MLB City/State Name Conceptual Logos

thespungo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, a flurry of responses -- this is exactly why I decided to post these here, I knew I'd get some good feedback. Here are a few more I've found, and also the re-worked Chicago script:

Not sure how well this works as a stand-alone script. On a jersey it looks alright (in MVP Baseball 2005) but I think I might like my original version as just a logo.

cubsconcept2wsmlcs9.png

I agree with the others. Good stuff and it's nice to see you take the constructive criticism and work with it.

I actually think the opposite with you. When someone suggested the red "C" in the middle, I thought it was a bad idea. But now I think it looks great, particularly as "just a logo." However, I think your first would work better on a jersey because the large red "C" would look odd right in the middle of a jersey, particularly with the buttons.

Good stuff.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's funny to me that so many are amazed that I didn't throw a tantrum when people offered good critiques and suggestions -- sounds like maybe you've had some problems in the past with junk like that. It's just funny, because that's precisely the reason I decided to post this -- I wanna see what others are thinking and get some good suggestions from the other designers I respect.

Now, on to this Cubs debate -- of all the logos I do, we talk in depth on the one that was really a simple job... of course. To maybe give us all a better perspective of how the logos would appear on a jersey, here are some samples from my MVP Baseball 2005 set:

cubsroadconceptyy1.pngcubsroadconcept2qr8.pngcubsroadconcept3xz1.pngcubsroadconcept4gh4.png

On a whim, I decided to reduce the size of the red 'C' and I think it turned out to be my favorite so far... but then again, I feel like adding in the 3rd and 4th options only complicate the issue of which to choose.

The big 'C' in the middle works as a logo, but definitely doesn't work on the jersey, as it would need to be cut by the flap to fit. The small 'C' logos look better on the jerseys, but kind of plain as just script logos. I think I like my original big 'C' at the front as a script logo, but I'm not so sure it works as well on the jersey.

This is fun, thanks a bunch again to everyone for chiming in and playing make believe logos with me. Glad I posted these.

It's funny to me that so many are amazed that I didn't throw a tantrum when people offered good critiques and suggestions -- sounds like maybe you've had some problems in the past with junk like that. It's just funny, because that's precisely the reason I decided to post this -- I wanna see what others are thinking and get some good suggestions from the other designers I respect.

Now, on to this Cubs debate -- of all the logos I do, we talk in depth on the one that was really a simple job... of course. To maybe give us all a better perspective of how the logos would appear on a jersey, here are some samples from my MVP Baseball 2005 set:

cubsroadconceptyy1.pngcubsroadconcept2qr8.pngcubsroadconcept3xz1.pngcubsroadconcept4gh4.png

On a whim, I decided to reduce the size of the red 'C' and I think it turned out to be my favorite so far... but then again, I feel like adding in the 3rd and 4th options only complicate the issue of which to choose.

The big 'C' in the middle works as a logo, but definitely doesn't work on the jersey, as it would need to be cut by the flap to fit. The small 'C' logos look better on the jerseys, but kind of plain as just script logos. I think I like my original big 'C' at the front as a script logo, but I'm not so sure it works as well on the jersey.

This is fun, thanks a bunch again to everyone for chiming in and playing make believe logos with me. Glad I posted these.

The second one is definitely my favorite, even though all of them look INCREDIBLE.

Keep posting whenever you make some!

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Even though it's split by the jersey, #2 does look better for the "in the middle" concept, though the one with the reduced 'C' doesn't look bad. Maybe try a radial arc for the wordmark. May help all options look even better and kinda retro, ala this:

nl_1946_chicago.gif

And this from a Cardinals fan. B)

Had you worked on a Baltimore script before the Orioles unveiled theirs?

As a matter of fact, I did not. Almost did once, I think, but never really spent any time on it. Wish I had, though, then I'd have something real to compare it to.

Even though it's split by the jersey, #2 does look better for the "in the middle" concept, though the one with the reduced 'C' doesn't look bad. Maybe try a radial arc for the wordmark. May help all options look even better and kinda retro, ala this:

nl_1946_chicago.gif

And this from a Cardinals fan. B)

Partway through trying to match the red 'C' to a font, I kinda got the feeling this concept would feel a little more futuristic and modern, rather than a throwback. I do like some of their throwbacks with the arched 'Chicago', though.

Anyways, I guess I decided I liked my first draft the best, as that's the one I decided to put in the first post of this thread to show off all my designs. Everyone likes a different version, which is how I feel, too, so part of the fun is seeing how much debate we can get going about the placement of that damn red 'C'. Never thought that concept would garner the most attention.

• 1 year later...

I make uniforms for the PC baseball video game, MVP Baseball 2005, and these are some new concepts I've come up with that kind of tie in with the theme of this thread I started. Below are the files that MVP Baseball 2005 uses as the jersey in the game:

tigershome.pngtigersroad.pngtigersalt.png

yankshome.pngcubsroad.pngroxroad.png

Some notes on the jerseys:

- The Tigers jerseys are meant to better represent the home/road motif. The 'D' moves to the road uniform, while a 'T' is created for home.

- The Yankees home is inspired by the New England Patriots grey alternate jerseys, with the shiny, silky paneled look. The space in between the pinstripes is alternately white and silver.

- The Cubs road jersey is obviously a tweak on the home jersey to include 'CHICAGO'.

- The Rockies road jersey returns them to their original, classic look, which resembled the Yankees and Phillies road jerseys.

I really like those Yankees' road jerseys. The thicker, silky pinstripes look really classy (as they did on the Patriots' old uniforms, too.) I'm not a Yankee fan, but they've always had the cleanest, classiest uniforms, and your concept reflects that.

Some fixes for the Blue Jays uniforms:

jayshome.pngjaysroad.png

I went with blue, light blue, black only as an outline/accent, and for the road uniforms I used a darker grey with a blue-ish hue, somewhat similar to the dark graphite uniforms the Jays almost used on the road several years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow your work is absolutely amazing! This is really cool to look at, I'll be honest I had no idea you could do these sort of things for PC games. Do you have certain software to do these designs, or how does it work? I'm really interested in trying this out for myself!

I'd say my favorite of yours so far is the Kansas City uniform. That is exactly what the Royals should look like! Keep up the great work!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived