On St. Patty's Day, who DOESN'T wear green?

SteveR

Of all the teams, something just doesn't ring true about Notre Dame not wearing anything special on March 17. At home, even.

Heck, UAB had more green on than the Irish.

capt.29a232291b324ebc9f4cf0f687c83d2d.nit_uab_notre_dame_basketball_injr101.jpg

On an afterthought ... at least they didn't wear those flourescent lime things.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

actual irish* people.

*people who live in/have lived in ireland.

its just not a big deal there. its bigger in london where i currently

live than where my mas from in ireland.

in the usa its just insane.

actual irish* people.

*people who live in/have lived in ireland.

its just not a big deal there. its bigger in london where i currently

live than where my mas from in ireland.

in the usa its just insane.

I lived in Northern Ireland for 14 years, and never once celebrated St. Patrick's day until I moved to the mainland.

Though I did come from a place where they don't take too kindly to the wearing of green and shamrocks, or really doing anything associated with Ireland.

Aren't blue and gold the traditional colors of Ireland? I think green is only a more recent thing.

Green or green and gold as "Irish" colors date to at least the 1840s. You find those colors being used by Irish nationalists in Ireland and North America for flags, banners, clothing, militia uniforms, and whatnot. Granted, you find a lot of variation, often based on using materials at hand in other colors, such as blue or tan when using surplus American military uniforms, but the green or green-and-gold things are the consistent thread. And honestly, if you go back very far before the 1840s, the idea of "national colors" is an anachronism, in that very few "nations" as we understand the term existed prior to 1800.

20082614447.png

Aren't blue and gold the traditional colors of Ireland? I think green is only a more recent thing.

Green or green and gold as "Irish" colors date to at least the 1840s. You find those colors being used by Irish nationalists in Ireland and North America for flags, banners, clothing, militia uniforms, and whatnot. Granted, you find a lot of variation, often based on using materials at hand in other colors, such as blue or tan when using surplus American military uniforms, but the green or green-and-gold things are the consistent thread. And honestly, if you go back very far before the 1840s, the idea of "national colors" is an anachronism, in that very few "nations" as we understand the term existed prior to 1800.

Well, I didn't say national colors, I said traditional colors. I could have sworn that I read that early on in the Kingdom of Ireland that blue and gold were the royal colors. Even today, the Presidential Standard and the Coat of Arms are a golden harp on a blue background.

spacer.png

Much in the same vein as Cinco de Mayo, I find people use St. Patrick's Day (if they're not Irish) as an excuse to get trashed. So every year to protest I wear my England soccer jersey and abstain from wearing anything green at all. Then I celebrate St. George's Day just for the hell of it.

OD_Signature.jpg

Much in the same vein as Cinco de Mayo, I find people use St. Patrick's Day (if they're not Irish) as an excuse to get trashed. So every year to protest I wear my England soccer jersey and abstain from wearing anything green at all. Then I celebrate St. George's Day just for the hell of it.

I'm with you, but check the Graveyard for a thread that ended badly when I tried to push the same idea.

I'm with you, but check the Graveyard for a thread that ended badly when I tried to push the same idea.

I'm guessing we won't find a Los Lakers jersey in your closets. :P

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived