Redesigning the MLB Series

raysox

Hey guys. I've been working on this project of mine, where I redesign the MLB. But because I don't want to be ripped to shreds, I only have 1 true redesign done so far. That is for the Colorado Rockies. I think their logos are outdated, since they haven't changed it since 1993. What I was going for was some aspects of the logo, such as the mountains. So here is what my rebrand.

COL.png

So in this series, I plan to do jerseys for all the teams.

Here's the jerseys for the Rockies

COLJrs.png

I really like the Purple one. I'll also add a patch for the teams respective league.

That's how it's gonna go, I plan to do all the teams, and I have sketches for about half the teams. So if you want a team done, request them.

Note, these are(as far as I know) original concepts

C&C please

Done (30/30)

Arizona Diamondbacks: Logos, Jerseys

Atlanta Braves: Logos, Jerseys

Baltimore Orioles: Logos, Jerseys

Boston Red Sox: Logos, Jerseys Redo: Logos, Jerseys

Chicago White Sox: Logos, Jerseys

Chicago Cubs: Logos, Jerseys

Cincinnati Reds: Logos, Jerseys

Cleveland Indians: Logos, Jerseys Redo: Logos, Jerseys

Colorado Rockies: Logos, Jerseys

Detroit Tigers: Logos, Jerseys

Houston Astros: Logos, Jerseys

Kansas City Royals: Logos, Jerseys

Los Angeles Angels: Logos, Jerseys

Los Angeles Dodgers: Logos, Jerseys

Miami Marlins: Logos, Jerseys

Milwaukee Brewers: Logos, Jerseys, Special

Minnesota Twins: Logos, Jerseys

New York Mets: Logos, Jerseys

New York Yankees: Logos, Jerseys, Special

Philadelphia Phillies: Logos, Jerseys

Oakland A's: Logos, Jerseys

Pittsburgh Pirates: Logos, Jerseys

San Diego Padres: Logos, Jerseys

San Francisco Giants: Logos, Jerseys

Seattle Mariners: Logos, Jerseys

St. Louis Cardinals: Logos, Jerseys

Tampa Bay Rays: Logos, Jerseys, Special

Texas Rangers: Logos, Jerseys

Toronto Blue Jays: Logos, Jerseys

Washington Nationals: Logos, Jerseys

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people are going to rip you to shreds anyway, no matter how much time you put into it. I swear some people on this site don't appreciate the work that some people do. So just do your thing and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Now on to the concepts. Let's start with the uniform first. I always thought the home uniform would look better with no pinstripes, but that's just me. The main logo needs to be tweaked. The reason I think so is because the words "Colorado Rockies" looks like they are just sitting on the diamond. If there is any way you can try to make it flow a little more, like the text belongs there, then that would be better. It looks like you are using paint for this project. Good luck, I'll be cheering for ya! :-)

Some people are going to rip you to shreds anyway, no matter how much time you put into it. I swear some people on this site don't appreciate the work that some people do. So just do your thing and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Actually, the people who get ripped to shreds are the ones who do exactly what you said to, which is to not worry about what anyone else thinks. When people don't listen to critiques and get all whiny and defensive for getting honest criticism, that's when people come and rip them to shreds. Or when people blame a poor concept on the program, like GoNordiques said.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Most of the time people just recolor a template and paste a logo on there. Why should we say it's "cool" or "awesome" when it took less than five minutes to do. Most people who first come to this site don't have professional software, they only have MS Paint. That isn't an excuse, you can do so much with that if you take your time.

I never said that all work should be praised. I was implying that it should be encouraged. If someone has an idea, it is better for the 'senior' guys to help the creator improve. Too many times I have seen people bashed verbally for no reason for their work. I have spent hours on stuff and been bashed as if I didn't try, and in turn I have spent 15 minutes on something and got praised. There are some pro logos that looked like it took 5 minutes to do, so anything that is posted on here should be given a look just like everything else. The point of my post was this: There are very few people on this site that care about the idea behind what the artist is trying to create. They look at what is currently there, call it crap, and move on. All the while not doing anything to help the artist. I'm not saying everyone does it. But it bothers me so much when people don't take the time to see what the idea is that the artist is going for. Am I trying to point the finger at you? No. But I wanted to explain what I meant because I guess you took my statement the wrong way.

I never said that all work should be praised. I was implying that it should be encouraged. If someone has an idea, it is better for the 'senior' guys to help the creator improve. Too many times I have seen people bashed verbally for no reason for their work. I have spent hours on stuff and been bashed as if I didn't try, and in turn I have spent 15 minutes on something and got praised. There are some pro logos that looked like it took 5 minutes to do, so anything that is posted on here should be given a look just like everything else. The point of my post was this: There are very few people on this site that care about the idea behind what the artist is trying to create. They look at what is currently there, call it crap, and move on. All the while not doing anything to help the artist. I'm not saying everyone does it. But it bothers me so much when people don't take the time to see what the idea is that the artist is going for. Am I trying to point the finger at you? No. But I wanted to explain what I meant because I guess you took my statement the wrong way.

