Notre Dame Neon-green basketball Uniforms

HeyDingis

Awhile back, UniWatch had a call for examples of uniforms that teams only wore once - uniforms that weren't throwback or really alternates, but just uniforms that were brought out once and retired. Examples were the Phillies head-to-toe maroon uniforms and the Mavericks infamous cocktail waitress uniforms. At the time, I thought I remembered Notre Dame once wearing strange, neon green basketball uniforms in the early 90's, but I couldn't find anything about them. No articles and certainly no pictures. Every so often, I try to look for them again on the web, just to see if I can find anything.

Alas, today I found an article recap of the game here that says "...all the emotion fueled by the surprise first-time appearance of the Fighting Irish in neon-green uniforms...". Finally, I know I wasn't imagining things. Does anyone else remember this game? Are there any Notre Dame enthusiasts that could point to a photo archive that might have images of these uniforms?

If I'm reading this site correctly, the Sports Information office has a highlight reel of the 90-91 season, including the Syracuse game, in their possession, as well as the coaches tape from the game.

http://archives.nd.edu/findaids/ead/index/ASI033.htm

and

http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/displa.pl?BKB004.HTM+4

Have you tried e-mailing them?

I watched that game on TV...it was...in a word...craptastic.

I remember seeing highlights on TV, and a pic of it in SI, so it's gotta be somewhere in their archives. My fuzzy memory says it may have made more than one appearance, though.

It worked for the Orlando Thunder, but for the Irish... not so much. Now if Lou Holtz had brought out the football team in neon... :D

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm almost certain that I had one of those NCAA trading cards from the early-90s featuring LaPhonso Ellis in neon green gear.

...rad to the extreme! B)

Actually, it was LeRon Ellis in Syracuse Orange; look in the background:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-Star-Pics-54-LeRo...p3286.m20.l1116

Oh wow, it somehow looks worse than I had imagined... I can't wait to (hopefully) see this thing it's full glory.

I watched that game on TV...it was...in a word...craptastic.

I remember seeing highlights on TV, and a pic of it in SI, so it's gotta be somewhere in their archives. My fuzzy memory says it may have made more than one appearance, though.

It worked for the Orlando Thunder, but for the Irish... not so much. Now if Lou Holtz had brought out the football team in neon... :D

Bump!

Here's to someone getting a photo uploaded... Orlando Thunder-reference much appreciated!

BTW, does anyone have any photos of the Orlando Thunder WLAF unis? I mean, we've all seen the Kerwin Bell Pro Set card... but how about some pics of their road unis, or some game shots??? NEON GREEN 4EVER!

I did some surfing around on that ND Archive site, and it looks like they don't have any still photographs of it. They do have VHS, and they will copy VHS for anyone...for a price. Even at that point, I have no way of importing VHS to a digital file. The picture of the shorts behind LeRon Ellis might be the best we can hope for at this point.

I'm almost certain that I had one of those NCAA trading cards from the early-90s featuring LaPhonso Ellis in neon green gear.

...rad to the extreme! B)

Actually, it was LeRon Ellis in Syracuse Orange; look in the background:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1991-Star-Pics-54-LeRo...p3286.m20.l1116

Ignoring the crap in the background, those 'Cuse unis were a thing of beauty.

BTW, does anyone have any photos of the Orlando Thunder WLAF unis? I mean, we've all seen the Kerwin Bell Pro Set card... but how about some pics of their road unis, or some game shots??? NEON GREEN 4EVER!

Thunder neon green in action:

owen1.jpg

yeh, I remember a while back Jim Yackel had some Thunder roads for sale (they're LONG gone, btw)...the roads were basically the mirror of the homes, except the sleeves were green (kinda like how the Surge had white sleeves on their homes but their roads were solid white)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived