NBA All-Star 2010 Logo

meetthemets

I like this logo. The green is a nice connection to the past Mavs identity. And speaking of past, they should go back to/update this:

aa65jz06hggyuale7xmkeefka.gif

And based on everyone's speculations, the court sounds like it's going to look ugly.

That logo was around long enough, and it would most certainly be a piss-poor design by today's standards.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Next point of discussion...Do you think holding the NBA All-Star Game inside a football stadium is going to work out?

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Astrodome 1989 was the last one.

It's gonna be like every other time Basketball is played in a non-basketball arena. It'll likely be on one side of the stadium, with a curtain covering up the other.

Incorrect.

Court will be placed at the middle of the field. This is the same as the Final Four court configuration will be when it is held in Dallas and in Indy. I dont know if I'll like it, but it's the future.

Two incorrects...the last was in 1996 at the Alamo Dome, and Dallas hasn't been awarded a Final Four. Maybe you are thinking of Reliant Stadium in Houston.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Next point of discussion...Do you think holding the NBA All-Star Game inside a football stadium is going to work out?

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Astrodome 1989 was the last one.

It's gonna be like every other time Basketball is played in a non-basketball arena. It'll likely be on one side of the stadium, with a curtain covering up the other.

Incorrect.

Court will be placed at the middle of the field. This is the same as the Final Four court configuration will be when it is held in Dallas and in Indy. I dont know if I'll like it, but it's the future.

Two incorrects...the last was in 1996 at the Alamo Dome, and Dallas hasn't been awarded a Final Four. Maybe you are thinking of Reliant Stadium in Houston.

I think he was talking about the last neutral site domed location and wasn't counting 96 because the Alamodome was technically a basketball arena at the time. FWIW - The AlamoDome is by far and away the best domed stadium for a basketball event because the Spurs were involved in the building's design.

What we are talking about is a scene similar to that of Reliant Stadium and Ford Field this past March. The sacrifice of intimacy for more seats in an open venue. That being said, historically it has been pretty easy to get an upper level Final Four seat in these domed stadiums at a reasonable price. It gets more people into the game and makes corporate sponsors happy. What's happening in 2009 with the Final Four at 65,000+ seats should be interesting because the last 10-15,000 seats far, far, far away from the court are devalued anyhow.

Personally, I think it's a bad trend. It also creates HORRIBLE shooting backgrounds because the first row of elevation is about 100 feet from the end of the court, totally throwing off depth perception. That and domed stadiums are horrible places to shoot in, see the Georgia Dome.

Sure, it will be a great thing for one year. I don't think it is going to start a trend.

Its a great logo for sure, but Portland got hosed again. Its a great NBA city, and amazingly has never hosted the ASG. Back to the logo: I love the spotlights. its a clever nod to the showcase that the game is. i find the use of green odd. i know the alt uni is green, but its nowhere else in the identity. either put it in the mavs logo, or keep it out of the ASG logo.

Do you know for a fact that the Portland ownership has put in bids to host the game? Honestly, I don't see the big deal with hosting one of these things. If a city needs an All-Star game or something like that to validate itself, then there are other issues going on.

To the logo - this is fantastic. I hate the cliche "star" logo for ASGs in general, and events in TX in general, but the spot-lite effects in there make this one work better than any I've ever seen. I hate the font, and the shadow effect. It looks like every concept posted on here by a certain poster who shall rename nameless. Not that the concepts are bad, but I just don't see this style as being fit for a major-league event. The little-green basketball also looks odd to me. It should have been light blue. Neither of those things ruin the logo for me, and I'm marking this down as a solid win.

I do know for a fact that the Blazers management has put in bids for the all-star game many times in the past and never been awarded the game. I can't remember the exact year that they went after it last, but basic response from league has been pretty consistent; not enough quality hotels located near the Rose Garden. Seems like a pretty dumb reason not to have the game in Portland (downtown is 5 minutes away and has tons of great hotels), but that is what the league is going with. We don't need to "validate" ourselves with hosting an All-Star game, but I definitely think we have earned it and the fans in Portland deserve it. 30+ years in the league, 1 championship, a record for consecutive trips to the play-offs, amazing fans, a very nice stadium, and NO all-star games . . . why?

