Logos that have nicknames

BBTV

I think it's funny how some logos are so bad, and are referred to so often that they take on an unofficial nickname. The best examples of this that I can think of are the Buffaslug and the Mooterous. I'm looking for more examples of this.

This isn't for some clever nickname that you came up with, but more for nicknames whose useage is ubiquitous in our community. To qualify, no mention of the team or sport is required for most people to know which logo you are referring to when you use the nickname.

***work in progress***

Wing A: Primary or alternate logos. Nickname born out of mocking.

(**)
-
Buffalo Sabres, 2006 - present. Named due to its
-like qualities, most notably its lack of legs.

(**)
- Dallas Stars (Alt.), 2003 - 2006. "Moo" from its bovine likeness, "terous" due to it's resemblance to a major

(**)
- New York Islanders, 1995 - 1997. Name earned from its likeness to the

(**)
- New England Patriots, 1993 - present (color changed in 2000.) Named due to its profile bearing a likeness to
Elvis Presley

(**)
- Tennessee Titans (Helmet logo), 1999 - present. A figurative description of the logo.

(**)
- Buffalo Sabres, 1996 - 2006. Due to it's resemblance to a

(**)
- Pittsburgh Penguins, 1992 - 2008 (color changed in 2000.) Due to it's resemblance to a

star_full.gif

- Phoenix Coyotes, 1996 - 2003. Rendered in a style similar to the
of Pablo Picasso.

Wing B: Literal description of the logo that transcended words and taken on a life of its own as a nickname.

(**)
- Milwaukee Brewers, 1978 - 1993 (resurrected as alternate "throwback" in 2006.)

(**)
Stick In Rink

(**)
Flying Skate

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure about these, so I'll throw them out as nominations. Let the debate begin.

* The Flaming Tack

* Robo Pidgeon

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not sure about these, so I'll throw them out as nominations. Let the debate begin.

* The Flaming Tack

* Robo Pidgeon

I'll second those nominations and add --

* Fishsticks/The Gorton's Fisherman (see above)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

How about Captain Highliner.....

890.jpg

I think that is more well known as the Gorton's Fisherman.

I've never heard of that one referred to as "Captain Highliner", but when I hear "Gorton's Fisherman", I know exactly what is being talked about.

"Captain Highliner" = rejected. Never heard it referred to as that before. That is certainly not universally known.

Same with "My Little Pony".

HOWEVAH... the following nicknames have been accepted for induction into the hall!!!

Gortons Fisherman :winner:

Flying Elvis :winner:

I'm seconding Bucco Bruce.

Is that the actual name of the mascot? If the team recognizes the nickname, then I can't include it. Otherwise, it's in.

Are "Chief Wahoo" and "Pat the Patriot" official names?

I believe so. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

"Captain Highliner" = rejected. Never heard it referred to as that before. That is certainly not universally known.

HOWEVAH... the following nicknames have been accepted for induction into the hall!!!

How'd you miss Bucco Bruce??? (Not that I consider that logo "infamous", but, still...)

And I think the "flaming thumbtack" qualifies here...don't you?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm seconding Bucco Bruce.

Isn't that the actual name of the mascot? If the team recognizes a nickname, then I can't include it. Otherwise, it's in.

Same issue I had with "Chief Wahoo" and "Pat the Patriot." I don't think "Bucco Bruce" was officially recognized by the Bucs, but I'm pretty sure the first two were. Just wanted to make sure, though.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I'm pretty sure that Bucco Bruce was aknowledged by the team.

I nominate the Ball And Glove for the list, though.

Roger, sir.

And wasn't that "Ball-In-Glove"? (I don't really know...just tryna make sho' here...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

"Flying V"

-more of a jersey design than a logo.

"Pac Man"

-I don't know what logo is "Pac Man".

"Rainbow Skyline"

-again, more of a uniform element then an unofficial nickname.

"FTD Man"

-huh?

"Brownie"

-huh? You mean the elf guy? I'm not sure that makes the cut.

"Drunken Horse"

-huh?

"Bucco Bruce"

-already replied to.

"Bluenote"

-isn't this a team-recognized name?

How'd you miss Bucco Bruce??? (Not that I consider that logo "infamous", but, still...)

And I think the "flaming thumbtack" qualifies here...don't you?

Flaming thumbtack has been thirded, so it's IN :winner:

I'm not quite ready to go there with Bucco Bruce.

Archived