Well said!!! jayjackson3

The concepts are nice but I agree with twins8791 that the CR logo is a downgrade because it looks to cluttered! But in all Nice work

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

The reason that so many people get trashed for their work is that regardless of program, and regardless of time spent, there is a true lack of self reflection. There is a high standard here, and all the work that gets panned lacks the creator asking themselves what the reaction to it would be. If something is posted with grainy, overly-stretched logos slapped on a template, it should be obvious what the reaction would be. If something is a simple recolor, you should know going into it that you'll get nailed for it. The point of posting a concept isn't to get an ego boost, it's to share a well thought out idea, where the execution doesn't cover up the actual idea.

Now, on to the Rockies concept. I would definitely use a different font. Copperplate is one of the most overused fonts around, and wouldn't work as the main script font for a sports franchise. Also, the wordmarks could use arcing, since you never see straight wordmarks on baseball uniforms, unless the font is script.

VmWIn6B.png

The reason that so many people get trashed for their work is that regardless of program, and regardless of time spent, there is a true lack of self reflection. There is a high standard here, and all the work that gets panned lacks the creator asking themselves what the reaction to it would be. If something is posted with grainy, overly-stretched logos slapped on a template, it should be obvious what the reaction would be. If something is a simple recolor, you should know going into it that you'll get nailed for it. The point of posting a concept isn't to get an ego boost, it's to share a well thought out idea, where the execution doesn't cover up the actual idea.

I agree that those are all reasons for someone to get verbally bashed. But can you sit there and tell me that you have never seen someone get it for no good reason? I have. I am an artist. I am learning digital art, but I have been a pen and paper artist for years. I have posted work on other sites and see how the people interact, and this site stands out to me by dar when it comes to the reviews of the art. If you are telling me you have never seen anyone get it for no reason on here, then I apologize that I even brought it up. But there are people that agree.

I would love to see the Astros in navy and gold or orange and blue, not this scheme.

Sorry, I chose the current set. I really like the colour scheme. In this concept, I updated a concept I did a while ago(yes that was me), which is a play off the old logo. I also made an new logo, based of the current star With all that behind us, heres the redesign, I hope you like.

HOU.png

I like the way the whole set turned out. Next is the jerseys. I arched the text, and it looks a lot better

HOUJrs.png

So what do you think? I really like the entire set, but thats just me. C&C please

I also updated the Rockies jerseys, with no pinstripes, and arched lettering

Stay tuned for more

Unis for Houston are decent, but ugh, what is with this fascination about that kind of A-star logo for them. It was done once, it was copied, and now you copied it again. Sorry man, come up with something new, don't call it an "entirely new logo I created". Don't like the primary either, why have a stadium used in a logo for a sports team? Just don't get it.

Red wordmark on red jersey? Uh, no thanks.

Why make two separate white pants that are basically the same, with one having a black stripe instead of red? Seems pointless to me.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Some people are going to rip you to shreds anyway, no matter how much time you put into it. I swear some people on this site don't appreciate the work that some people do.

Ok, I wanted to put my 2 cents in on this, jayjackson, don't take this in the wrong way because I don't want to be mean or anything, I just strongly disagree with you. (sidenote: I love your MLB 2028 thread).

Anyway, I know I have been guilty of bashing a few people that don't deserve it, but really, people are being way too sensitive. People on this site need to learn how to take C+C. I know that you, specifically, have many times gotten into arguments about this very subject, defending newer members who you feel are being "bashed". Really, those people just need to learn how to take constructive criticism and apply it, so that they make their concept better. And we do appreciate stuff, just not recolors and the like; stuff that doesn't take any time is therefore not appreciated.

So just do your thing and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

But, that's where you are wrong: he does need to worry about what other people think. That's how you improve your concepts. And once you learn to take C+C the right way, you in turn become a better designer.

So, you obviously don't have to listen to what I say, but you really should stop telling newer people on the board to disregard "bashing", because that's just not a good idea. The people that don't listen to C+C just post what they want, then argue with people that are trying to help. That's not the way to go.

I hope I got my point across, because sometimes what I am thinking doesn't exactly come out right while I am typing.

Some people are going to rip you to shreds anyway, no matter how much time you put into it. I swear some people on this site don't appreciate the work that some people do.

Ok, I wanted to put my 2 cents in on this, jayjackson, don't take this in the wrong way because I don't want to be mean or anything, I just strongly disagree with you. (sidenote: I love your MLB 2028 thread).

Anyway, I know I have been guilty of bashing a few people that don't deserve it, but really, people are being way too sensitive. People on this site need to learn how to take C+C. I know that you, specifically, have many times gotten into arguments about this very subject, defending newer members who you feel are being "bashed". Really, those people just need to learn how to take constructive criticism and apply it, so that they make their concept better. And we do appreciate stuff, just not recolors and the like; stuff that doesn't take any time is therefore not appreciated.

So just do your thing and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

But, that's where you are wrong: he does need to worry about what other people think. That's how you improve your concepts. And once you learn to take C+C the right way, you in turn become a better designer.

So, you obviously don't have to listen to what I say, but you really should stop telling newer people on the board to disregard "bashing", because that's just not a good idea. The people that don't listen to C+C just post what they want, then argue with people that are trying to help. That's not the way to go.

I hope I got my point across, because sometimes what I am thinking doesn't exactly come out right while I am typing.

I gotta say elliot made his case sound really good, cuz all of that has worked for me, so I am going to have to agree with that. Well said elliot

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Archived