College Football Bowl Thread

ProvidenceRI

Florida and/or Oklahoma fans would be livid if they had to share their title, and I do not blame them. Would you have split it for Penn State had they not lost to Iowa? (They weren't going to pass either Oklahoma or Florida.)

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Florida and/or Oklahoma fans would be livid if they had to share their title, and I do not blame them. Would you have split it for Penn State had they not lost to Iowa? (They weren't going to pass either Oklahoma or Florida.)

No because they lost to USC. 0 losses is better than 1 loss.

1zqy8ok.gif

Florida played Citadel.

Oklahoma played Chattanooga.

I guess they shouldn't be National Champions either.

Agreed. A team should not be eligible for the national title game unless they played all their games against FBS schools.

LvZYtbZ.png

Florida played Citadel.

Agreed. A team should not be eligible for the national title game unless they played all their games against FBS schools.

Using that logic, FCS teams that play FBS teams shouldn't be eligible for the FCS national championship.

1zqy8ok.gif

Florida played Citadel.

Using that logic, FCS teams that play FBS teams shouldn't be eligible for the FCS national championship.
I could live with that.

LvZYtbZ.png

Utah deserves the National Championship, they have made 2 BCS bowls in the past 4 years, gone undefeated twice, they have shown now by beating down on 'Bama that they are legit, something I have known for a while.

Roll Tide?

And Alabama has won 13 MNCs in the past. Based on what Utah did on the field this year they deserve a split title. The past, as well as your on paper talent, is irrelevant to this discussion.

I'm just saying, that Utah not only deserves a split, but the MWC should be considered for a BCS conference.

kylekorversig1if2.png

Florida played Citadel.

I could live with that.

Many FCS programs wouldn't be able to function without the "money" games. Many of these schools try and fund all their sports through their football teams, and even in that case, many fail. (See ETSU, Iona, and countless other schools) The UT system is so far in financial trouble that UT-C might have to fold all athletics, and the only way they can avoid it is to play the big boys and get a cut of the money.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Florida played Citadel.

I could live with that.

You know, FCS schools aren't completely opposed to the idea about playing FBS opponents. It gives them a shot at playing very good competition, and this experience could come in handy down the road for them.

(In addition to paying for their entire athletic department)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Utah deserves the National Championship, they have made 2 BCS bowls in the past 4 years, gone undefeated twice, they have shown now by beating down on 'Bama that they are legit, something I have known for a while.

Roll Tide?

And Alabama has won 13 MNCs in the past. Based on what Utah did on the field this year they deserve a split title. The past, as well as your on paper talent, is irrelevant to this discussion.

I'm just saying, that Utah not only deserves a split, but the MWC should be considered for a BCS conference.

Perhaps, but all Utah's success this year has done is establish that only they are legit this year.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Roll Tide?

Perhaps, but all Utah's success this year has done is establish that only they are legit this year.

They have been legit for a while. 47-14 in the last 5 years. 8 straight bowl game wins. I don't even know if this team is better than the 04 team. Utah has shown that they consistently put out a good team. And so has BYU and TCU. MWC needs to be a BCS conference.

kylekorversig1if2.png

Roll Tide?

They have been legit for a while. 47-14 in the last 5 years. 8 straight bowl game wins. I don't even know if this team is better than the 04 team. Utah has shown that they consistently put out a good team. And so has BYU and TCU. MWC needs to be a BCS conference.

Consistency =/= Post Operation Iraqi Freedom in duration.

Maybe Meyer just had a couple of really good recruiting classes coming in when he left. You're good now, but can you and your fellows within the MWC keep it up. That is what is important.

Today, we are all otaku.

In any case, national championship teams don't play FCS teams like Weber State.
Florida played Citadel.

Weber State went 10-4

Citadel went 4-8

Chattanooga went 1-11

Utah even beat a much better FCS team.

spacer.png

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cfindex.htm (bottom of the individual year pages)

these aren't end-all rankings of course, but they give you a really good idea of the general strength of a team or conference.

From 1999-2007, the MWC finished ahead of a BCS conference in those rankings 3 times (Big East twice). They finished behind a non-BCS conference (well, one time it was the I-A Independents) two times. This year the MWC should finish about equal to the Pac-10 (though 5-0 in bowls may propel the Pac-10 above them) and maybe Big East (the rankings will be updated after the bowls are over, I believe). Every single year the Strength of Schedule of the MWC was considerably lower than any BCS conference, as is the case again this year. Fact is the MWC isn't good enough top to bottom to be a BCS conference, in my opinion.

And let me add this: many people here want to crown Utah National champions on the basis of their undefeated season, and penalize teams who may be stronger such as Florida, Oklahoma, and USC based on their one blemish during the regular season. I am just putting out there that Utah plays far inferior teams over the course of the season and if they played in a conference that featured stronger teams across the board, it is far more likely they would have lost too. I know they beat Alabama and there is nothing we or they can do, and I have nothing against Utah and I believe they are legitimately a top 4 team, but it is because of this I can't just give it to them that easily and I can't take the MWC as a legit BCS conference. Though I am still generally for seeing some top mid-majors in BCS games (but Hawaii gives a good example against this). All I'm saying.

Maybe this will spur the playoff talk. 11-team playoff, invite the 11 conference champs, top 5 get a bye.

How about this? Cut the regular season back to 11 games. The six highest ranked conference champions and two at-large are the playoff teams. Add two semi-final games and one Championship game. It saves us the trouble of watching the little conferences get bombed back to the stone age every season.

BB52Big.jpg

Maybe this will spur the playoff talk. 11-team playoff, invite the 11 conference champs, top 5 get a bye.
How about this? Cut the regular season back to 11 games. The six highest ranked conference champions and two at-large are the playoff teams. Add two semi-final games and one Championship game. It saves us the trouble of watching the little conferences get bombed back to the stone age every season.
But by inviting every conference champ, everybody gets a shot.

LvZYtbZ.png

or just cut out the bye week that some teams have. i wouldn't be against an 8 team field like you have if there were any guarantee that a ranking system wouldn't screw a deserving mid-major team out of a playoff spot. i still like a 16 team field will all conference champs in, but i'm not gonna hold my breath for it.

...or any other kind of playoff system for that matter.

I will give USC props for winning the Rose Bowl and stomping all over the Big 10's hopes and dreams once again...but I can't rank them over Utah for the simple fact that USC lost to the Beavs, Utah beat the Beavs. It's that simple. And we can't say that USC would automatically take Utah out on a field of play, because I'm pretty sure that 2 out of 3 of you on here had Alabama rolling over Utah, including myself. Watching Utah, that is a team that could beat ANYBODY.

Oh well. I'm with many on here, I know who my national champion is this year. I just hope that the AP does the same.

Archived