Logos that have nicknames

BBTV

How about Captain Highliner.....

890.jpg

I think that is more well known as the Gorton's Fisherman.

I've never heard of that one referred to as "Captain Highliner", but when I hear "Gorton's Fisherman", I know exactly what is being talked about.

With all due respect, it's the opposite here... never heard of Gorton's, but know absolutely who the Captain is...

As for the Robo-Pigeon, I thought we were referring to that Mighty Ducks' atrocity...

So I don't know his knickname, but he must have one... Any Ducks' fans in the house???

I will SECOND Winnie the Pooh... he's soooo cute!!!

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canucks - "Flying skate?"

Boston Bruins alternate "Winnie the Pooh"

Nordiques "Igloo"

Also, not sure if this has caught fire anywhere else but here in Regina amongst my friends, but I call the new 3d Ottawa logo "Mark Messier in a Senator Costume"

And also, the New Jersey Devils "Nasty Crap" or "Worst team ever"

HAHA....I have to second "Mark Messier in a Senator Costume." That's just classic....

thirding Winnie the Pooh

As for the Robo-Pigeon, I thought we were referring to that Mighty Ducks' atrocity...

So I don't know his knickname, but he must have one... Any Ducks' fans in the house???

nah, robo-pigeon aka the hummingbird is the 90s Pens logo. the duck busting out of the ice (which is what I figure you allude to) bears the same name as the Ducks' mascot-Wild Wing. If i'm not mistaken, the logo was based on the Wild Wing statue outside the Pond (IMO they shoulda at least kept that part of the arena's official name)

in any event, I don't figure this meets the OP's requirements, as it was based on the costumed mascot and bears its name. I'm almost positive the Brewers' "Beer Barrel Man" also falls into that unfortunately-official area, otherwise I would've nominated it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

not sure what level all of these are in voting, so I'll just say I vote for these:

Toonces

Robo pigeon

Picasso

Burger King

Flying Skate

Bubbles

Goat Head

I'm going to post an update later this evening. I can say right now that Bubbles isn't going in, because I've been a member here since '04 (and a lurker before that) and never heard of it prior to this thread. That doesn't mean that it isn't a valid nickname, but it's not nearly on the level of some of the others.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How about Captain Highliner.....

890.jpg

I think that is more well known as the Gorton's Fisherman.

I've never heard of that one referred to as "Captain Highliner", but when I hear "Gorton's Fisherman", I know exactly what is being talked about.

This whole Gorton's/Highliner thing is just related to what country you are from. I'm in Canada, and up here we have "Captain Highliner" fish sticks, etc. and that guy looks like the dude in the logo. I've only heard of "Gorton's Fishsticks" when people reference this logo on the boards, and they're always American! I've never seen Gorton's stuff in the store.

Wasn't the Washington Nationals'/Senators' W called "Pretzel W"?

That's what it was called before radio broadcaster Charlie Slowes started saying after every win,"And a Curly W is in the books." That was no later than June 2005. I don't know if it's "official", but I've heard Stan Kasten and other people in the front office call it the Curly W.

not sure what level all of these are in voting, so I'll just say I vote for these:

Toonces

Robo pigeon

Picasso

Burger King

Flying Skate

Bubbles

Goat Head

I'm going to post an update later this evening. I can say right now that Bubbles isn't going in, because I've been a member here since '04 (and a lurker before that) and never heard of it prior to this thread. That doesn't mean that it isn't a valid nickname, but it's not nearly on the level of some of the others.

Just like the Lions themselves, Bubbles gets no respect.

Stick-in-rink

I think I'ma have to make a separate wing in the "hall" for nicknames that are literal descriptions of the logos - but I guess I have to agree - the same arguments I made about the BIG probably apply to the Stick In Rink too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This whole Gorton's/Highliner thing is just related to what country you are from. I'm in Canada, and up here we have "Captain Highliner" fish sticks, etc. and that guy looks like the dude in the logo. I've only heard of "Gorton's Fishsticks" when people reference this logo on the boards, and they're always American! I've never seen Gorton's stuff in the store.

Well its my list, and I'm in America :flagusa:

I'll be refining the criteria once I get some more time, but for now, I've started to categorize the inducted logos. I'll make it more robust, with descriptions and links eventually.

Now then, I'm pleased to announce that the Hall has accepted the following:

Robo Pigeon :winner:

The Goat Head :winner:

Stick In Rink :winner:

Archived