College Football Bowl Thread

ProvidenceRI

The Orange Bowl doesn't look sold out, lots of seats covered in the upper reaches...

I sense this is happening a lot this year....and I sense the combination of the economic down turn and a week-to-two-week stretch of erratic, yet awful weather throughout most of the Northern United States are contributing factors.

(must spin the empty seats in the Gator Bowl somehow)

It's the economy coupled with a pretty weak match-up. No offense to Va. Tech or Cincinnati fans but neither of these teams is going to "travel" all that well. Especially Bearcats fans (all 206 of them.) I really don't understand why The BCS didn't split up Ohio State and Texas. Both schools pull huge crowds so why not put Ohio State in The Fiesta and Texas in The Orange?

There were more UC fans at this game than VT fans.

Many Bearcat fans (many more than 206) said if not for the economy, they would be down there.

I was kidding. I have nothing against the Bearcats. Let's be serious here. We both know that when it comes to College Football fans in Ohio, the overwhelming majority of us are Buckeyes fans. I'm glad Cincy traveled as well as they did but you know The Buckeyes would have brought three times as many fans to Miami. I know that Cincinnati isn't crazy about Ohio State but that's about the only place in the state that isn't.

Yeah the Buckeyes would have brought more fans because the buckeyes have fans and represent all of Ohio. Cincinnati mostly has fans in Cincy, not the entire state. OSU is also a bigger school than UC.

Also UC sold about 13,000 tickets of their 17,000 allotment. VT only sold about 5,000. On the UC sideline and endzone, the seats were just about full on the lower and upper levels. VT only had most of the lower level sideline and their endzone and only some of the upper level on the sideline filled.

Signature intentionally left blank

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check that, Utah 21, Alabama 0. Still 4:01 remaining in the 1st Quarter...

... Beyond Wow...

This shows one of two things:

1: Utah is NO :censored: ING JOKE in the BCS. When they get there, they tend to make noise.

2: Alabama must've quit after Florida got through with em.

... Beyond Wow...

1: Utah is NO :censored: ING JOKE in the BCS. When they get there, they tend to make noise.

Maybe Utah should have played in the national championship game....

well, ok I'm speaking too soon ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

... Beyond Wow...

Well it could of been Urban Meyer's Old team vs his New team. Could of been a great game

... Beyond Wow...

This game's playing out almost like the Boise State-Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl where the non-BCS team jumped out to a huge lead in the early stages.

There is still a massive amount of time remaining, therefore I wouldn't be shocked at all if Bama comes back and walks away with the W.

6uXNWAo.png

... Beyond Wow...

I think Alabama went into this thinking Utah was "Hawaii 2.0". I assume the first quarter quickly disabused them of this notion. Now let's see if Utah can hold on.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That was a terrible mistake, then. Unlike Hawaii, Utah has actually played a pretty good schedule this year.

Personally, I'd argue it was on par with USC's. Which is the crux of my argument as to why the Utes should be ahead of the Trojans in the National Title Conversation.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On a very unrelated note: I know each college and university of the participating teams runs an ad during each televised game. I saw Alabama's "Crimson is...". In the end they said "Crimson is The University of Alabama"

No it's not, Crimson is Harvard. :P

I saw, I came, I left.

That was a terrible mistake, then. Unlike Hawaii, Utah has actually played a pretty good schedule this year.

Personally, I'd argue it was on par with USC's. Which is the crux of my argument as to why the Utes should be ahead of the Trojans in the National Title Conversation.

Somewhere about a million pages back in the college football thread I said something to the effect that Utah was the one team from a "lower tier" conference that I thought was a legitimate title threat. If they win this game then they are National Champs in my book.

BB52Big.jpg

On a very unrelated note: I know each college and university of the participating teams runs an ad during each televised game. I saw Alabama's "Crimson is...". In the end they said "Crimson is The University of Alabama"

No it's not, Crimson is Harvard. :P

On a related note, the old Alabama promo listed the rankings of Merit Scholars or something, and Alabama was ahead of Harvard...so Alabama ran an ad using their old cheer essentially saying something like:

"Hey Harvard.

We just beat the hell out of you"

Fumble with 5:18 to go with Alabama down by 2 scores. That should finish of 'bama.

I know this isn't breaking news but the NCAA rules on celebrations are excessive. There is no way a celebration like that of a fumble that essentially should end the game be a 15 yard penalty.

So how many writers will give Utah the #1 spot?

Probably none, although they deserve to be in the National Title game. I'm declaring them my National Champions as the onl undefeated team in the country.

Same here.

Make it three. Utah went 12-0, won their BCS bowl and beat a highly ranked team to do it. I see no argument against them being crowned champs.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived