The Canadian Football Redesign Project

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stamps look great but I'd like to see a Black Alternate with the Guns on the side that jersey is a huge seller out here I for one wouldn't by it but it's a really nice Alternate.

I've only heard of this gun logo.

Pic?

cal0903-jsb4.jpg

Ok, now I remember that logo. It's an interesting thought, but I don't think I'll be using it in any Stamps concepts. First, it's just a couple of pistols pasted below the original logo. It's too disjointed. And secondly, the pistols don't really fit the Stampeders name. A Stampeder is a horse, an animal quite unlikely to use a pistol. However a person, like, say, a Roughrider, might be a different story...

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Presenting the redesigned Edmonton Eskimos.

Logo.png

The Esks have an iconic logo, so I made a few small updates. I changed the typeface, because the one used for the Es in their logo is, well, weak. I put a drop shadow under the Es, similar to what is on the jersey numbers. I also added highlights, which create a football shape in the green space behind the Es. Also, it's hard to tell, but I changed from black to a very dark green (trust me). I gave them a new wordmark in the same type as the logo. It's different, but hopefully not too out there.

Right now, I think Edmonton has the strongest uniforms in the CFL, so there are few changes here. As with other concepts, I tried to keep striping consistent throughout helmet, jerseys, and pants. I dropped the chest piping and thickened the sleeve stripes. I also tweaked the numbers so that there is a double-outline with drop shadow, instead of a single outline and drop shadow like they have now. I've got the Esks wearing yellow helmets, green jerseys, yellow pants at home. Yellow helmet, white jerseys and white pants on the road. An alternate road set with yellow pants is included.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Road-Alt.png

I played with some other uniform combos and alternate helmets (green and white), but I decided to stick with what I've posted here.

I like the basic ideas, and its certainly clean and simple, but in my opinion this is your first downgrade. Sorry, it just doesn't really do it for me. The black on the pants and new helmet logo don't work so well, and in general the black doesn't sit so well with me. Also, this is an instance lack of piping on the chest doesn't help so much IMO. It looks a little too simple and plain as is. Nice try, and I appreciate the attempt, but...

scotland_fifasig.png

I can see what you're trying to do. I know you're trying to make the Eskies have their own identity without looking like they're aping the Green Bay Packers. I can appreciate that. But I agree with the others- adding black wasn't the best choice. I say that because between the green, gold, and white scheme they already have I think that's enough, and because their divisional foe Saskatchewan already has green and black in their own scheme. Come to think of it, the majority of teams in the CFL already have black in their scheme already (BC, CAL, SASK, HAM, MTL, OTT) so we really don't need another one. Although to your credit you did at least eliminate black from Montreal. I would also tinge the gold so it was more like the Washington Redskins' gold. As it is it's pretty close, but just so it stands out that much more than Hamilton's gold. With so few teams, there's plenty of colors to go around.

Also I would change the road pants from white to green w/ gold socks. I liked the green pants they already had if for no other reason than it was anti-Green Bay. If anything their all "polar bear white" uniforms could be their alternates- especially if the weather is exceptionally hot. Besides most teams' alternate uniform features an all dark uniform, it would be nice if Edmonton did the opposite.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I guess you can't win 'em all... So the major points I'm getting: The logo is a downgrade; and the dark green isn't working.

So I can give this one another shot: Is it the typeface on the logo that you guys don't like? And is it the amount of dark green that isn't working? Or should I eliminate dark green entirely? Because the Eskimos use a fair share of black right now, though probably not as much as I have.

I'd eliminate the dark green entirely. I know you're doing a redesign project, but like you I think the Esks have the CFL's best uniforms, so...I don't really know if they're improvable. The new logo font really doesn't work so well for me. It's creative, and I like the wordmark, but it just doesn't work on the unis themselves.

scotland_fifasig.png

Here's the update:

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Road-Alt.png

Action-Home.png

Action-Road.png

Action-Road-Alt.png

Dropped all of the dark green (not black!), added piping, added green pants, made all-white set the road alternate. Honestly, I think this version is weaker. I think without the dark green the uniforms look flat, and now they really look like the Packers. But, I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this one. However, I do think the addition of piping and green pants are helpful.

Right now the logo hasn't changed. Before the end of this project, I'll probably go back and have another go at it. And I'll probably re-evaluate this whole set. I'm still not convinced this update is better.

I had a rough idea for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Rather than using thunderbolts which seems too much like the San Diego Charges, I thought about embracing something that would be wholly unique.

I thought one idea would be to embrace the WWII motif and create a helmet logo similar to what was painted on the nose of both fighter and bomber planes- shark/tiger teeth. I have a picture I threw together just to show what lines I was thinking about. Bear in mind this wound be for the helmet only.

Mock-up Bombers Helmet

For the primary logo, I had an idea to have a bomber crew badge. The image is borrowed from a re-colored badge. It still needs another element on it such as a football, or a "W" or something to associate it with the team, but I'm sure you better at these sort of things than I am.

Mock-up Bombes Primary idea

Again, it's just an idea and obviously it's your project so you decided if you even want to go in this direction.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I had a rough idea for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Rather than using thunderbolts which seems too much like the San Diego Charges, I thought about embracing something that would be wholly unique.

I thought one idea would be to embrace the WWII motif and create a helmet logo similar to what was painted on the nose of both fighter and bomber planes- shark/tiger teeth. I have a picture I threw together just to show what lines I was thinking about. Bear in mind this wound be for the helmet only.

For the primary logo, I had an idea to have a bomber crew badge. The image is borrowed from a re-colored badge. It still needs another element on it such as a football, or a "W" or something to associate it with the team...

First of all, I was thinking the same thing about the lightning bolts. One of the biggest problems I've had with these redesigns is trying to keep the Ti-Cats from looking like the Bengals, the Eskimos from looking like the Packers, and the Bombers from looking like the Chargers.

And along those lines, I was also looking at a theme of actual bombers, airmen, etc. I had looked at some crew badges, and a secondary logo I'm working on is derived from them.

As far as your helmet idea, that's a pretty interesting concept. I don't think it's necessarily where I want to go with mine (maybe for an alternate?), but it's definitely thought provoking. I can either see it working beautifully and being really unique, or not working at all and being a total flop. I'll look at it some more when I finish the Winnipeg concept.

Presenting the redesigned Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Logo.png

I've done a completely new logo and theme for the Roughriders. (And before anyone says anything, I do realize the similarity to the old Las Vegas Posse. I didn't remember about them until I was almost done with this. And since they were around for 1 year and have been defunct for 15, I figured it was okay.)

I like the current Roughriders logo just fine and I know its long history, but I wanted to make something for them that actually felt like it fit the Roughriders name. So the primary logo is a western-style S around a sheriff's badge. The wheat on the S is a reference to the old identity and to Saskatchewan. The secondary logo, which can be seen here, consists of two crossed revolvers set inside a border with six rivets (or six chambers).

For the uniforms, I kept them relatively simple, but with a modern feel. I was afraid the numeral style might be too strong, but I don't think it is. It's a nice change from plain block numerals. The Roughriders wear green helmets, green jerseys, and silver pants at home. White jerseys and green pants on the road, with an alternate road set featuring silver pants. The home alternate is a throwback.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Road-Alt.png

Uni-Home-Alt.png

Archived