Minnesota Twins '09 Unis

TwinsTerritory

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they wore the TC hats full time, dropped the pointless vest alts, and went with the twins/state patch on all their jerseys, the team would have a near perfect look.

I kinda like the road pinstripes, actually.

If they wore the TC hats full time, dropped the pointless vest alts, and went with the twins/state patch on all their jerseys, the team would have a near perfect look.

I kinda like the road pinstripes, actually.

I disagree on the hats. I like the distinction of having the TC at home and the M hat on the road. I love both caps.

But as I said, they only wear the M for half the game. They wear the TC for the other half, on their helmets. What's the point of wearing one insignia 25% of the time and 75% for the other? That's silly. Lose the M. It's ugly, anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I take offense at the statement "utter crappitude of their uniform set taken as a whole of any team in professional sports". That's nuts. They've got a perfectly good home and road pairing and gorgeous home and road blue alternates with the addition of a great Saturday throwback alternate for this year.

Their vest jersey is nothing to get excited about, but 5 out of 6 good ones is a pretty damn good average.

First off, 5-for-6 isn't all that impressive. I once saw Puckett go 6-for-6.

Were you at that game (Milwaukee 1987)? I was there on the annual "see the Twins outside" trip to Milwaukee. Best baseball game ever.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

How do you feel about the nameplates over pinstripes? You're actually pro-, right?

Well, this is a very minor point, but I'm for nameplates over pinstripes in all instances, not just the Twins. With letters or numbers, the first priority must always be legibility. Putting thin letters over vertical stripes reduces the legibility of the letters. If you're not willing to accept the slight aesthetic cost of the nameplate, then you just need to get rid of the names. And by "you" I mean the execs behind any team that wears pinstripes. The Yankees do it right. The Twins do it right. Most other teams do not. There's a pretty basic design principle at work here, and putting names directly over pinstripes violates that principle. It may be more attractive in some abstract sense, but it's bad design.

(And I merely watched Puck's 6-for-6 game on TV. I'm still not sure which was the better watching-a-historic-game-on-TV moment: Puckett going 6-for-6, or watching one of Nolan Ryan's Texas no-hitters from the second inning.)

I've gotta say that my quibbles with the Twins uniforms are all in the details. I love all the elements on their own, and even the many things that the Twins do badly with their unis, I generally like the idea if not the execution. I'd be a very happy guy if the Twins simply went back to what they wore in 1991, then hired a very good designer to improve the TC logo and integrate it into their identity better. At the core of the disgraceful mess the Twins have made of their uniforms the last 15 years is one of the best uniforms in baseball history, a uniform set that it's worth remembering helped spark the 1990s renaissance of quality uniform redesigns.

20082614447.png

The Phillies simply use a white outline around the letters that go over their pinstripes, and they're perfectly legible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, this is a very minor point, but I'm for nameplates over pinstripes in all instances, not just the Twins. With letters or numbers, the first priority must always be legibility. Putting thin letters over vertical stripes reduces the legibility of the letters. If you're not willing to accept the slight aesthetic cost of the nameplate, then you just need to get rid of the names. And by "you" I mean the execs behind any team that wears pinstripes. The Yankees do it right. The Twins do it right. Most other teams do not. There's a pretty basic design principle at work here, and putting names directly over pinstripes violates that principle. It may be more attractive in some abstract sense, but it's bad design.

I'm sorry, Wonk, but that just doesn't hold any water.

white_sox_080930ap_1001760c.jpg

Chicago_cubs_celebrate_2004.jpg

New%20York%20Mets%20v%20Colorado%20Rockies%20hbhml1sI0gjl.jpg

page2_g_1986mets_600.jpg

No problem reading any of those names. If that's really a problem, the Phillies' white outline is a good idea. You don't need a nameplate.

I'm sorry, Wonk, but that just doesn't hold any water.

Well, I grant that it's a thin reed. But I didn't say the lack of a nameplate makes the letters illegible, just less legible. Which is indisputably true -- or do you make a habit of turning ruled paper sideways so that the lines run up and down through the words you're writing? Of course not. Further, we don't watch ballgames as a series of still pictures through zoom lenses with very high shutter speeds. We watch games from a distance or on a small screen, in real time with the players in motion. If you're in the stands, or watching on TV, NOBs are nearly unreadable most of the time anyway. So the very small marginal reduction in legibility without the nameplate counts. (And no, the Phillies don't have a particularly good solution, since their white outlines still allow the pinstripes to run into the negative spaces of the letters, and that's the whole problem. The clarity of a letter's negative space is the most important determinant of its legibility in the conditions that apply here. Which is why double- or triple-outlined letters are also such a bad idea. If you're not going to respect the letters as letters, then just don't have letters.)

Anyway, my tenuous claims on the matter are limited to a thin margin of legibility, but I think that it's a margin that actually matters.

20082614447.png

I agree with you on the Twins. They'd be navy letters on navy pinstripes, no trim on the letters. That is questionable. The other teams pictured all have outlines on the letters. (The Mets also have drop-shadows which make it worse.) They could always put red trim on the letters, I suppose.

I'm with you on the multi-outlined letters. Oddly enough, the double outlines on the White Sox' thirds is clear, but the Marlins and Rockies are a farce.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Even granting that your proposition is true for the moment, a white outline would solve the problem much more elegantly than the nameplate.

Nameplates make the players look interchangeable and disposable. Sewing the names on make them appear to actually be part of the team.

Archived