2008 Rams home uniforms

dennisbergan

I'm with RC on this one. The solid gold pants just look, well, un-manly. Through some stripes on them in the style of the stripes on the blue pants, and I say great, wear gold all time.

As it is now, however, the gold pants just don't do it for me. The white and blue sets may seem hum-dum, but at the moment they're the Rams' two best options.

Again, all of that changes if the Rams through some stripes on the gold set.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
obligatory *go back to the uniforms when they won the Super Bowl* post

As much as I love those (colour combo, jersey striping, etc....), a change was needed as the blues didn't match. A simple tweak would have been enough back then, but that said I don't see them changing from their current set any time soon.

Unless they really blow chunks for, say, five more seasons. Then I can see a "bring back the SB unis" sentiment growing in StL.

As much as I love those (colour combo, jersey striping, etc....), a change was needed as the blues didn't match.

Neither did the Giants' blues in their previous set, but the G-Men managed to make them work with the re-design.

As much as I love those (colour combo, jersey striping, etc....), a change was needed as the blues didn't match.

Neither did the Giants' blues in their previous set, but the G-Men managed to make them work with the re-design.

Very true. With the Rams though, I think the decision was already made to make the switch to navy and Vegas gold. They could have updated the old look with matching blues and a few other tweaks, but I think management just wasn't interested in that route. They wanted Vegas and navy.

It looks nice, and it fits the region, but I would prefer an updated version of the SB unis myself.

Like a couple of posters above, I'd prefer going back to yellow as the complement. Yes, the blues didn't match, but watching the Giants the other night showed how good a tweak can look. They too used to have much darker helmets than their jerseys, but don't now. Even though I never liked the Rams, or disliked them either, I always thought they looked good till they went to navy and gold.

The only thing the Rams accomplished this year was to associate their blue/white pants with losing. Godawful uniforms, godawful results on the field.

They already were. Shame Chip and Lucia can't get that into their skulls.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I will add my usual thoughts when this topic arises, that the plain gold pants belong in college and the Rams need SOMETHING on theirs, whether it's a single blue stripe to mimic the helmet, a logo, or something. But they're not Notre Dame.

True, they aren't shackled to a giant fat man and the media pays far less attentions to their failings.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Matching blues, some white highlights on the home jersey, and maybe an updated number font, would have propelled the SB era Rams look into timeless territory.

There's no way those old sleeve horns with a TV number imbedded in the center could be worn on today's jersey cuts.

Well that's really a different discussion all together. So I'll just say "bring back sleeves."

Well the Rams are gonna try it on throwbacks next year, so well have to see whether it works or not. I have my doubts and frankly think the current unis are better anyways. Maybe go back to the old colors, but not the old uniforms (even though I loved them at the time).

Stripes on the gold pants would tick me off. There's something so beautiful in the simplicity of gold pants. You can wear them with either set, and you don't have to muddy them up with stripes.

They're just perfect.

Well the Rams are gonna try it on throwbacks next year, so well have to see whether it works or not. I have my doubts and frankly think the current unis are better anyways. Maybe go back to the old colors, but not the old uniforms (even though I loved them at the time).

Stripes on the gold pants would tick me off. There's something so beautiful in the simplicity of gold pants. You can wear them with either set, and you don't have to muddy them up with stripes.

They're just perfect.

Stripes in the style of the blue pants placed on the gold pants wouldn't muddy the pants up, they would still go equally well with both the navy and white jerseys.

Solid gold pants just look prissy on an NFL uniform. JMO, but I'm happy to see them go unused until they throw some stripes on them.

Solid gold pants just look prissy on an NFL uniform

Huh???

Prissy? They don't look "prissy" on the countless other football teams, at ALL levels, that wear them.

Again, stripes for the sake of stripes, is not neccesary. The Rams have NO striping on their helmet and very little if any on their jersey's (its more of a general outline then "stripes"). There is NO need for stripes, on either the gold or navy blue pants. Again, some teams that incorporate striping in their uniform (Jets, Colts, Cowboys, Raiders, Broncos, Falcons) and match them with the pants, look good and coordinated. Others (like the Rams for example) look dis-combobulated with stripes on pants, with a uniform that is clean and "stripe-less".

The Rams navy blue jersey's/gold pants look, is about as good as it gets, for a NFL uniform today. There is a reason, that so many folks, think the Notre Dame uniforms, are the best in football, you know.

White pants, though, do need some sort of striping, to differentiate them from practice pants.

Huh???

