The Canadian Football Redesign Project

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am feeling the Bombers, I never thought I would be able to handle the Bombers with piping but you made it work for sure.

I am not feeling the alternate, maybe it is the colors.

Either way this has been a joy to watch great job man on everything.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Yes, that's essentially the end of this series. I'm still gonna go back and make some minor tweaks to a few of these, but that's all eight teams. Thanks to everybody for all the feedback throughout all of this CFL stuff. I ended up making 18 concepts, some of which seemed to work pretty well.

I think I may try to tackle the Arena League next. In my opinion, there are some pretty good logos there, and the potential for some more. I can also think of several teams whose uniforms need some major work. Plus, I'm getting a new computer soon, so I'll be able to run something besides MS Paint!

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Yes, that's essentially the end of this series. I'm still gonna go back and make some minor tweaks to a few of these, but that's all eight teams. Thanks to everybody for all the feedback throughout all of this CFL stuff. I ended up making 18 concepts, some of which seemed to work pretty well.

I think I may try to tackle the Arena League next. In my opinion, there are some pretty good logos there, and the potential for some more. I can also think of several teams whose uniforms need some major work. Plus, I'm getting a new computer soon, so I'll be able to run something besides MS Paint!

Just a question, how do you do all this in MS Paint?

6fQjS3M.png

Just a question, how do you do all this in MS Paint?

I think the most helpful thing is that I studied graphic design at NC State's College of Design for five years, so I've got a lot of experience playing with various programs. I've used Photoshop, Illustrator, After Affects, Maya, InDesign (we even used Quark for about a year before switching over to InDesign), and maybe a dozen others here and there. So I know how to do it in the high-end programs, and that makes it easier to rig it the way I want it to look in Paint.

There are still some things that are a huge pain, especially outlining type and objects (which has to be done using spacers, the line tool, and A LOT of touching up), creating effects on type, and resizing or rotating. You'll notice that the shoulder/sleeve numbers on the action templates often look really out of whack, which is because paint can only truly rotate in 90-degree increments. But having the design background makes it easier to get from what's in my head to what I want to see, using the limited skills of Paint.

I also make all my original workspaces HUGE, so I have plenty of room to copy and paste various elements, allowing me to manipulate them until they're just right. (There's a lot of copy-and-pasting involved to reproduce elements, grids or guides, and shapes multiple times. Gotta copy and paste to keep things consistent.) Using such big files also allows me to resize the finals using Windows' preview in slideshow mode of viewing folders, before taking a screen grab which I use as the final image. This makes everything look anti-aliased and helps hide small imperfections.

Finally, the fantastic Paint-specific templates found in this thread have been a godsend. I thank everyone who created and shared them.

So it's possible in Paint, but I'll be thrilled to get back to Photoshop and Illustrator. Hopefully I can make the AFL series (if I do it) look even better.

As a much as I like all this stuff, I can't help but notice all the uniforms have almost the same jersey stripe/piping pattern

Have you seen the current uniform selection in the CFL?

Thats how the CFL is. And being that his concepts follow the same trend, he does a lot better job at creating different striping patterns for each team than the actual CFL does. Just look at the Argos and the Tiger-Cats. Both have the same style striping yet are very different.

jNTsTyQ.png

As a much as I like all this stuff, I can't help but notice all the uniforms have almost the same jersey stripe/piping pattern

Thats how the CFL is. And being that his concepts follow the same trend, he does a lot better job at creating different striping patterns for each team than the actual CFL does. Just look at the Argos and the Tigers. Both have the same style striping yet are very different.

Agreed 100%. Not sure why you quoted me here though?

zzPEfBm.png

Thats how the CFL is. And being that his concepts follow the same trend, he does a lot better job at creating different striping patterns for each team than the actual CFL does. Just look at the Argos and the Tigers. Both have the same style striping yet are very different.

Tiger-Cats ... The Tigers play in the MLB.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Tiger-Cats ... The Tigers play in the MLB.

Oh my bad. Its fixed.

jNTsTyQ.png

no

i suppose that explains it then :I

LINK

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I'm glad most of you think I did an okay job making the striping different from team to team. That was a priority. As far as doing defunct CFL teams, it's not going to happen any time soon. I might do it eventually. Once I get the new system set up, I'm sill probably going to go to the Arena League. I'd love to do the NFL, but it seems like everyone and their brother has done or is currently doing an NFL project.

Speaking of the AFL, does anyone have the location of a better resource for all the latest Arena uniforms other than Wikipedia? It's the only source I've found that has all the 'current' uniforms for all teams, but the quality is crappy.

Archived