This is nice for Dallas though, should be an awesome game in a very awesome stadium. I think that its great that all the Dallas season ticket holders get to go, that is the way it should be!

I do know for a fact that the Blazers management has put in bids for the all-star game many times in the past and never been awarded the game. I can't remember the exact year that they went after it last, but basic response from league has been pretty consistent; not enough quality hotels located near the Rose Garden. Seems like a pretty dumb reason not to have the game in Portland (downtown is 5 minutes away and has tons of great hotels), but that is what the league is going with. We don't need to "validate" ourselves with hosting an All-Star game, but I definitely think we have earned it and the fans in Portland deserve it. 30+ years in the league, 1 championship, a record for consecutive trips to the play-offs, amazing fans, a very nice stadium, and NO all-star games . . . why?

I was actually thinking about this last night before the Blazers-Rockets game. Since I just moved here and got season tix to the Blazers, I was thinking about how for the Playoffs, ASG, Finals, etc, that I would probably get my seat. But then I thought to myself, there is no way an All-Star Game will be held here.

Portland is a really small town. It's not really a city. Also, the nightlife is really non-existent. There is a lack of quality hotels. As an outsider, I really wouldn't want to vacation to Portland. I definately can see why it hasn't got the All-Star Game yet. Really, same reason why Sacramento hasn't recently (if ever?).

I was actually thinking about this last night before the Blazers-Rockets game. Since I just moved here and got season tix to the Blazers, I was thinking about how for the Playoffs, ASG, Finals, etc, that I would probably get my seat. But then I thought to myself, there is no way an All-Star Game will be held here.

Portland is a really small town. It's not really a city. Also, the nightlife is really non-existent. There is a lack of quality hotels. As an outsider, I really wouldn't want to vacation to Portland. I definately can see why it hasn't got the All-Star Game yet. Really, same reason why Sacramento hasn't recently (if ever?).

I think Portland also had a strike against it because the Oregon Lottery used to let you bet on sports games, and the NBA didn't really like that. Same reason that for the longest while, Portland didn't host NCAA tournament games.

LvZYtbZ.png

Here's the logo with the colors corrected...it looks a bit different this way:

NBAAll-StarGame_PRM_2010_SOL_SRGB.gif

I like it, but it could be so much better. I don't like the light blue outline around the star made up of searchlights. It de-emphasizes the searchlight and makes it look too much like a star if that makes any sense. People aren't stupid, they'd be able to look at the shape the lights are making and decipher what it is without an outline telling them. Also, the gray in the white lettering is completely unnecessary and does make it look like an AAO design, which IMO, no shot at AAO, looks a little minor league. Perhaps rather than underlining the lettering in royal blue you could use the green from the basketball for the drop shadow effect and then lose the basketball altogether. People know what sport the NBA plays, you don't need your sport's key object in the logo.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If it looks like something AAO designed, where are all those posts from the sycophants proclaiming this the greatest logo like ever and stuff?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Its a great logo for sure, but Portland got hosed again. Its a great NBA city, and amazingly has never hosted the ASG. Back to the logo: I love the spotlights. its a clever nod to the showcase that the game is. i find the use of green odd. i know the alt uni is green, but its nowhere else in the identity. either put it in the mavs logo, or keep it out of the ASG logo.

Do you know for a fact that the Portland ownership has put in bids to host the game? Honestly, I don't see the big deal with hosting one of these things. If a city needs an All-Star game or something like that to validate itself, then there are other issues going on.

To the logo - this is fantastic. I hate the cliche "star" logo for ASGs in general, and events in TX in general, but the spot-lite effects in there make this one work better than any I've ever seen. I hate the font, and the shadow effect. It looks like every concept posted on here by a certain poster who shall rename nameless. Not that the concepts are bad, but I just don't see this style as being fit for a major-league event. The little-green basketball also looks odd to me. It should have been light blue. Neither of those things ruin the logo for me, and I'm marking this down as a solid win.

It's the wordmark. Totally. Straignt out of the MBL concept series from a few years ago. The half-shadow doesn't lie.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived