Chicago Bears Concept

AAO

Sorry if the image quality is a little low, Illustrator to .gif doesn't always translate well. This was initially just a sketch I was doing with no specific team or sport in mind, but this is what came of it. I personally feel like the head logo itself is lacking depth. The typeface is custom. I'm experimenting with a few things here; the subtle scratch marks in the wordmark, and 'BEARS' down the side of the pants leg, and the uniform in general. I still kept the 'GSH' but as a patch on the left chest as opposed to the sleeves. I know the Bears have a lot of history in their uniforms and generally people wouldn't approve of a 'modernization', so in lieu of that I went and did it anyway! Have at it:

ChicagoBearsConceptV1.gif

ChicagoBearsUniforms.gif

Thanks to Brandon Odis/Andrew Harrington for the uniform/helmet template.

I like where this is going Ian. The Bear logo is really nice. I think the Bears wordmark could afford to be kerned more tightly though. I just think it would look better. The helmet is really good as well. I also love the font and the jersey design, but I'm not sure what the thing that looks like strings going ovet the back is supposed to be. Also the numbers and names on the back look too big. Overall, this is an awesome concept. Very nice job, man.

I'm not fond of the new logo- its hard to tell just what it is unless you look closely. If I hadn't known in advance it was the Bears, I'd have been thinking 'anthill' til I looked closely at the detail.

I like the side-striping/piping on the jerseys and pants, though.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I like the idea on the Bear head but it looks like it's howling or belting out some opera as opposed to growling or roaring. I'm no expert but it seems in pics you see of bears, their heads aren't thrown back like this. The unis look good but the wordmark in the pants stripe doesn't work.

growling-bear_967.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I think my one problem with the bear is his eye. It looks too cartoony, like a stuffed animal eye. If you make it fiercer, it'll help a lot.

Everything else is very good. I really like the modern uni design, but don't like the wordmark on the pant leg and how it breaks up the striping. Messes up the flow.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Dang it Ian, you beat me to the punch. I was doing a 'Grizzlies' concept in my series, and the logos and wordmarks are almost dead ringers for what you've made... So I'll have to rethink that....

I don't have any problem seeing the logo as a bear. I think it's very well rendered and produced. I do, however, think that his pose is a bit awkward. It looks like he's looking behind himself--over his shoulder--to roar at something. That doesn't convey a sense of aggression to me, it's almost like he's fleeing from something and yelling back at it. I may be overthinking this, but it's just a slightly odd pose. I think with a different pose this could be fantastic. One last quick thought: I'd lose the pupil on the eye. When I think bear, I think dark, solid, soul-less eyes, without shiny pupils.

The wordmark is sweet. No complaints whatsoever.

I don't have a problem with piping on the unis, but right now they're not quite working. Firstly, I'd lose the 'Bears' on the pants. It breaks up that nice smooth piping and isn't necessary, IMO. Secondly, on the blue jersey, I'd make the piping orange on the outside and white on the inside, to match the numbers. Lastly, the way the piping terminates at the collar is odd. Everywhere else, it's smooth and curving slightly, but when it ends the white disappears and it makes a sharp turn into the collar. Refine those things, and I think it works.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I feel like the eye is either in the wrong place, or needs to be closed (like their alternate with the bear inside the wishbone "C"). Looks like it's popping out of his head. Redefine that area, and you have one cool bear logo considering it's at an angle we rarely see.

I like the logo, although I think the mouth should be larger. As for the jersey/pants, I don't care much for the striping/wordmark use. I would either stick to more traditional striping or go with bear claw markings. As it is, I believe the striping should be heavier orange compared to the white.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Wow, tis a great concept. But I just have an issue or two concerning the Bears.

The logo's good and showing how to progress an identity for the Monsters of the Midway, but it shouldn't replace the ole wishbone "C". Even though so many other teams have used it in the past, although most importantly...the Bears have adapted the C logo from their college counterparts, the University of Chicago Maroons. To keep it on the helmet (with some slight modernization touches, of course) would continue to tie it with its history. You know, Gale Sayer, the '85 Bears, the Fridge, Sweetness... To keep that "C" on there would keep (in my opinion) an icon intact.

One more thing that I want to see is "GSH" somewhere on the uniform. Maybe even a small sticker on the back of the helmet or on the sleeve. George Halas is that other great link to the rich history of the Bears. However, if that patch on the upper right of the uniform is towards the original "Papa Bear"...then I'm content.

Overall, I really like the uniform design. The wordmark is a great replacement for the present wordmark while the uniform could present itself as a forebearer to uniforms to come. Aside from my two cents, I think this is a very well-done concept. Kudos to you, good sir!

Ian, I respect you as a designer, and you have made some sick logos in the past, but I have to say I'm not feeling this one at all. The main logo has some issues and everybody has made them pretty clear; what stands out to me is the overall look of the eyes, nose, and mouth. This area of the face is extremely small compared to the rest of the logo, so basically the fur part dominates it. The eye is too small and positioned awkwardly, although I don't really know what to do to make the postion look better, you could prolly just mess around with it to find out, though. The tongue and nose are also really small. Something about the nose, I don't know, it makes it look really un-bear-ish. The jerseys and pants, I think, are overdesigned. It took me a second to figure out that it said Bears on the leg, it's too small and blurs with the piping. It ends up looking more like random striping. The jersey design is an interesting idea, but it doesn't really flow well into the pants, and i think the orange "yoke" piping near the collar is unnecessary. I'm sure you can improve on this, though.

I love the presentation, because it's so professionally done, and the logo is nice (although the eye does seem a little weird). But, for a team so steeped in tradition, I'm not feeling the unis. The swoop on the jersey, the piping on the shoulders, the new number font, and most of all those pants just don't do it for me. Maybe for an AFL team these would work, but not for the Chicago Bears. I appreciate the effort, and am very impressed by your creativity, so don't take it the wrong way.

scotland_fifasig.png

Archived