The Canadian Football Redesign Project

dgnmrwrw

Welcome to the CFL Redesign Project. I'll be posting my concepts for all current CFL teams. Each team will have new uniforms, some will have new logos, maybe even new colors. I'll be using this first post as a jumping-off point to launch the individual concepts; I've also provided links to the expansion concepts I did previously. Enjoy!

The Canadian Expansion

Logos-Mini-01.png

Halifax Penguins

Quebec Canonniers

Victoria Admirals

Ottawa Royals

The American Expansion

Logos-Mini-02.png

Milwaukee Muskies

New England Makos

Idaho Thunderbirds

Salt Lake City Stags

Grand Rapids Dragons

Portland Rapids

The CFL Redesign

Logos-Mini-03.png

Montreal Alouettes

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

BC Lions

Calgary Stampeders

Edmonton Eskimos

Saskatchewan Roughriders

Toronto Argonauts

Winnipeg Blue Bombers*NEW*

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presenting the redesigned Montreal Alouettes.

Logo.png

I made several slight changes to the Alouettes' identity, while trying to keep the same general feel. First off, I dropped all black from the logos and jerseys. For the logo, I eliminated the silly cartoon bird and simplified the A. I liked the motion created by the streaks, so I kept them--I have the three streaks flying through the A logo. The "Streaking Lark" logo on the bottom right of the wordmark was a secondary logo, but I couldn't find a suitable place for it--originally, it had been in the A logo, with the bird actually flying through the A, but that wasn't working. I may need to just drop in entirely, but I like how it actually showed the bird itself.

For the uniforms, a LOT of simplification and standardizing was needed. Right now, I think the Alouettes' unis look like they were pieced together from scraps of other uniforms, then some cheap numbers were ironed on. However, the Alouettes' multi-toned shoulders have become iconic, so I wanted to keep that in some form. I think what I have come up with is a good compromise. It's still a little clunky, but there are much more natural breaks in the elements, and the individual elements stay consistent throughout home, away, and alternate jerseys. Yes, a blue alternate jersey is included. The multi-red stripes on it are supposed to invoke the streaks from the logo and the stripes from the old school red Montreal jerseys from decades ago. There are only 3 jerseys--home, road, alternate--because I thought another problem with the Alouettes was the large number of possible combos they've had in the past decade or so. I wanted a simpler, standardized identity.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Home-Alt.png

This is exciting I have been waiting for this project :)

As for the Als, I like the elimination of black a very good choice. I really like the new logo that you used. Only problem is it is an A, which could be an imitaion of the Argos which also use an A. But this won't matter if you change up the Argo's logo.

I love the wordmark and would suggest seeing it on the jersey. It may not owrk because of the sponsors and make it look crowded but it is an idea.

Finally my favorite of the whole lot is the alternate. I love the colors and the design that you used.

Keep it up :)

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Very nice. My biggest problem with the Alouettes' current set is how much mix-and-matching they do and all the inconsistencies. You have standardized things nicely, although I am surprised to find that I kind of miss the blue and red pants.

My main concern is that you could easily change the colors and the logo would work for the Argos. In fact, I think the horizontal wave through the A looks more like water than wings. Making it a bit more bird-like could be an improvement, but it's probably not necessary.

Beautiful. That's really exquisite work there. The new logo is excellent to say the least, and I like the design in general. This might seem a little, well, irreverent, but maybe silver should be eliminated and replaced by white? It might work better with the other colors. I don't know, just throwing that out there. I especially like the third jersey. Nice work. Who's next?

scotland_fifasig.png

This is a great concept man kinda disappointed with the elimination of the Bird

but here's an interesting fact the Alouette is actually a Skylark and the song is about picking the feathers off of a Skylark

Anyways keep the good work up

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Those subtle changes work very well for the Als. A little bit more white on the shoulders could help but it's not that big of a deal. I also agree with others about how a bird should be a part of their primary logo. How about a silhouette of a bird head somewhere next to the A? It would maintain the overall apperence of the current logo without being cartoony. But what you've done now is also nice so good job.

...Only problem is it is an A, which could be an imitaion of the Argos which also use an A. But this won't matter if you change up the Argo's logo...
...My main concern is that you could easily change the colors and the logo would work for the Argos. In fact, I think the horizontal wave through the A looks more like water than wings. Making it a bit more bird-like could be an improvement, but it's probably not necessary...

