MLS League Badge

Krona

I've never been crazy about the MLS badge. The league doesn't need any more help looking amateur-ish. That said, they are taking positive steps in the rebrand of many teams. I kept the blue and green, but tweaked them. Its unique and identifiable to the MLS. I ditched black for a warm grey. I'd like to get some feedback on which of these you like better, or if you loathe them both.

MLS-Redux.jpg

****UPDATE BELOW****

Great work. Actually, I think the second one has more balance. I feel the soccer ball on the first throws things off a bit, but the wordmark with the ball by itself would serve well as a banner of some sort.

It's funny, the first thing that popped into my head when I looked at the first one was this trackmichiganlogo.jpg, which is why I think the second one is the stronger of the two concepts. I love the color scheme, the green and the navy work very well together, and I love the font choice, it suits the concept well.

It's a clean logo and I guess it would work, but I feel like there is too much empty space where the green and white stripes are and that MLS is a little small. I feel like the stripes are the focal point currently and the MLS gets looked at second. I think you should either put something over the stripes that would represent MLS or make MLS larger and more prominent. This is a great start, though and I think MLS could definitely use a new badge!

Edit: I was actually thinking just the other night about how the MLS could/might add a new league logo given what they have done with the new scudetto and MLS Cup trophy. I guess great minds think alike.

Edit numero dos: I think another way you could do it would be to move down the ribbon, extend the blue area, make "MLS" larger, and axe the 1996 part. And another thing, do the number of stripes stand for anything. If they don't I think you should put in a number of stripes that stands for something. Otherwise I think the idea of having the stripes will seem kind of contrived. Again, though you're off to a fantastic start with this. Keep up the good work.

The second is better but I must echo the call for a soccer ball. NFL, MLB, and NBA have balls (tee hee) on their league logos (maybe the NHL would be doing better if they had a puck on their logo). The American people demand to see balls!

Frankly, I'd like to see a large one in the middle touching the banner and the end of the strips at the bottom. I'd rather avoid a ball floating on stripes.

It's a clean logo and I guess it would work, but I feel like there is too much empty space where the green and white stripes are and that MLS is a little small. I feel like the stripes are the focal point currently and the MLS gets looked at second. I think you should either put something over the stripes that would represent MLS or make MLS larger and more prominent. This is a great start, though and I think MLS could definitely use a new badge!

Edit: I was actually thinking just the other night about how the MLS could/might add a new league logo given what they have done with the new scudetto and MLS Cup trophy. I guess great minds think alike.

Could two stars be added to the green/white stripes to signify the number of conferences?

Overall, like everyone else has said, the second logo is clean, smooth, and has the "feel" of a worthy league crest.

thanks for the comments guys. i've messes with the ball in the lower portion of the logo and will continue. i like the two stars idea, but with talk of a single table, i'd rather not. i did try a star and maple leaf to highlight the international aspect, but it seemed a little lopsided. i'll return with an example of how it would sit on a shirt sleeve as well as a polished version for media.

thanks for the comments guys. i've messes with the ball in the lower portion of the logo and will continue. i like the two stars idea, but with talk of a single table, i'd rather not. i did try a star and maple leaf to highlight the international aspect, but it seemed a little lopsided. i'll return with an example of how it would sit on a shirt sleeve as well as a polished version for media.

Will you also start an MLS rebrand thread, if so can't wait.

Will you also start an MLS rebrand thread, if so can't wait.

Im a little exhausted with all the league wide threads, but i have been rebranding the teams over the last 2 years. maybe i'll cart them all out again and bundle them together.

I like the start on this design, though I agree about the empty space.

I personally wonder why the current MLS logo is so reviled. I think it's a fine logo.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived