

PvO6ZWJ.png

But... what dfwabel said. Make up your mind already. I thought the previous version was unique and looked pretty damned cool, even if it wasn't technically a cup.

I forgot about the renaming, too. Poor Alan R. But if I recall correctly, both previous cups/trohpies resembled other ones.

The initial version looked like the very first WLAF trophy as it had "handles" and a removeable centerpiece.

The current version looks too much like the WNBAs.

I'm with you on both accounts Mockba.

This just feels like another example of MLS over-thinking the concept mixing European and American sporting traditions. Having this grandiose, big-eared cup to hold up at the climax of a season is a European soccer tradition, just like naming a trophy after a league patriarch is an American sports tradition.

I may be in the small minority but I like (not love) the new trophy, but reading the article makes me wonder how they are overly-thinking about their sport and league:

The Philip F. Anschutz championship trophy is 24" tall with an additional seamless base of 4 5/8". The trophy features fluid and dynamic handles that include 11 facets on the front and back, symbolizing the 22 players that participate in a soccer match. The gold star represents the championship club, which often incorporates a star into its team crest for each MLS Cup title it wins. The new trophy inherits select design elements from the previous two trophies, thereby honoring the League's history while moving forward. The bottom of the Philip F. Anschutz trophy features a map of North America, with a star identifying the location of each MLS market.

Furthermore, they'll have to update the map after Seattle, Philly, and the additional 2 clubs are added. :wacko:

Archived