Final College Thesis

Conrad.

Hello all,

I'm entering my last semester in college (studying Graphic Design), and its time for my Senior Thesis...I figured I would pick the brains of the oh-so-talented and experienced members here at CCSLC. I've narrowed down my ideas to these:

NBA & the community, economy, & culture (an investigation)

college football playoff system (create idea and brand)

NBA Europe/World (idea and branding) ...dont mean to step on toes Ian ;)

NBDL (rebranding all teams, and building a greater brand awareness)

an event branding (NBA All-Star '11, FIBA World Club Tourney, etc.)

keep in mind, this will be the centerpiece of my portfolio going out into the working world, and ideally I would like to find a job somewhere either working for a firm or sports team...also, I feel like I should be telling a story with this project (in which, the first option would be best), but at the same time, I really enjoy the team/event branding of the other options.

Any opinions are welcome, especially from those more experienced members who know what it takes to get a job in the Design field...and of course the people working in the field right now, seeing the work being done and the current trends.

thanks for any guidance, and im all ears.

Yeah, I think it might help us help you if you posted some of the guidelines you were given for this. I think the NCAA playoff idea would be cool but being you're a design major, I think one of the more graphic based options would suit you better. Best of luck, man!

I don't know much about what is expected, but I also like the idea of the NCAA football playoff system.

Also, I think the event brandng could be cool.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Personally, I think the NBA Europe/World or NBDL options could work better because they would give you more designs to put in your portfolio, and I would personally want to see those over the others, unless you're going for one killer design, then I would love to see the playoffs (and it would work better if you want only one design and more for the reasons listed above).

Anyways,

Good Luck!

6fQjS3M.png

If you're looking for a thesis, the NBA study is your best bet. If you're looking for solid pieces, doing something like one event is going to be your best bet. As someone who just graduated as a graphic designer, I don't see the college football idea or the rebranding of the NBDL or the NBA as helping you or even that interesting. If you walk into and show anyone who knows anything showt he NBDL, they'll probably chuckle at it because the real NBDL is the college game. Could you tie the thesis together with one "event"? Sure. How about showing how the NBA is impacting the United States culture, and then showing pieces of maybe the NBA All-Star game someplace unique such as the streets of New York. And the draft in a high school gym in Compton. If you show how important the NBA is to the culture, but show new and unique ideas in the paper and visually, you're going get further than someone with just a nice looking portfolio. Ideas sell as much as nice polished pieces. Take the study of the NBA and bring visuals pieces to it and you will have what you're looking for.

I would go the route of the event branding. That idea also includes the College Football idea too. If you could make the football playoffs as well known as March Madness that would be great. Creating a brand for it would be hard though, since it is a once a year event, like the Superbowl or March Madness. The look may need to change with location changes, format changes, maybe even current events, so maybe an idea of a look for the first couple of years would work best. I don't know, that idea seems best if you can figure it out, but I can't seem to figure out where I would start or what my final product would be. I also think a Superbowl, NBA or MLB All-Star Game, or MLB Playoffs brand package would be really nice to see. It would take a while to research what has been done in that department as well as that city, and what you could do to make the event logos site-specific. Good luck whichever way you go, and keep us updated pretty please.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone...oddball & eray, you make some convincing points. My first class is tmw, and we have to bring in 3 final ideas for the class to discuss and i'll make a final decision during class. I am going to suggest the NBA + culture investigation, college fball playoff, and event branding and see where that takes me.

i'll let you all know tomorrow what I chose...thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

update on this:

I talked to my professor today and she told me to tailor the thesis to the job I want once i get out of school. I would enjoy working at a firm doing sports brand design, or maybe helping to build a current brand working for a team. With that in mind, she brought up the idea of creating a league and branding teams in the league. This goes along with my NBA Europe/World idea and also coincides with the logo design I would like to do once I graduate. Also she mentioned that I might not get a corporate-work type job out of the gate, so I could maybe do another project about a local community sports program or something of the sort.

What do you all think about this way of looking at the project? Any input from people in the field would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Archived