Prissy? They don't look "prissy" on the countless other football teams, at ALL levels, that wear them.

Again, stripes for the sake of stripes, is not neccesary. The Rams have NO striping on their helmet and very little if any on their jersey's (its more of a general outline then "stripes"). There is NO need for stripes, on either the gold or navy blue pants. Again, some teams that incorporate striping in their uniform (Jets, Colts, Cowboys, Raiders, Broncos, Falcons) and match them with the pants, look good and coordinated. Others (like the Rams for example) look dis-combobulated with stripes on pants, with a uniform that is clean and "stripe-less".

The Rams navy blue jersey's/gold pants look, is about as good as it gets, for a NFL uniform today. There is a reason, that so many folks, think the Notre Dame uniforms, are the best in football, you know.

White pants, though, do need some sort of striping, to differentiate them from practice pants.

Agreed mostly, but I'd argue that the navy pants need a thick gold / thin white (only on one side) stripe, to tie them in to the navy jersey better for when they go monochrome. Other than that, I think the Rams gold looks best without any striping (in fact I think they're probably the only NFL team that should go stripeless IMO). The white has to go - or be used only with the white jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Matching blues, some white highlights on the home jersey, and maybe an updated number font, would have propelled the SB era Rams look into timeless territory.

There's no way those old sleeve horns with a TV number imbedded in the center could be worn on today's jersey cuts.

Well that's really a different discussion all together. So I'll just say "bring back sleeves."

Yeah, I think most of us would like to see the return of sleeves, but you know what?

Not gonna happen.

Huh???

You know what? For some reason, "prissy" is a perfect discription. I'm not even sure why, but I just somehow agree. It fits. Yeah, at lesser levels of football, some teams can get away with stripe-less pants... although honestly the only time it ever works well is with the stripeless vegas gold helmet with pants combo (ND, UCLA, FSU, Navy...)... other than that I can't think of an example where it doesn't look slightly to completely low-rent. And dark stripeless pants never work.

And by the way... "little if any stripes on the Rams' jersey"?? Really? Did you somehow miss the thick gold and white shoulder stripes that seperate the sleeve from the rest of the jersey?

THAT'S the stripe that needs to be repeated on the navy pants.

With socks that contrast, of course.

As an avid Rams fan (a burden hard to bear) I'll rank the Home Road combo options:

Best combo - Blue and Gold at home and White and Gold on the Road

Mediocre (can deal with it) combo - Blue and White at home and White and Blue on the road (though they need to add a little something to the socks because I hate socks that match the pants).

Horrible combo - Blue monochrome at home and white monochrome away. I tend to hate monochrome at home, but I'm lenient if the design works. Even though I hate the team, I kinda dig Seattles solid blue home set because the pants aren't bare, yet the striping is subtle. It's ok on some of the new fangled teams, I'm ok with Atlantas solid black. The Vikings purple or Arizonas red, not so much. My point is that teams going with a semi classic look shouldn't play with a solid color uniform. And the Rams pant striping is just screwey. Now I'm better with a solid white uniform. I love say Miami or the Jets in solid white. But somehow the Rams white set looks weak. Maybe its just because Bulger looks like an effeminant little boy in them but they don't look good.

I love the blue and gold. I was excited to see the switch because I've been a Notre Dame fan since my youth. I was actually at the unveiling. The white and blue pants just don't fit for me. I could see a tweak to the jerseys, especially the home jersey. But the pants need to stay gold.

As a resident Rams fan, I'll probably get flamed for this, but I actually like the use of navy jersey/white pants and white jersey/navy pants. The gold pants had gotten a little bit overused, being worn with both jerseys. That being said, I still think the execution of the formerly mentioned combos, is a bit lacking. The striping patterns don't match... well, anything, and are inconsistent from one set to the other. If they switched the colors around on the white pants, they'd be fine. If they did, they would actually match the navy pants (thick navy with thin gold and technically thin white, which simply doesn't show on the white pants. See Florida's uniforms for similar effect with the striping, from the orange helmet, to blue jersey, to white pants.) Although, I believe the Rams could then even simply make either a solid gold stripe, which would go well with the gold horn on the helmet, or even leave the white stripes on the outside. I wouldn't mind seeing stripes on the gold pants, though I think they are a team that can get away with the solid, stripe-less pants. And while I agree with the aforementioned "teams with metallic colors should have their pants in those colors" theory, I think that works best when the helmet is also that color. That's why the Cowboys (with the blue jerseys at least) and Lions make it work.

Archived