Memphis cancels FedEx Jersey Night...

RamblinGamblinTiger

I was on the fence on this one, because I always have trouble arguing with sponsorship and tie-ins and things like this, especially with how important FedEx is to Memphis. Something didn't sit right with me about it.

However, I now have to disagree with their execution. I read a comment on a Commercial Appeal article about the tribute, and realized the commentor was spot on: FedEx's colors aren't orange and purple. They're Purple and Gray for corporate, and Purple and _____ depending on the service.

To salute FedEx Express, the right compliment would be orange....as a trim color. So the uniform should be purple, with orange trim. Not the other way around. In fact, going with the purple uni trimmed in orange and/or gray would have been much more subtle and classy, and because purple and blue look similar anyway, I doubt anyone would have cared nearly as much as they do over the orange almost-jersey (which will be auctioned off at the basketball banquet anyway, it appears).

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

That reminds me...

When the Grizzlies first moved from Vancouver to Memphis, FedEx tried to get them to change their name to the Memphis Express and adopt a color scheme similar to the company's. Of course, the NBA nixed that from the get-go.

bYhYmxh.png

I love how people were upset that this jersey would 'blur the lines' between college amatuerism and pro sponsorship....EXCUSE ME!? Since when has there NOT been 'pro-like' advertisement in college sports. UofL Cardinals fottball program play in the Papa Johns Stadium, Xavier University basketball play in the Cintas Center. Univ. of Michigan just switched from Nike to Adidas so the 3 Stripes will be on all merchandise and on the field of play. I won't even mention the Bowl games, but here is what Chris has:

http://www.sportslogos.net/league.php?id=68.

My favorite:

Poulan Weed-Eater Independence Bowl.

To me the Memphis jersey is just another jersey with the potential to become a HUGE collectors item, if people can get their hands on them. I think a few people just made a mountain out of an ant hill. Where was the outcry when almost all college teams went pink this past week for breast cancer? If you're going to have a a cow over the colours of Fed Ex then you should have an hissy fit over all jersey colour and advertisement change.

That reminds me...

When the Grizzlies first moved from Vancouver to Memphis, FedEx tried to get them to change their name to the Memphis Express and adopt a color scheme similar to the company's. Of course, the NBA nixed that from the get-go.

When I saw the jersey on Uni Watch I immediately thought it was a Memphis Express prototype.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Where was the outcry when almost all college teams went pink this past week for breast cancer?

I would dare say cancer is just a wee bit different than grabbing your ankles for a corporate entity.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love how people were upset that this jersey would 'blur the lines' between college amatuerism and pro sponsorship....EXCUSE ME!? Since when has there NOT been 'pro-like' advertisement in college sports.

The more I think of it, the more I am stunned that the NCAA Final Four has yet to fall prey to corporate $ponsorship (example: "The Coca-Cola Final Four" or "The AT&T Championship Game") after seeing how each and every NCAAF bowl game has had their price.

6uXNWAo.png

I love how people were upset that this jersey would 'blur the lines' between college amatuerism and pro sponsorship....EXCUSE ME!? Since when has there NOT been 'pro-like' advertisement in college sports.

The more I think of it, the more I am stunned that the NCAA Final Four has yet to fall prey to corporate $ponsorship (example: "The Coca-Cola Final Four" or "The AT&T Championship Game") after seeing how each and every NCAAF bowl game has had their price.

Bowl games are their own private entities, not run by the NCAA. The bowl games invite teams to participate, but are not run by the NCAA.

The Final Four and Frozen Four may be sponsored by Coke or Gillette or whatever during commercials and such, but you won't see any of their ads or logos in camera sight during the games' broadcasts. Even the respective arenas' names are usually set in a generic typeface on court or on ice at the venues.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived