Spring Training

gEO 3b 4

Every year during spring training I notice some teams switch up their normal uniform arrangements. For instance right now, and in years past I've noticed the cardinals wear their home red hat during road games during the spring, with their gray road uniforms. They're playing the Mets today in Port St. Lucie and it's no exception. Another example is back prior to the red cap returning to the Rangers' set the managers and coaches, particularly buck Showalter would wear the red cap during games while the team wore the blue. Those are just two off the top of my head but I'm sure as the spring progresses and we see more games I'll see other instances of this. Anyone know why teams do this? Why would the Cardinals wear their home caps with their road unis and so on? Just something I noticed that I thought was interesting and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into these practices of mixing up the uniform configuration.

Thanks.

The Rangers and their red hats was a personal preference of Showalter's. When he was still with the Diamondbacks, he and the coaches would wear the old white hats with purple bills that were never worn by the players after the 1998 season. I have no idea why, but at least he was consistent.

The Cardinals probably wear the red helmets, because it is a lot cheaper to have just one set of helmets for hundreds of players who probably won't even make the team.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

didn't Showalter have white caps specially made for him and his staff when he was with the Yankees? I aint 100% sure but I seem to recall that.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Buck Showalter made the coaches wear different caps because Buck Showalter is weird.

I saw that the Cardinals were wearing their red hats with their grey outfits today. It looked quite dashing. I hope this is a change for 2009.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Buck Showalter made the coaches wear different caps because Buck Showalter is weird.

I saw that the Cardinals were wearing their red hats with their grey outfits today. It looked quite dashing. I hope this is a change for 2009.

They've been doing this for Spring Training since the late 90's switch. Navy caps are still the primary road caps.

They've been doing this for Spring Training since the late 90's switch. Navy caps are still the primary road caps.

I'm guessing the Cards wear the red hats for road spring training games so that they only have to pack one set of caps for spring training.

And while the Showalter/coaches' cap thing is different, it's hardly unprecedented. The A's manager and coaches wore white hats w/green bills during regular-season games in the 1970s while the team wore the green hat/yellow bill.

2963681328_51b8203744.jpg

I would think because there are so many players that he hasn't met personally, or at least care to remember them by name or number, and there were also a lot more coaches (from all levels within the organization and even guest/intern coaches), that it was a good way for quick differentiation.

I also love the Cardinals' spring training road look.

Another oddity -- for Cubs fans anyway -- is that the Cubs always wear their home whites for home games. No blue alts or even BPs, which of course is the ST norm. That results in blue-only guys like Carlos Zambrano wearing a jersey they otherwise never would in their starts. (Except the one recent year they killed the blue alt completely.) It seems so backward to me. Haven't seen any games yet to see if they kept this tradition alive for 2009.

didn't Showalter have white caps specially made for him and his staff when he was with the Yankees? I aint 100% sure but I seem to recall that.

Now that u mention it I think he did. And I do now recall him continuing to wear the White D-backs cap after 1998. i actually have one of those. So yeah, Buch Showalter is a pretty weird guy.

It's Major League Baseball's version of the non-arched Red Wings nameplates or the Steelers without numbers on the front of their helmets. Every year someone is tricked into thinking that they've changed

PvO6ZWJ.png

None of that challenges my assertion that Buck Showalter is weird, though.

Ya he is a weird but personally he is a great guy. I spent some time with his a few summers ago and got to know him. He is very particular about his candy bars (he likes Snickers, nothing nougat). The guy also has no idea how to use a cell phone, which was very entertaining trying to show him how to use a Bluetooth! Anyway, their is no moral to this story, he is still a weird guy!

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

Just something I noticed that I thought was interesting and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into these practices of mixing up the uniform configuration.

I guess this is kinda uniform related, but I read in yesterday's Baltimore Sun something about players switching uniforms. Apparently the Tony LaRussa and Dave Trembley discussed the possibility of the Orioles "loaning" pitchers to the Cardinals. The Orioles have a lot of pitchers that they want to get innings while the Cardinals don't really have enough. Supposedly the Cardinals GM nixed the idea as soon as it was brought to him, while Andy MacPhail said the idea was never brought to him but he'd be "open" to it.

Just an interesting thing I thought I'd share. I'm not sure if it would have allowed by MLB anyway. But it certainly would have helped both teams, and since they won't play each other this season there would be no reason to worry about conflicts of interest

Just something I noticed that I thought was interesting and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into these practices of mixing up the uniform configuration.

I guess this is kinda uniform related, but I read in yesterday's Baltimore Sun something about players switching uniforms. Apparently the Tony LaRussa and Dave Trembley discussed the possibility of the Orioles "loaning" pitchers to the Cardinals. The Orioles have a lot of pitchers that they want to get innings while the Cardinals don't really have enough. Supposedly the Cardinals GM nixed the idea as soon as it was brought to him, while Andy MacPhail said the idea was never brought to him but he'd be "open" to it.

Just an interesting thing I thought I'd share. I'm not sure if it would have allowed by MLB anyway. But it certainly would have helped both teams, and since they won't play each other this season there would be no reason to worry about conflicts of interest

LaGenius comes up with some brillant ideas :wacko:

Archived