You know, this never occurred to me. I guess it was the way I started with the old logo and kept making slight changes that built up over time, but I missed it. You guys are correct, and I can't believe it never crossed my mind. Hopefully, the difference in style, colors, and elements between the two A logos will be sufficient to differentiate between the two teams. And I'm still working on ideas for the Argos' logo, so it might be moot.

...I also agree with others about how a bird should be a part of their primary logo. How about a silhouette of a bird head somewhere next to the A? It would maintain the overall apperence of the current logo without being cartoony. But what you've done now is also nice so good job.

I had done a lark's head at one point, but I wasn't very happy with it. Of course, it was a full render, not a silhouette like the flying lark logo I did. With the color added, it ended up looking like an obese cardinal or something. I'll definitely be revisiting this in some way.

Thanks to all for the comments. Very helpful. I will have an update soon. The next full concept up will be Hamilton.

Quick update: I've worked a skylark's head into the right side/behind the A logo. I think it looks ok. It's a good way to get the bird in there, but I really loved the simplicity of the other one.

Logo-2.png

Thoughts?

I like the update alot more the bird can't leave haha but great series so far can't wait to the rest of the CFL

Gorgeous very nice of the bird, I like it more then the original.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Presenting the redesigned Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Logo.png

I made no changes to the logo or colors. Both are, in my opinion, perfect. Love that leapin' cat. I made a slight change to the helmet, going from a single yellow stripe to two yellow stripes flanking a center black stripe. I think it's more dynamic and fits the rest of my uniforms better. Speaking of...

Like Montreal, the Tiger-Cats' uniforms feel disjointed to me. They have the big side panels--which I hate--and the weird piping circling the neck and shoulders, which I think looks weak because it has no anchor to the rest of the jersey. Also, the pants have that weird stripe which doesn't fit the feel of the jersey at all. I really wanted to take advantage of the tiger stripe motif, but without having them turn into a Bengals clone. So right now, the stripe pattern is only on a tapering section of the shoulders. I thought this was a good compromise, because the stripes are obvious and distinct without being overkill. I considered doing the pants as well, but I decided to go with a stripe that matched the helmet instead.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Home-Alt.png

Uni-Road-Alt.png

I think this look is working, but I'd like more opinions. I'm very open to tweaking this one. Anyway, I kept black jerseys and yellow pants at home, with white jerseys and white pants on the road. Black alternate pants included for both sets.

Quick update: I've worked a skylark's head into the right side/behind the A logo. I think it looks ok. It's a good way to get the bird in there, but I really loved the simplicity of the other one.

Logo-2.png

Thoughts?

This is a logo I'd love to get put on to a hat. I can see all of the Als fans at the game wondering what the hell it is.

Alouettes_roadsign.pngBlueJays_roadsign.pngExpos_roadsign.png

I love the what you did with the Ti-Cats, I have always hoped the Tiger Cats would go for something like that with the stripes.

One thing that is bugging me however is how their is always the piping on most of your jerseys. I know alot of CFL teams have it, but I am not sure I like seeing all of them with it.

You are still 2/2 though, without a doubt.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

...One thing that is bugging me however is how their is always the piping on most of your jerseys. I know alot of CFL teams have it, but I am not sure I like seeing all of them with it. ...

Yeah it started as a way to make some of my concepts more CFL-like (they were based on current CFL templates). The first two in this group had them--the Als because it helped separate the different color sections and the Ti-Cats because it gave the stripes some anchor so they don't look like they're just floating. I'm trying to examine each concept on a case-by-case basis to see if it's needed. Hopefully I won't be relying on that chest piping as much in the remaining concepts.

...One thing that is bugging me however is how their is always the piping on most of your jerseys. I know alot of CFL teams have it, but I am not sure I like seeing all of them with it. ...

Yeah it started as a way to make some of my concepts more CFL-like (they were based on current CFL templates). The first two in this group had them--the Als because it helped separate the different color sections and the Ti-Cats because it gave the stripes some anchor so they don't look like they're just floating. I'm trying to examine each concept on a case-by-case basis to see if it's needed. Hopefully I won't be relying on that chest piping as much in the remaining concepts.

Ok sounds good. Your doing an awesome job here dude.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Archived