2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

The Angels clinched the AL West last night.

the classiest organization in all of sports

you are not a cardinal

True, but the 2008 Cardinals did not make the playoffs. Therefore we don't know if they would have doused a Josh Hancock jersey with beer and champagne. :grin:

Of course they wouldn't have. All the drunks on the team wouldn't want to waste all that free beer and bubbly on some dead guy.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look around baseball there are no good players in the majors that the Mets drafted and developed.

If they did not make trades and sign people they would never win 50. Their farm system is beyond a joke, and they cant spot talent if it fell from the sky and hit them in the head.

If there are no good players developed from the Mets in baseball, then that means the Mets are simply not that good at anything, correct?

Allot of Mets fans wish Fred Wilpon would sell the team

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Look around baseball there are no good players in the majors that the Mets drafted and developed.

If they did not make trades and sign people they would never win 50. Their farm system is beyond a joke, and they cant spot talent if it fell from the sky and hit them in the head.

If there are no good players developed from the Mets in baseball, then that means the Mets are simply not that good at anything, correct?

And "FIRE OMAR" too. This is just a broken record and am glad it's happening to this NY team because they simply do not deserve to reap the benefits of having a superior on-field product.

Considering all the money that Bernie Madoff "made off" with, that may happen a lot sooner than otherwise expected. :P

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Angels clinched the AL West last night. Their 3rd straight. 5th out of the last 6 years.

And in the celebration, the classiest organization in all of sports continued to be so last night in their celebration. In the champange and beer soaked locker room, they doused Adenhart's jersey in the celebration, the same jersey they've carried with them all season. They went out to the facade with Adenhart's image out in centerfield and they all touched it and celebrated with their fallen teammate. That was definitely one of the more touching and "dusty-in-the-room" moments I've seen in baseball.

So you're saying they celebrated? I don't know about "classiest organizations in sports" because I'm sitting here and can't picture another team not doing the same thing for a deceased teammate. The Angels handled it well IMO, but what team wouldn't put the dead guy's picture (or number) on the wall or run his jersey around after clinching the division?

As for the baseball side of things, I'd hope the Angels would win 5 out of the last 6 years. They're the biggest market in baseball's smallest division and the other three teams are Oakland, Seattle, and Texas. Billy Beane isn't the "genius" he was at the beginning of the decade, the Mariners have lost any sort of resemblance to 2001 (besides Ichiro) and the Rangers, though good this season, will always be hampered in their homer park. Unless the Angels go through a bunch of injuries they have no excuse to not be the favorites in that division, ever.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Angels clinched the AL West last night. Their 3rd straight. 5th out of the last 6 years.

And in the celebration, the classiest organization in all of sports continued to be so last night in their celebration. In the champange and beer soaked locker room, they doused Adenhart's jersey in the celebration, the same jersey they've carried with them all season. They went out to the facade with Adenhart's image out in centerfield and they all touched it and celebrated with their fallen teammate. That was definitely one of the more touching and "dusty-in-the-room" moments I've seen in baseball.

So you're saying they celebrated? I don't know about "classiest organizations in sports" because I'm sitting here and can't picture another team not doing the same thing for a deceased teammate. The Angels handled it well IMO, but what team wouldn't put the dead guy's picture (or number) on the wall or run his jersey around after clinching the division?

As for the baseball side of things, I'd hope the Angels would win 5 out of the last 6 years. They're the biggest market in baseball's smallest division and the other three teams are Oakland, Seattle, and Texas. Billy Beane isn't the "genius" he was at the beginning of the decade, the Mariners have lost any sort of resemblance to 2001 (besides Ichiro) and the Rangers, though good this season, will always be hampered in their homer park. Unless the Angels go through a bunch of injuries they have no excuse to not be the favorites in that division, ever.

On a related note, does anyone else think the champange celebrations are a little overdone in baseball. I'm not trying to single out the Angels cause every team does it. I just don't think winning your division is a big enough accomplishment to be doing it. I think it should be reserved for the LCS and World Series when you've actually won something meaningful.

If anyone is actually interested...The Indians have fired manager Eric Wedge. (It's about time if you ask me.) Story

The Mets should see that you can fire people.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

If anyone is actually interested...The Indians have fired manager Eric Wedge. (It's about time if you ask me.) Story

The Mets should see that you can fire people.

Seriously, every other post doesn't have to relate to the Mets. Everyone here realizes how inept the organization you support is and surprise, there are more important things in life to to worry about than a :censored:ty baseball team!

Thios is a MLB thread and I am discussing MLB events.

You're right about the MLB thread but you've failed to discuss the MLB event at hand, which was the firing of Eric Wedge (personally, should have been done last year) and turning into a "Mets should do this move" which is a tired act.

Sure the Mets didn't meet their high expectations this year, but neither did the Blue Jays, Rays, Orioles, White Sox, Royals, Indians, Rangers, A's, Mariners, Marlins, Nationals, Cubs, Astros, Pirates, Reds, Brewers, Giants, Diamondbacks, and Padres (Braves/Rockies/Twins/Tigers all pending) and least we don't see any constant whining from the fans who support these teams that changes need to be made.

So please be considerate when you post, it's not always about your team.

Oh, don't worry Z3RO...when the Braves are finally eliminated, there will be a chorus of whining from the fans here. :P

A move that should've happened in June (the firing of Wedgie)... look what's happened to the Rockies (who were worse than the Indians) when they fired Clint Hurdle.

Look what happened to the Diamondbacks when they fired Bob Melvin.

Look what happened to the Nats when they fired Manny Acta.

Look what happened to the Astros when they fired Cecil Cooper.

On a related note, does anyone else think the champange celebrations are a little overdone in baseball. I'm not trying to single out the Angels cause every team does it. I just don't think winning your division is a big enough accomplishment to be doing it. I think it should be reserved for the LCS and World Series when you've actually won something meaningful.

Yes, I think celebrations are overdone in baseball, but I think celebrating a playoff birth is just fine. It's difficult enough to win your division or even the wildcard that the players can do whatever they want. The one that rubs me the wrong way however is the champagne shower after winning the division series. This is a new thing too, in the 90's nobody had a party for beating one other team in a five game series.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Oh, don't worry Z3RO...when the Braves are finally eliminated, there will be a chorus of whining from the fans here. :P

Not true. This is way better than I expected them to do. I'm thrilled that they made it this far.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Winning your division is a meaningful accomplishment.

The only time the champagne celebrations are "too much" are when teams win a Division Series. You aren't champions of anything then....you're just moving onto the next round.

Winning your division is a meaningful accomplishment.

The only time the champagne celebrations are "too much" are when teams win a Division Series. You aren't champions of anything then....you're just moving onto the next round.

Funny how hockey players won't celebrate unless they win the whole damn thing, yet MLB does everything but throw a parade if your team wins the friggin' Wild Card.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived