Pitcher traded for bats found dead.

sacker12

No one is worthless enough to be traded for bats. It's sort of funny on the surface, but symbolically it is awful. Human life is always going to be more valuable than sticks made of wood.

But in sports, they don't trade for human lives. They trade for what a guy can do on the field, or whatever helps the club. His former team couldn't use him, and from all accounts I've read couldn't unload him anywhere else. They thought they could use the bats more than his services. They got something for him. That's sports, and specifically in this case, minor league sports.

As for BJ, I'm pretty much done debating with him. He's letting his modest-at-best connection to the guy get in the way of reason and realism.

All I'm doing is thinking about him as a human being, not a story. Something you're obviously unable to do.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No one is worthless enough to be traded for bats. It's sort of funny on the surface, but symbolically it is awful. Human life is always going to be more valuable than sticks made of wood.

But in sports, they don't trade for human lives. They trade for what a guy can do on the field, or whatever helps the club. His former team couldn't use him, and from all accounts I've read couldn't unload him anywhere else. They thought they could use the bats more than his services. They got something for him. That's sports, and specifically in this case, minor league sports.

As for BJ, I'm pretty much done debating with him. He's letting his modest-at-best connection to the guy get in the way of reason and realism.

All I'm doing is thinking about him as a human being, not a story. Something you're obviously unable to do.

No, I'm able. It's just that reasonable people have much thicker skin.

It's not a thick skin issue, it's a having no heart issue.

Dude, I'm a sports writer who puts his byline on stories, some of them which get pretty heavily criticized by readers, coaches, parents, et cetera. To do my job well (which I do, despite all of the time I spend here) I have to be reasonable and have pretty thick skin.

It's not a thick skin issue, it's a having no heart issue.

No, it's about proper perspective. On both our part, and his.

Dude, I'm a sports writer who puts his byline on stories, some of them which get pretty heavily criticized by readers, coaches, parents, et cetera. To do my job well (which I do, despite all of the time I spend here) I have to be reasonable and have pretty thick skin.

I was talking about Odom.

The man was 26 years old. At that age he had a future in front of him, whatever it may have been. Music? as the article says he played gutiar. Does anyone know what he was doing in the several months before his death? Accidental overdose? with all the drugs in his body...man that is pretty bad. He needed help for his drug problem and no one was there for the dude, from what I read. You dont just go to your drug dealer and say, gimme this and this and wait....what am i forgetting? oh throw in some smack. I dont know the guy, and im not all torn up about his death but, if it were my son.....I would be devistated.

I was talking about Odom.

Oh. Didn't make that clear.

Thick skin or not, what happened was very difficult for him. Reason has nothing to do with it.

How is trading for bats any different than a major league team trading for an "expiring contract?"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Thick skin or not, what happened was very difficult for him. Reason has nothing to do with it.

I would make the point, however, that when you decide to be a pro athlete at any level, you need to develop that thick skin. When you're going into an opposing ballpark (or arena, or what have you), fans can get on you and break you down in a hurry.

If you're not mentally prepared to deal with any of that, then it's time to call it a day and go get your real estate license or learn to sell copiers.

At the end of the day, he got to eke out a living doing what he loved, and got some infamy out of the deal. Granted that infamy could have led to his downfall, but in the end, we'll never know exactly what made him do what he did. He succeeded in ways that most of us could ever dream of, and died in a manner none of us could think of.

But he was still less than a footnote in history. Let's all just let it die already.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Remember remember, the suicide of November.

I certainly don't remember.

However, the third of September, that day I'll always remember. Yes, I will.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Ah, yes. That was the day that your daddy died.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Ah, yes. That was the day that your daddy died.

He was a rolling stone, after all. Wherever he laid his hat was his home.

It was inevitable.

I never really got a chance to see him. I never heard anything but bad things about him.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived