Committee Votes To Ban Leaf Jerseys In Ottawa

Grandmaster C

Just to bug ya Chris. :P

Committee Votes To Ban Leaf Jerseys At Corel Centre

OTTAWA - Maple Leaf fans beware. Ottawa councillors want to ban your hockey sweaters from the Corel Centre.

Coun. Rick Chiarelli wants the Senators' home rink to be a Senators-paraphernalia-only zone.

Because of the budget-cutting exercise, there's been nothing but negative news coming out of city council committee meetings these days.

So, was Tuesday's decision a diverson from it all? Or was it real?

Every councillor on the committee voted in favour of it.

Coun. Chiarelli admits this resolution is meant to lighten the mood of Ottawa citizens. But he says he means every word of this resolution.

"The Senators have been an integral part of the economy in Ottawa, and our civic branding, and it's offensive to [have] a bunch of people walking around with Toronto Maple Leaf jerseys when civic pride is on the line."

Chiarelli believes the resolution will pass when the full city council votes on it later this month.

"I've been to the Leafs-Sens games, and up to 20 per cent of the people are cheering for the Leafs, wearing Leafs' paraphernalia. That can't be good for progress. It can't be good for the city's image or branding."

If city council approves it, city officials say that doesn't mean bylaw officers will kick people out of the Corel Centre at the next game. But food-bank officials will be close at hand to collect donations from offending fans as they leave.

Mayor Bob Chiarelli says, "Certainly it's tongue-in-cheek. It's meant to create some excitement around the city. We want the Maple Leaf fans in the Corel Centre to realize that the city is behind the Senators."

City council will vote on the issue on March 24. The next game between the Senators and Leafs is April 3.

Link: http://ottawa.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View...jerseys20040316

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

I read that too and had a good laugh. there is an initiative to amend this to make it a mandatory food donation. It's an interesting proposition, but why? would Buffalo or Montreal take up simalr stances? Just look at the Buffalo Toronto game the other night that the Leafs won 6-5. Massive Leafs chants. I'm sure that the Sabres don't mind the Leafs fans coming into town ot spend money at their arena once in awhile.

There is a reaction in the Toronto Star today, the Leafs wouldn't take up a similar position, becasue no one in Toronto would wear a jersey that ugly to any arena :D

ROFLMAO! That is hilarious. I would get people who only have Leaf jerseys on in Ottawa and force them to take it off. Then the fun happens! :P

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

It's meant as a joke, but are they telling visiting fans they can't cheer for their own team? I would think that being in Canada they would want to encourage spending money, not try to alienate some hockey fans from spending money in their city. If someone told me I couldn't wear the jersey of my team if I went to watch them in another city, I'd think twice about buying tickets or concessions.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

They should be more concerned with getting the building full of their own fans... then they wouldn't have to worry about this type of thing.

Toronto doesn't need to impose a similar measure, our building gets sold out for all games so visiting jerseys are hardly seen.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Toronto doesn't need to impose a similar measure, our building gets sold out for all games so visiting jerseys are hardly seen.

Yeah, its hard to see all those hockey jerseys with all the suits sitting so close to the glass

Yeah, its hard to see all those hockey jerseys with all the suits sitting so close to the glass

Was that an insult? I'm not sure... either way :P

---

Chris Creamer

They should be more concerned with getting the building full of their own fans... then they wouldn't have to worry about this type of thing.

...except for two people come June if a certain someone goes to the Finals! :D

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I love this becoming a law. It says a lot about "Be a fan of your home team."

Although, to be fair, I would not be in favor of actually enforcing it.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

they should pass this law. there should be a HOME TEAM FIRST attitude.

I can only hope they do something similar in San Jose. its rediculous how many people are in red when detroit comes in.

when you walk into an arena, its plain and simple: its WRONG to root against the home team.

Simple Solution: Don't want other teams to be cheered in your building? get your own fans to buy tickets and come out

Thank you zer0....

If you sell out every game you don't have to worry about visiting fans in the building.

If you start banning road team fans from coming into the building, then, well, I guess we lost the war... lol

---

Chris Creamer

This makes teh Senators look small and petty. Its a bush league move, and I dont think they can enforce it. Becuase if they actually ever eject a Leafs fan then they could face a nice lawsuit.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This makes teh Senators look small and petty. Its a bush league move, and I dont think they can enforce it. Becuase if they actually ever eject a Leafs fan then they could face a nice lawsuit.

What better place for a lawsuit than Ottawa, eh? :flagcanada:

I saw, I came, I left.

It just perpitrates what most Leafs fans (at least the ones I am around here) think, is that the Senaqtors are a bunch of wimps and can't win the battle fo Ontario, so now they're getting cheap. It's just whining and moaning. Like I said, if they don't like Leaf unifroms in their building, they should get their own fans into the seats before Leafs fans do

Archived