Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Predictions:

East:

#1 Columbus Crew vs. #4 Real Salt Lake - Crew have been too good all season, I don't thinkk that they're going to have a disappointment in this round.

#2 Chicago Fire vs. #3 New England Revolution - There's always an upset in the MLS playoffs, & I'm guessing that it'll come here. The Revs have been playing good football as of late, & I think that now will be the time that the Fire will begin to miss McBride roaming the field.

West:

#1 Los Angeles Galaxy vs. #4 Chivas USA - The G's won the regular season Clasico, & looked to be the better team in every matchup. Plus, LA's been stunning ever since they got their best finishing striker in Edson Buddle back.

#2 Houston Dynamo vs. #3 Seattle Sounders FC - This will be the most interesting matchup of the playoffs. The Dynamo know how to win at this point of the season which is why I'm picking them, but who knows? The Open Cup Champs may still have some magic left in the tank for a MLS Cup run as well. Either way, I think this will be close.

Should be some pretty entertaining playoffs!

#2 Houston Dynamo vs. #3 Seattle Sounders FC - This will be the most interesting matchup of the playoffs.

What does it say when you have two pretty big rivalries in the first round (Chivas/LA and NE/Chicago)... and this is the most interesting matchup? I think it says these could be pretty damned entertaining playoffs.

I can't believe I'm passing on going to MLS Cup in Seattle. Damned being responsible!

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#2 Houston Dynamo vs. #3 Seattle Sounders FC - This will be the most interesting matchup of the playoffs.

What does it say when you have two pretty big rivalries in the first round (Chivas/LA and NE/Chicago)... and this is the most interesting matchup? I think it says these could be pretty damned entertaining playoffs.

I can't believe I'm passing on going to MLS Cup in Seattle. Damned being responsible!

Even worse if the Sounders make it to the Final.

Interesting playoffs this year.

First Round

Columbus Crew - Real Salt Lake (Crew are just a better team)

New England Revs - Chicago Fire (Fire are just not clicking as a team even with Blanco)

Los Angeles Galaxy - Chivas USA (SuperClasico! Donovan and Beckham are out to prove something)

Houston Dynamo - Seattle Sounders (This is a tough one, I think Seattle will have the edge)

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

Didn't really want to start a new thread for this, but it looks like several USL-1 clubs are breaking away to start a new league, including the going-to-MLS Whitecaps.

Clickity click.

(Whitecaps president Bob) Lenarduzzi said that the Team Owners Association (TOA), a group of USL franchises that includes the Whitecaps and the Impact, would actively try to start up a breakaway league. The TOA would first need permission from the United States Soccer Federation, soccer's governing body in the U.S., before it could form its own league.

"We're still pursuing the new league alternative, and by the end of the week, we should have our application into the USSF for them to grant us that status," said Lenarduzzi, who was a member of the Canadian national team the competed at the 1986 World Cup.

The other USL clubs in the TOA are the Atlanta Silverbacks, Carolina RailHawks, Miami FC, Minnesota Thunder, St. Louis Soccer United and Tampa Bay Rowdies.

Lenarduzzi declined to elaborate on what the key issues were in the negotiations with the league owners, merely saying that there wasn't "enough common ground" in the long-standing talks about restructuring the USL between the two sides.

According to the radio interview, the TOA feels that expansion has been handled more than half-assedly by the league, and the markets that they have been targeting aren't exactly top- or second-tier. I'm sure there are more, but they're concerned about the long-term financial viability of the USL, while the league looks to be on AFL-style life support.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Seattle, Portland, Vancouver and most likely Montreal will/have been lost to MLS. It will be hard for USL to recover from those loses. They should just merge USL1 and USL2 to become one division and hopefully they can survive. Also I doubt that MLS will take over USL.

untitled21.jpg

That sort of merger won't happen. The USL-2 teams are in USL-2 because they want a hyper-regional league; for example, Richmond "self-relegated" so they could play in a bus league again. Austin, Tampa, Minnesota, etc, aren't anywhere close to their current footprint.

POTD 2013-08-22

Seattle, Portland, Vancouver and most likely Montreal will/have been lost to MLS. It will be hard for USL to recover from those loses. They should just merge USL1 and USL2 to become one division and hopefully they can survive. Also I doubt that MLS will take over USL.

Don't forget that during the late 1990s and early 2000s, the Rochester Rhinos were considering joining MLS.

0-0 Tie for Houston and Seattle. Very physical match (6 Yellow Cards, and 24 Fouls between both teams). As a Seattle fan I feel that Pat Onstad should've been red carded for blatantly shoving Freddie Montero down.. I think it's only because some of the Sounders came to Montero's defense in a small scuffle- thus two Yellow cards were given- one to Onstad the other to Montero. Though- I think this picture speaks well.

15341_161735518588_34459843588_2893731_2593227_n.jpg

Oh well. Me complaining about it won't do anything to change the outcome. Next match for these two is on Sunday the 8th, in Houston. Should be an interesting, physical match. Go Sounders!

Lots of fouls & lots of cards? That definitely sounds like a game that Ricardo Salazar officiated. :P

And, believe it or not, he was actually conservative with his cards. Ching should have had one for a late challenge in the first half, not long after Onstad should have been sent off.

POTD 2013-08-22

Rio Tinto is no treat for the Crew as RSL shocks the defending champs 1-0.

on the other hand Crew Stadium will not be a nice to RSL. Columbus will win 2-1 aggregate

untitled21.jpg

on the other hand Crew Stadium will not be a nice to RSL. Columbus will win 2-1 aggregate

Yeah all the Crew have to do is win by 1 and force PKs right? Or is it by road goals?

2009 Rules of Competition, Playoffs:

The team that scores the most goals in the home-and-home series advances to the single elimination Conference Championship. If the teams are tied after 180 minutes in the Conference Semifinal series, a 30-minute extra time period (divided into two 15-minute periods) will be played followed by kicks from the penalty mark, if necessary. The team with the higher seed between the two Conference finalists will host the Conference Championship game.

In the case of ties after 90 minutes of regulation in the Eastern and Western Conference Championship games and MLS Cup, 30 minutes of extra time (divided into two 15-minute periods) would be played followed by kicks from the penalty mark, if necessary, to determine the winners.

Yeah all the Crew have to do is win by 1 and force PKs right? Or is it by road goals?

2009 Rules of Competition, Playoffs:

The team that scores the most goals in the home-and-home series advances to the single elimination Conference Championship. If the teams are tied after 180 minutes in the Conference Semifinal series, a 30-minute extra time period (divided into two 15-minute periods) will be played followed by kicks from the penalty mark, if necessary. The team with the higher seed between the two Conference finalists will host the Conference Championship game.

In the case of ties after 90 minutes of regulation in the Eastern and Western Conference Championship games and MLS Cup, 30 minutes of extra time (divided into two 15-minute periods) would be played followed by kicks from the penalty mark, if necessary, to determine the winners.

So if say Columbus Crew leads 2-1 after the first 15-minute period they still play the second? And RSL still has a chance to come back after the Crew would score correct?

(Oh and yes that was supposed to sound like Sunny Day in Backyard Soccer)

6fQjS3M.png

Archived